Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Howdy, all

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Vennom
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 03:26 (GMT -5)

Greetings, folks, I'm new here, and it's a pleasure to meet you all...I play ADOM often, though I'm only a newbie to it myself...any helpful pointers for aspiring Necromancers would be helpful. Thanks!
Islandgirl
Registered user

Last page view:

7436 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

Hi Vennom! welcome to the forums! =)
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

7722 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 03:49 (GMT -5)

Heh, hadn't expected a reply so soon. Thanks fer de welcome >:-D

"The dead aren't so bad, once you get to know them."
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7426 days, 11 hours, 49 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

Beginning is nasty. Troll necromancers are good for training how to be a necromancer. ^_^

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

Heheheheh. I've been doing so, actually...the hefty food requirements tend to starve me to death ~chuckle~ Mabye, what I /really/ need to know is, what's the best wat to start, with any character? Is there a good pattern to start with, or something of that nature?

Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

This one's a test for my pic ~chuckle~

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 09:50 (GMT -5)

There is no best way to start but just try to explore the easier dungeons first. I'd suggest picking the 'Alert' for your first talent, 'Miser' for next and 'Treasure hunter' for third as then you'll tend to find more gold and better items to help you survive.

I practically every time start by getting the quests from terinyo, then popping in and out of the small cave(north west from terinyo, stay out of there, it gets VERY dangerous when you get to a higher level) and then do the elder/druid quest, after that puppy quest. Then if I'm not lvl 10 yet to kill hotzenplots I descend through the unremarkable dungeon(below the small cave) to the high mountain village(and hope to get to kick a stone giant lords ass to get a corpse and +1 St). Then I should be lvl 13 to go to through the pyramid. Then if I've got water breathing or teleport I go say hi to blup's mom(she's a water dragon and lives in a pretty watery place if you didn't know that) and tell blup about it.

And only then do I begin to descend the caverns of chaos.

If you're starving to death play humans, drakelings or hurthlings who have the food preservation skill (it's great). You could also play monks who need only half the food others need(farmers have this ability too starting from lvl12).

And always when you need something you can scum the infinite dungeon (southeast from the two first towns). Just keep going up and down the staircases and pick up items you see. This is handy for finding books as a spellcaster or a shield for a fighter, for example.

Oops, now that got longer than I thought it would.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/30/2003 at 09:52 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 02:10 (GMT -5)

Thanks fer the info. Food preservation /IS/ great, meh heh. I'm using a troll born in the month of the Candle, with that talent that lets you heal wounds faster ~evil chuckle~ I'm doin great so far...Appreciate all the help, folks!

ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Oh my god...I knew about the trollish healers and the month of the candle, but I didn't thought about combining it with that talent. Now that is just...a meat wall.

First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Just have petrification&death ray&paralyzation resists and it will be very hard to kill you:) If you can learn teleport and have teleport control... Well congrats you've just got yourself a winning char :D No, the RNG will get you, yes it will.

BTW drakelings have the second fastest natural healing and they can gain something from !oTrollblood and don't require so much exp and don't require as much food and of course have the lovely lovely vomit attack so might want to try them also!

P.S. yes, drakelings are my favorite race nowadays:)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5593 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

Hi Vennom =)

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if that vomit attack has any negative side-effects for the drakeling concerned?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Yes, it decreases satiation level. That's only bad if you're running out of food... otherwise it can be helpful, like when you're trying to consume fifteen quickling corpses before they rot.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

HHmmm....drakelings, eh...I'll give it a shot. The trollish necro is doin fine, up to level 18, farthest I've gotten so far ~chuckle~ The staff of slaughtering I found helps things along, too! Not only that, but since trolls can eat almost /anything/, and I've got my Food Preservation skill at max, there's no hunger problems, either. ~evil cackle~

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 22 hours, 39 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Drakelings= good spellcasters&fighters
Druids = semi-spellcasters&semi-fighters

Is a Drakeling Druid a good combo?

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

I think so... but then again I've always avoided Drakelings since I usually die in the ToEF anyways and I don't need any more complications.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

That might be a good combination. I myself just don't like to have to change places with every other monster in the game :) A drakish priest also might be good.

ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

ToEF and drakelings are not a pretty combination. But, your speed is doupled. ^_^

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: