Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Heir gift list

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

Thought maybe someone might find this useful in deciding whether or not to use up 3 talents getting Heir for a new character.

The gift you get depends on your class, here's a list of what each one gets:

Archer - Winged (ammunition) of Hunting.*
Assassin - Poisonous Adamantium Dagger
Barbarian - Brutal Mithril Two-Handed Sword
Bard - Seven League Boots
Beastfighter - Vigilant Light Furs of Protection
Druid - Yellow Leather Armour of Balance
Elementalist - Ring of Minor Elemental Mastery
Farmer - Vigilant Clothes of Resilience
Fighter - Eternium Girdle
Healer - Elven Chain Mail of Health
Merchant - Beautiful Leather Armour of Carrying
Mindcrafter - Empowered Robe of Protection
Monk - Padded Clean Robe of Defense
Necromancer - Chaotic Skull Staff of Slaughtering
Paladin - Lawful Mithril Longsword
Preist - Heavy Mace of the Sun
Ranger - Masterwork Mithril Battle Axe
Thief - Adamantium Dagger of Penetration
Weaponsmith - Brutal Mithril Warhammer
Wizard - Wand of Fire (30 Charges)

*Archers get the same type of ammunition as their race normally gets, eg. arrows for High Elves etc. Interestingly this means races that use rocks (eg. Hurthlings) get magic rocks, something I don't believe you can find in the actual game.

If anyone cares, here's my opinion on them, feel free to disagree/call me an idiot/whatever:

Bards get the best deal by a long shot. I'd get heir every time I could if I played bards. I might consider the barbarian one but it's damn hard for a barb to get three talents and personally I prefer polearms anyway. The necro one looks quite nice but I'm assuming necros don't see much melee. (But then I don't play necros so I'm not too sure and don't really care anyway. ;) ) Nothing else looks that great IMO, a few other items that could be useful but I don't think it'd be too hard to find stuff that's just as good or better in the game, without using up 3 talents.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 15:03 (GMT -5)

There is at least one thread just like this already but how could you've known that so it's not so bad...(Jan have you been working on that 'search' function for ages?)

I agree, blessed 7LB right from the start is great! Game time goes MUCH slower when walking in the wilderness. Play a gnome and try to answer the starting questions right so you can get 4 talents from high mana and pick up alert and go for treasure hunter :) I'm playing one and probably my best character so far, lvl 24 or something going for the ToEF as soon as I can get a RoI. Ahh, didn't have time to play him today...

The empowered robe for mindcrafter is useful for the first few levels before you can get concentration to 100 and helps after that too.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6293 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

*Wow* I'm going to play adom in a week or so.

Cows go MOO!
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

I'm personally partial to the thief and assassin heirlooms. The poisonous dagger is, I admit, more of a fun toy than a long-term weapon... but the dagger of penetration could probably hold up as a good weapon for a while, no?

I'm trying to picture what a "winged rock of hunting" would look like...
UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

7750 days, 23 hours, 38 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

Urrhm i can't even find the Heir talent even when i do have 3 talent choices at the start.
Am i missing something?
UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

I'm on ADOM ver 1.1.1 by the way if that makes a difference,
Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

7746 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

To get the heir talent, Wario, you need to have at least 3 talents, and the first two have to be Boon to the Family and Charming, if i recall.

"Bonk, the Hill Giant, is hit by the icy beam. Bonk, the hill giant is killed!"
UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 12:46 (GMT -5)

I think i did that, i just can't get it to come up.
Maybe my version is shagged
Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

it should appear...it wont appear if you get boon and charming on level one and then try to get it on like level 3, all have to be on level 1.

UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

Heh i found it
Is there a sure way to get a Barbarian Heir?
I fancy that sword ;)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

Yes there is. Play a hurthling or a gnome born under the month of candle or falcon.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

Awww but they make poopy barbarians.
Isn't the bard item a bit rubbish as well?
It makes it impossible to keep any pets because you walk too fast for their little trotters
Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

if youre born on candle or falcon as a human barb and get lucky with things, you can end up with 3 talents and a level two skill with two-handed weapons...

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Err, you don't have to be a human to be able to get the lucky bonus talent, you just have to be lucky.

I would never call blessed 7LB's rubbish! Even not counting the fact that you can outrun everything in the early game they lower background corruption because they lower the time it takes walking in the wilderness A LOT and it takes much much longer to reach that 90 day limit. Besides, pets are bad to have, they just kill monsters you should be killing for experience, which seems to be harder to get nowadays. Only good reason to have pets is to order them to kill cats(or get cats to be your companions and get them killed against tough monsters). Actually I think the barbarian gift isn't too hot. I myself much rather use a spear+shield combo for MUCH better dv than with a two-hander.

And hurthlings make great barbarians! They have good dex for ranged weapons, also not too bad To but are maybe a bit tough in the early game because they only have so-so strength, but they have the best skill to increase your strength: food preservation. Yes, food preservation. If you don't know what I'm talking about try clearing a greater vault of giants and eating the corpses when wearing a ring of weakness.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2003 at 08:24 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6969 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

I played both: gnome and hurthling barbarians with Heir. The sword is just awesome, and if you're lucky enough to get Vanishquer as crowning (I was) you have a great chance to win the game. Unfortunately I was playing a bit stupidly and lost both :(. 3 orbs each. One killed by mimic hivemind (had also RotMC and BoW) and one by quite a lot eternal guardians. But I'll win with a barbarian! Mark my words! ;)

Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 23:08 (GMT -5)

I don't think I've ever found a ring of weakness. :(
UndeadWario
Registered user
Squirrel Beater

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

I found a ring of mental weakness, obviousley....:(
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7420 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

"Cursed" rings, like rings of weakness and rings of dooming are about as rare as rings of ice and other high class rings. If you have noticed, those dungeon shops that specialize in rings often sell rings of resistance (to fire, acid etc.), weddings rings and other common rings. These rings are most common to find as loot as well...
There are common rings and rare rings...big surprise. ^_^

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

I've found quite a few rings of ice/fire and a few of doom/djinni summoning, but never a ring of weakness... I never even knew they existed until I read this thread.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

I seem to find a ring of doom in almost every game and pretty early even (before level 20). Last couple of games I've also found an early =oDS and 'oLS(believe it's something to do with treasure hunter).

Oh and there is a very common autocursing ring too:)

the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

I found the sapphire ring before I ever found the ring of weakness, which both happened last week...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 21 hours, 46 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

How do you get the treasure hunter?

For the Horde!
Wolf
Registered user
Almost as cool as toast.

Last page view:

7655 days, 7 hours and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Pick Alert as your very first talent. After that you need Miser (doesn't have to be immediately though) and then you'll be able to get Treaure Hunter.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: