Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Should we be worried?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 53 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

Registration, finger printing, photo record and detention of Arabs:

AP News
Yahoo News
ACLU Statement

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/19/2002 at 16:06 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 10 hours, 15 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

All things considered it's understandable that they want to know who they are letting into the country, but i'd say there are defenently reasons to be worried... Especialy when people are detained en-masse bacause of incompentent burocrats have misplaced important documents that where handed in correctly.

Not to mention that "poor" treatment of muslims give those who are trying to make this into a religious war more ammunition.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Orc Man
Registered user
Threadamancer

Last page view:

7699 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at 20:43 (GMT -5)

Thats a Damn good point Jan Erik

"The greatest obstacle obstructing the advancement of the human race, is the human race."
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

I agree that we should know who is in this country, but, since these people already have Visas, shouldn't we already know that they are in the country?

Actually, my main concern is the discrimination. We are singling out Arab (and Iranian and North Korean) males, aged 16 to 45. If we simply want to keep track of visitors, shouldn't all people be fingerprinted and photographed?
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7186 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 at 03:10 (GMT -5)

uhh... there are some guys that were BORN in the USA, but their parents were arabian. They'll have to register soon.
IMHO, it is racism (Spelled correctly?). And US goverment seem to eat too much Greater claw bugs...

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7313 days, 37 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration laws, overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes.

It would be hard to know the difference between incompentent burocrats makng mistakes or weather those arrested were actual crinimals. I doubt though that the innocent will stay jailed for more than a few months though, I guess America just doesn't want to take anymore chances.

LS
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Luke: Do you have a URL for that?

I don't know about you, but I could not be non-chalant about my 17 year old son being jailed for a few months through a burocratic mistake, simply because of his race.

I've been on vacation for the past week and a half, and will have to track down the present status. I know that when I left, people had been held for several days in cells that were not equipped for the number of prisoners, nor with sleeping facilities. The INS was starting to release people on $5,000 bonds, with orders to report again in 30 to 60 days.

Part of my frustration is that we gain nothing from from this violation of people's rights and dignity, other than making arabs look worse in the eyes of the public. If I were a terrorist, I would not voluntarily register, particularly if my papers were out of order; Thus, I doubt that this policy will catch any terrorists.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/31/2002 at 09:03 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
eL (hm)
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

agreed

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: