Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / no quest, no plot, gameplaying

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

feilos
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 at 21:40 (GMT -5)

Has anybody have tried my idea of playing not to finish the game of ADOM? but to just go out in the fields, bash monsters, grow herbs, hang in the ID? instead of progressing through the game with quest 1 then 2 etc...
What I call idle gameplay...AD&D living.
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7056 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 00:59 (GMT -5)

Nope?

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 3 hours, 57 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

I go into the Draklor chain to be strong, then to close the gate, that's all. My first quest is usually the Dwarven quest, but not always. If i don't need literacy, i might as well walk around, kill monsters, get items "and stuff like that" :D

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 19:33 (GMT -5)

I sometimes try to complete the entire game -- maximum quests, every intrinsic, every accomplishment (cat lord, head of theives guild, etc.) every map, maximum artifacts (42 is my best), Max Attributes, every skill, every spell.

I also try to populate Terinyo with every unique I can (Grunge, Munge, Crimelord, Kranach, Shriek, Barbarian, both unicorns, every beggar I find, Hawkslayer, etc.) Someday, I want to try to bring Filk there.
Smegalicious
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

Why do stuff like quests, anyways? I read a walkthrough on the web for non-quest gaming, and it said, essentially, "Take every new character to the cave NE of Terinyo. If they can't survive to 5th level, they're useless." Bwahah!
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5767 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

How did you get Kranach to Terinyo? Did you calm him down with Calm Monster (I thought uniques were immune), or frighten him then offer him peace? And did the sheriff go wild and attack him when you brought him there?
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 08:15 (GMT -5)

How do you offer peace to a monster?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

When I first started playing ADOM I'd play rangers, then do the carpenter quest... at that point if I had a girdle of carrying I'd go out and cut logs, and sell them... if I didn't, I'd use Survival to pick seeds and sell them... took forever pressing buttons over and over, but I amassed a small fortune in gp. Naturally if I had gotten much further than I did, the post-90-day (by several years) corruption would have killed me rather quickly--chances are, by the time those characters got past the wall of flames, the corruption rate would have been high enough to make the ChAoS plane seem like DH:10! :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

Lurker, if you talk to a frightened monster ADOM will ask you whether you want to offer peace. If you do, it'll "gladly accept the chance to surrender" and will be non-hostile, at least for a while.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7764 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Hmmmm once I play with my trolish thief by 1300000 turns (one milion three hundreds tousends)... And when I finally get 45 level I get twins and kill AD
My other PC grey elven necro close the gate and go to Infinity down down and down on 2048 level and going continuing this amazing adventure, never ending adventure

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7186 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

I usually begin in da ID, come in-come out until i find tension room.
oh, btw, 'bou cat lord. i killed only one cat, and does this mean that everything is lost?!

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6971 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Yes, it is. Very hard to get this ring. I was that lucky only once.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7186 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

and if i tame a thousand cats? :)

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Archangel
Registered user
The Creator's servant

Last page view:

7358 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

I know I'm not the most experienced one here to speak but I think it wasn't *too* difficult to get the ring. I recently managed (finally!!)to get that far and I got the ring.

Do anything to cats but don't kill them. Wand of door creation was extremely useful here...

I hereby announce that I am more than willing to kill anyone who dares to cross my way
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin: Re: Kranach, I offered him peace when he was frightened, then left the wilderness scene while he was next to me.

No reaction from Tywat. He ignored Kranach, grunge, Munge, the masterthief, the greater black Unicorn and Hotzenplotz.
Portrait
Chaco The Taco Man
Registered user
The Rebel

Last page view:

7760 days, 3 hours, 12 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

I know C's tried that.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Caladriel, did you ever try to take Jharod to Terinyo the way you did with Kranach? (Turn him hostile, lead him up to VD:1, frighten him, offer him peace, and leave with him.)

If that would work, then you could use the same strategies to take Jharod to Khelavaster and see what happened. Perhaps this would not be such a good idea in 1.1.0, though... you would lead Jharod to Khelavaster, and attempt to frighten him so that you could pacify him, and instead...

Jharod, the healer, decides to fight to the death in a blind rage! Jharod, the healer, attacks Khelavaster, the dying sage. Khelavaster, the dying sage, is killed! Jharod, the healer, suddenly looks more powerful.

(N.B. This post is pure speculation. My one attempt to take Jharod to Khelavaster ended on VD:1 when I discovered that he was immune to Calm Monster.)
Portrait
Damon
Registered user

Last page view:

7737 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 04:32 (GMT -5)

I usually always try to save the puppy dog just to see if my character is strong enough. I then do the other 2 quests and then hang around the wilderness and the ID looking for experience, items and gold. Then when I'm strong enough I go looking for an alter and go from there.

Dekkar
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

Well, seeing if your starting character is strong enough is somewhat stupid imo. It all depends on the luck in your first 10 levels or so. For example, archers have it very easy until lvl 15, but if by then you weren't lucky enough to find at least one good item, you're screwed. You just need that random artifact which you get once out of 50 games, and lose the character in a stupid way.

Imo, items with special prefix and suffix should spawn more often to low level characters, and be protected by stronger monsters. Then as you grow in level, this special even would be replaced by Artifacts and unique monsters.

Have a nice day, Later!
Portrait
ABCGi
Registered user
Atomic Bacterial Chemical

Last page view:

7619 days, 1 hour, 10 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 at 22:20 (GMT -5)

I've recently been testing out ADoM Sage 1.1.1 and have been purely role-playing mythical characters. So Frodo the hobbit thief runs around avoiding fights and picking all the stealthy, quick stats. Depending on the character being played they may or may not be interested in doing certain quests, and more likely to give up if its too tough etc. It's kind of fun, and nice not to have to worry about picking the "optimal" skills and talents, instead picking the most suitable for the character.

Merry the Hobbit was going great until the game crashed leaving the Minstrels where I had brought Shrek, the Sheriff and the Old Barbarian all in one fellowship group :-(

……ABCGi

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: