Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / what new would be good

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7191 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

oke, now i'd like to ask, what new would you like to see in roguelike games? For example, sleeping (don't know any games with this one), or flying monsters, or big monsters, more than one square... Let's discuss it.

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1661 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

This is gonna be big. I can feel it.

Flying wouldn't work too well. It's only ascii.

ZAngband had something LIKE sleeping. I feel it would add realism.

Big characters woul be pretty cool.

If we're gonna talk about size, how about cone spells?

Cities would be cool. Massive sprawling villages. Why do we only have 3 villages. We need a heavily populated area being torn to shit by 3x3 square demons. chaos and death and screaming.

Let's get this party started
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

If you want to talk about adding realism...

How about a strength/toughness decrease with hitpoint loss? That would be much more realistic... nobody's going to be able to deal a full-strength blow to anything while bleeding and mortally wounded.

I've seen a roguelike with sleep and fatigue levels; ever heard of alphaman? It seems to be more of an annoyance than anything else, though; if you're too fatigued you'll pass out until you're woken up by something or other chewing on you...

How about an NPC who gives out an unlimited number of quests for random rewards? Something like "Kill a *foo*" and when you do, they give you a random item... that would be really cool, you could get a wand of wishing for killing a rat... :) Or, for that matter, you might end up with a pile of rocks for killing a balor. You'd still get the xp, of course...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6299 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

I'd like a bit more realism, I like playing sim games as well, I like struggling to control many things in a game. ADOM REALLY NEEDS POLYMORPH, it would then be the best game ever!
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7191 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

and what about halberds falling out of rats? In adom, that can happen...
anything else?

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Chaco The Taco Man
Registered user
The Rebel

Last page view:

7764 days, 13 hours, 58 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

Sounds good too me that would make it harder!
Portrait
Ranger
Registered user
Drakish Ranger

Last page view:

7709 days, 1 hour, 58 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

well ofcourse its easy to say "just make it bigger"but if u try the online game icesus.that would be a great roguelike..a realtime world hundreds of enviroments,hunting fishing,trapping,camping,tons of skills,tons of quests,but since icesus is an online multiplayer rogue-like rpg mite as well just play it,seeing as how its free and continues to expand.
http://www.icesus.org

http://www.geocities.com/rogue_likes_arena/

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/20/2003 at 05:13 (GMT -5) by Ranger]
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7350 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 at 22:40 (GMT -5)

Yo C...Adom does have polymorph, and if you complain about it at www.adom.de you're going to be laughed at, because people have done it so much.

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4903 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 at 01:25 (GMT -5)

What about being able to BUILD something?Houses,and stuff.Or build your own shop and sell your stuff.I just wish ADOM could do that.

Boredom ceases bladder.
Portrait
Ranger
Registered user
Drakish Ranger

Last page view:

7709 days, 1 hour, 58 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

anarchy u should try the muds either
icesus,or achae u can run your own store there.
besides u would have to be playing an online mud to run your own store..or who else would be your customers.go here and check out those muds.be sure to clik on the java clients.
http://www.topmudsites.com

http://www.geocities.com/rogue_likes_arena/
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7049 days, 13 hours, 1 minute and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

I'm not interested in MMORPGs or MUDs, I kinda like the single-player experience. I haven't experienced a whole lot of ADOM yet (I keep getting killed), but from what I can see, here's what would make it more interesting...

Obvious 'MORE' stuff:
- more monsters, weapons, armor, spells, skills, classes, races, places, quests etc. more is generally better with this kind of thing, as long as it doesn't start getting stupid (i.e. "The Ozzman instructs you to return with a bat head, which you must win from Banrey the Purple Dinosaur"... keep it (non) real).

- Option to turn on world persistance/reset world. One game (moria?) allowed you to run into ghosts of former characters. I think that's a little much, but I like the idea of having an NPC stay dead from game to game until you state in the startup menu that you'd like to start from scratch.

- Enhanced NPC immersion - don't just give me a quest and wait for me to complete it, do something! With today's computers, I'd imagine you should be able to give each NPC a list of characters/items it values or wishes to acquire, and have 'em go about achieving that goal. Somebody wrote a bot for one of these rogue-like games... apply it to NPCs, see how they act (and interact), give them priorities, and tweak away. I'd imagine family and treasure would feature high among the 'protect, recover and avenge' lists of most NPCs.

- Dynastic play. Somehow, the idea of my character achieving goals is good... but does anyone else find the idea of (stay with me, here) heritage interesting? Granted, the idea needs a lot of fleshing out, but as far as I can tell, you basically need to add the priority feature above to fake the concept of a relationship (companion). After that (before it?) you need sex... nothing gory... in fact, you could probably get by with the simple message "*foo* is expecting a child..." or you make it mystical. Something with a druid ;-) At any rate, my thinking is that the physical can somehow be assumed. Easier to handle if you incorporate sleep.

Anyhow, once we found out that your PC (or the NPC) is all a-pregnant, it's a matter of figuring out how to pass the time gracefully. I haven't had an ADOM character make it much past three weeks, not to mention 40 weeks plus post-pardom recovery. So... I figure it's easier to let them go to a village, and decide to stay there for a year. Both chars (all chars) get a year older, skills drop a little bit (or whatever), and bam, there's a child.

"It takes a village to raise a child..." so let it. After the birth, both the PC and NPC are free to pick the adventure up and carry on, sans children. Finally, after the PC's death, when you go to create a new character, you have the option of either resetting the world and starting with a new character..... or having a look at the stats of your kids and selecting one of them. You start playing the child at whatever 17-or-so is for the race of the kid. The "heir" talent gives you an honest-to-god heirloom... preferably one that had been passed to your PC parent by his or her PC parent, but if none exist, you get something cool that they had.

Whatever you do, please dear god make village people do something for themselves. Give them full inventory, the desire to wear/wield/own powerful things. If someone wants their dog back really badly, I expect they'd ask EVERYONE, not just one ugly troll who happenned by. I bet the sheriff might value the little girl or the puppy enough to go get 'em. Someone certainly should have gone after that farmer by the time your PC arrived, especially if you didn't ask about him for a few months. How the puppy and farmer survive so long, I'll never know.

Quests happen when Person A wants Item/Power/Status/Wealth B, and needs help in order to acquire it. So Person A asks for help, usually offers some sort of reward ("here's what it's worth to me"). If you randomize that stuff at the start of the world, you do occasionally get stuff like a farmer's wife who really wants the Exquisite Necklace of Sharro, knows that she can't get it herself (tried and got hurt, or someone she valued tried and got hurt or died), so she's given up and wants someone else to get it. Someone willing to get it. Someone willing to get it for whatever she's offerring (she found a nifty piece of glass)

whatever

The point is, there's a lot to be explored regarding NPC relationships, interactions, and participation.

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 01:02 (GMT -5)

sorry about the rant

~Kryllion~
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1661 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 01:35 (GMT -5)

that's some good ideas

Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4903 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 06:02 (GMT -5)

I got a major headache reading that.But still,you
got a point.

Boredom ceases bladder.
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 23:04 (GMT -5)

thanks... sorry again about the length

~Kryllion~
Rhinchix
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

How bout dirtness lvl

"You have no forks or plates to eat with,still eat"Yes,No'

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

LOL... forks, huh? That's what rations are for... you eat 'em with your hands :)

I do think that there ought to be limits on eating corpses of sentient creatures, at least for a PC that isn't troll or orc (or perhaps chaotic). I mean, think about it... a lawful gray elven wizard, snacking on the corpse of the black hurthling he's just fried with an acid bolt, when he's got perfectly good rations and herbs in his pack? Don't think so.

I think you ought to have to be either troll, orc, chaotic, or starving with no other food in your pack in order to be allowed to eat humanoid corpses...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

You shouldn't be able to eat your own species 'corpses (like nethack maybe a punishment) that's just wrong (unless you are staving) and you could get disease by eating raw meat.
Annonymous
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 20:19 (GMT -5)

How about guns? U can have a limited supply of bullets and gunpowder.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7318 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

I dont personally like the idea of guns becaus i prefer herioc fantasy, but what *would* be cool would be Exploding arrows/quarrels, they would work like an improved fireball but without willpower affecting the radius.

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6676 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm.

getting Diseased. Diseased=You feel wery bad and your stats decrease greatly, but everyone near you would get diseased too! :D

Professions

3D Hi Quality Sounds

More Everything

Almost all games get dead at version 0.02 id like to see adom likish "never to end" projeckts^^

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7318 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Families! your great hero gets married, has a family, goes off and dies on some quest - *then* the eldest son (or daughter) goes forth to avenge his fathers death and save the world!
(continue untill a) world is saved or b) you run out of sons and daughters)

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Hmm. So yuo only have to get billions of sons/daughters and then dont worry about death^^

Maybe you could eat 1 of them =P

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

Now i know- Slaves*g*

Make enemies surrender then make them carry your things or fight etc OR you could sell them:D

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

I think the pet/companion code would need to be improved first.

Tekki- since when does ADOM have polymorph? There are potions of exchange, but you can't polymorph yourself.

I'd like to see a bigger magic system. More spells and types of casters. Add some more casting skills too. Speaking of skills, I wish ADOM used a more progressive skill system. Instead of 1-100, every level you go up you can increase a skill 1 or so levels. (like from 0 to 30 or so) More like how they have it in D&D and those types of games.
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7194 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

Oh, that was me. My browser sometimes forget's that I'm logged on. If you don't beleive me, go find my Magic RFE at the ADOM site...

You have to remember that these games aren't all about hunting and trappin and camping and wildeness encounters. Surviving amid civilization can be just as hard. We need some more role-playing elements.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: