Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / newbie

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

jammin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

whats up? im new to ADOM and currently have a living hurthling ranger at lvl 14. I want him to start casting battle magic when the need arrises but I havent found any books.

im also new to the forum and wanted to say hi! (to the users, moderators and creators)

peace, i got tons of questions but im in class now...

registered as be jammin. how do I log in?
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6300 days, 1 minute and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

So am I (in class), uh can't get magic untill you find books or potions of wonder. Ifd you are illeterate ask the ancient dwarf for quests ( one I forgot which gives a potion of literacy)
Login at the bottom.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/24/2003 at 12:30 (GMT -5) by C]
Portrait
be jammin
Registered user
The Mad Evilist

Last page view:

7741 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

thanks. were is the dwarven city?

I play adom in class. mwuhahahahaha! >:)~
Portrait
rhino69
Registered user
go forth & see all

Last page view:

7692 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

check out the spoilers page for some info or check all these threads for bit of info so as not to spoil your game (game!) or d\load the great bible of adom here http://www.andywlms.com/adom/ safe living

We all die but few die with honour

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/24/2003 at 13:45 (GMT -5) by rhino69]
Portrait
be jammin
Registered user
The Mad Evilist

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

cool.
can anyone give me some info on how to to keep my spells around? I was playing an orcish wizard and I lost one. this mad me sad since, I want to play a hand to hand capable class with spells as well.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Orcs have low learning which means that you don't get many castings when reading a book. Maybe an orcish elementalist would be better at least in the early game?

I hear drakelings make good wizards.

Or try a high elven priest. They have good skills such as music and detect item status and they find pretty many books but don't suck on the melee side either. And they have good dex to use missiles.

Remember to not kill everything with spells, use missiles and melee weapons on the weaker monsters.

And you don't have to do everything I say, because I don't like to play spellcasters(as much as melee chars) and am not so very good with them:)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
b jammin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

so, higher learning lets you cast more spells. but once it gets down there, are there ways to get it back up without the book? im just curious for future reference, I havent had much luck with spellcasters but they seem more fun to play. it seems a shame that a spellcaster would just forget a spell he learned, especially after casting it so many times.

"i just cast this spell and.... oops, ive forgotten it now" ..my orc mage. do mindcrafters and priests have the same limitations?

my Orcish Mage is now dead, what a suprise.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 16:20 (GMT -5)

All characters can learn and cast spells not just wizards or priests and they all have the same limitations. Don't ever let the spells you've learned drop to 0 castings because you lose your spell effectiveness which can make a big difference. Also remember that you can cast a spell from the book. Downsides are that it costs IIRC three times as much PP, takes three times more time to cast it and doesn't increase it's effectiveness.

Mindcrafters are, I think, the worst class at learning spells(yes, worse than beastfighters and barbarians). I believe lvl 50 mindcrafters with Le 99 could manage to read a spellbooks of light but not much better. Instead they use mindcraft :) Mindcraft abilities do not have a number of castings(which is what spells do), but their powers do not increase in effectiveness from casting them many times(which is what spells do), rather their damage and duration or whatever is calculated directly from your stats(stats also affect spells but spells also take into account their effectiveness).

I believe that the formulas for calculating damage or spells/mindcraft can be found in the manual.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/24/2003 at 16:21 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6300 days, 1 minute and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

Play ADOM in class? The computers in LG have no A:\!

Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

Paladins are good in melee, and also find a reasonable number of books and seem to be able to learn spells quite well, as long as they have decent learning etc. They're more of a melee class than a spellcasting class though.
Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

7752 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

if you ever feel the need to let out some rage and go charging into battle, go with an orcish barbarian.

"Bonk, the Hill Giant, is hit by the icy beam. Bonk, the hill giant is killed!"
Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

7752 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

if you ever feel the need to let out some rage and go charging into battle, go with an orcish barbarian.

"Bonk, the Hill Giant, is hit by the icy beam. Bonk, the hill giant is killed!"
Portrait
rhino69
Registered user
go forth & see all

Last page view:

7692 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

i think i'll stick to human archer ta,so far the only downside is all my own doing - doomed, head growing antlers,and growing hooves ect ect ect
;-0

We all die but few die with honour
Portrait
be jammin
Registered user
The Mad Evilist

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

_Play ADOM in class? The computers in LG have no A:\! _

heck ya C. I got my own hard drive and everything.

hey, thanks for your input guys. ive been playing (sometimes in class) and doing OK. found them books and saw how many I have left... cool, dont wanna loose em anymore.

ill be posting! peace.
~b~

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: