Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Emotions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4694 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Religion and all that Jazz is too long and, besides, it has been superceded by the Religion thread. I am breaking out the emotions topic.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:09 (GMT -5)

In Religion and all that Jazz Caladriel wrote:

Mishka: But what do you think is a bad emotion?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

Mishka wrote:

Caladriel: I just used the word 'bad', but I couldn't really say what emotion would be 'bad'. If one emotion gets too manipulative control of one's personality, that's bad emotion, I think.

Damon: yes, sometimes being neurotic can save your life, which is the case in most of neurtic people. But they have to work it over later, still.

Emotions are important to people, but funnily so is the need to be 'neurotic' too. Some emotions just are too much to handle at certain points in life.

-

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/12/2002 at 18:10 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Luke wrote:

Hmmm, Mishka your not missing out on much. Anger makes you feel very fustrated and stressed out. It usually happens to me when I fail at something important and makes me feel useless. Sometimes I get angry at something else which I blame but inside I know I'm angry at myself.
All negative emotions in my opinion wouldn't exist in utopia.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Mishka wrote:

Luke: Still I'd say anger too is relatively important emotion. I get frustrated and stressed out 'cause I don't get angry. See, there are times when a person just should be angry, not just be cool and say 'it happens... I seem to make other people raging for being ok with everything.
I think that without 'negative' emotions there would be no 'positive' emotions either.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

Luke wrote:

Or would they just be harder to distinguish or define without a comparision?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

Mishka wrote:
Got me lost there, Luke.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

Luke wrote:

Often with most things in life, it's easier to recognise and label something if they have an extreme opposite.
It's easy to define evil for example because you can compare it to good and notice the difference. But without good would evil exist, or would it just be normal standard and not seen as anything really significant.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

SuperLobster wrote:

You would just be plain old "Happy" most days, with a few "Ecstaticly Euphoric" on others...
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:19 (GMT -5)

Personally, I disagree with the entire concept of Positive and Negative emotions. I think Mishka said it very well -- IMHO, if an emotion gets out of control, that is a negative instance of feeling that emotion. The emotion itself is not negative, simply the fact that one has let it take up so much of their life.

Mishka, if you never feel angry, then you are missing out on a lot. Anger can help you focus; it identifies that there is something with which you disagree about a situation.

Just because you never rage does not mean that you do not feel anger. Unless you have accepted everything that has ever happenned to you, I doubt you have never felt anger.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:25 (GMT -5)

Luke: If nothing ever made you unhappy, I think you could still feel happiness. If nothing ever upset you (made you mad) I think you could still feel pleased.

IMHO, there is a third state that also exists: Feeling neither of two "opposite" emotions. There are times when I am neither happy, nor sad. At other times, I am neither angry nor pleased. On any particular scale, there are times when I simply am with regards to a situation
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6116 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 at 01:54 (GMT -5)

Caladriel: I never find myself even thinking angrily. When I get into a situation which could make me angry, I just lock up.
For example, I found my boyfriend and a good friend of mine in our bed together and well just hugged her and said it's allright. I knew I should have been angry at them, but I couldn't.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7308 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

I call that third level contentment, it's not especially good but it's not bad, but since it's not bad I just class it as good enough.

Mishka, I can relate to what your situation, I've felt like that once too. To me it felt like I just couldn't be bothered to care anymore, I didn't feel acceptence like you maybe did but I found myself unable to express my anger, but I did abonden my friend however...

LS
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

Mishka:
. . . Okay, I think we call that REPRESSION! Either that, or you had been planning on dumping the chump all along, and were pleased to finally have a good excuse. (Please tell me you dumped him)

On a serious note, my concern is why you were so accepting. Did you fear that they would reject, or think less of, or not like you? Were you feeling guilty, as if you were partially to blame for the situation? They are the ones who should be answering "Yes" to such questions, not you.

I think I would be angry at that situation, but I hope I would not rage. I would do some serious reevaluating of my "friend" and would try to figure out if I should remain friends with my (now) former significant other if she sincerely apologized.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/13/2002 at 13:21 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6116 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

No, I didn't dump him, actually we're engaged.
And no, I didn't fear those things or felt guilty.
They we're both drunk, so it wasn't all their fault either.
I just accept everything. Because things happen and life goes on.
And I hate fighting, I admit.

But now I have to apologize for taking this thread out of the main conversation, very selfish of me.
My point is that anger is very important emotion to us.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7166 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

I think i'm trying to exercise my brain today.. who know's it it's working or not though.

On polarities and whether one would exist without the other:

Sure, if we didn't get sad we'd still get happy.. actaully, we'd only get happy. But it wouldn't be a good thing then, happy would be normal. Being 'overjoyed' or 'estatic' would replace happy as a 'good' thing.
Perhaps in such a situation we would get tired of being happy all the time, and instead take specific pleasure only from being 'estatic'.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: