Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Big or small?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

Suppose you run the adom window in a 50 lines view, this extends every level further downwards, yes? If every level is bigger, do they include more monsters, more items, etc? Anyone play like this? Just wondering if my trolls would have more to kill to level up faster...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 at 15:57 (GMT -5)

Don't bother, I just played like that for five minutes and my eyes hurt like hell. My monitor is just too small for that kind of stuff...

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 01:35 (GMT -5)

How do you do that? 50 lines, I mean... I've got Win. 98 if that matters any...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7764 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

Game on 50 lines is more dangerous than normal, but there is biger dungeons to explore:)
Just check properties of adom.exe and change number of lines in screen menu. That style of game is good for trolls,

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

And the game looks real weird :) But I've got to get a bigger monitor like 21" :P Don't want to ruin my vision.

Elethiomel
Registered user

Last page view:

7678 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 06:39 (GMT -5)

Or you can do a, in win 98 "mode co 80 50"
in win NT, 2k, and probably XP, you can do a "mode con cols=80 lines=50" in command prompt before you start the game.

I always play at 80x50, and I keep falling to corruption because you spend so much longer in each dungeon level. And some of the dungeons are MUCH MUCH more dangerous, for instance the dwarven graveyard - the "middle room" there is 5 lines tall on a 25 line screen, but _30_ lines tall on a 50 line screen; this is because all the "padding" around the main room remains constant, so all the 25 extra lines go to making that room bigger.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/21/2002 at 07:01 (GMT -5) by Elethiomel]
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7056 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I have played adom trough thrice and always with 50 lines. It's really harder and playing through takes more time but it's really worth it. There's so much stuff in the Big Shop and so many artifacts. But now I'm playing with less lines cause I dont have so much time to play Adom and I dont want that it takes so much time...

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/21/2002 at 06:41 (GMT -5) by Tanthalas Pathfinder]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

Playing on the bigger dungeons is worth it! The special locations still remain the same, but the big room in PC or the Dungeon of Chaos is 4 times bigger. Lots of xps and items:)
But beware - the SMC is a bigger chalange 'cause before you fing the blanket&stairway you are bound to get over lvl 4...

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1657 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

What's the default lines? 25?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

5666 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

Yes I think it's 25.

Elethiomel
Registered user

Last page view:

7678 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

The default for textmode on a PC is 80 coloumns x 25 lines. The "other" modes you can have in text mode are 40x25 and 80x50. Some linux distros have default "super-vga" textmodes that have weird coloumn and line counts (my Mandrake distro has 24 lines and about 92 coloumns default o_O). In windowed mode in NT, 2K and probably XP, you can arbitrarily choose height and with with the "mode con cols=X lines=Y" command.
calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

wow this sounds fun i gotta try it.
its almost like cheating though.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

5666 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

Eh, how so? I think it's intentional.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1657 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

If anything, it makes the game harder.
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6295 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

I would go blind, I have the game only on about medium size on a 5in by 5in monitor.

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 at 07:20 (GMT -5)

[Edit: By the way, Silly me forgot to login. Elethiomel is posting this. :P]

One problem with larger screen sizes is that it increases corruption, since it takes more turns simply to explore the lower levels... not to mention the 5X size of the graveyard part of the graveyard level of the CoC taking *much* longer if you aren't invisible by this point...

Spoiler
of course, the stairs are always in the upper right hand corner of the room so burrowing is possible.

Anyway, I decided to have a little fun with the size settings and set my font size to 8x8, then did a "mode con cols=126 lines=88" in a Command Prompt window in Win2K. That made a text window that fits with a few pixels to spare on all sides of the window if you have 1024x768 and a one-line no-autohiding start bar. If I was less lazy I'd have rebooted in linux and setup a really really small font on some xterm, but hey. Anyway, yeah, I started up a trollish monk and went and rescued Kenny (lesser orc vault generated on PC:6). Then I explored the entirety of PC:6 so an "average level" of 126x88 could be compared with the size of a lesser vault. Then I took a screenshot, for your viewing pleasure, just to give you an idea of what it would be like. (I may post graveyard, elemental temples, bunny level, big shop, etc, if people want me to and I can survive that far... I'm not a very competent player.)

So, without further ado:
http://www.geocities.com/chairmaker_elethiomel/PNGshot.html
http://www.geocities.com/chairmaker_elethiomel/JPGshot.html

(first file is PNG, lossless compression, 44k. Second file is JPG, medium quality, 256k, for those of you without PNG support.)

(I believe it's fixed now. Also, incidentally, I'm running adom-sage, but this should have no influence on the screenshot. I think. Since I disabled "draw blocks" or whateverit'scalled.)

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 12/14/2002 at 07:29 (GMT -5) by its author]
Elethiomel
Registered user

Last page view:

7678 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

It turns out that adom-sage does matter... you need to run it to get screen sizes larger than 80x50 in ADOM.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: