Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Linux

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours, 38 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

This was getting off topic so I started a new thead:

In the "Your first system" Ryan Klein said:

neat-o

I have yet to try linux. Is it any good? Are there a good number of good games for it (civilization, sim city, etc.)
-----------------------------------------

Sure the OS is good enough (I have a very old version of it though, running on a 486, so I probably don't get the best out of it :-p)...

I'm sure you can get most of the major "clasics" for Linux (or at least remakes of them), as well as the odd "last year's" game (I know you can get Quake 3 for a fact)... You won't get the bleeding edge of new games though. You can run a PC emulator if you have a powerfull enough computer, but most games also require spesific hardware drivers wich is hard to emulate properly...

You can also have difficulty getting drivers to all the latest hardware and such...

Other than games you can get software to fill all your needs. There are excelent "office" suites that can use all the major file formats. Lots of excelent software developement tools, and several good immage prosessing tools and so on... You name it...

And naturaly there is an ADOM version for Linux, in fact it is made for Linux on Linux and then ported to DOS as I understand it...

If you have enough hard drive space you can have the best of both worlds though, just install both Windows and Linux on the same comp, leave a partition in FAT32 format and you can use it to "share" files between the two (Windows can't read Linux partitions and Linux can't read NTFS or doublespace parittions (at least not the one I have))...

If you get an old version like the one I have it takes some getting used to though, a LOT of settings you can tweak and a lot of commands you should learn (you CAN boot in X Windows mode though, but it's not very fast on a 486...)

I'm sure some actual Linux users have something more intelligent to say though, I'm just a newbie when it comes to Linux realy... All I have is an old "demo" CD with Read Hat 6.2 and Helix Gnome preview 1 (the GUI (Windows) system) that I got for free at some computer show/convention thing some years back... Think Red Hat is up to major version 7. something now...

And then you have "Lindows" it's supposed to be VERY user friendly and easy to use, but it's a commercial distribution so you'll have to shell out a few $$ for it...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/8/2002 at 20:16 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1657 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

Hopefully, when I get my new computer, I can talk to my wholesaler friend about partitioning it on to my hard drive

With kazaa, there is no commercial software

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: