Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Questions about TreasureHunter

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

I've been hearing about this a bit on these forums, but don't see it listed under talents in the manual... is it a hidden talent or something? Or did I somehow just miss it?

How worthwhile is it to get this talent? ie. Must-have/useful/okay/crap.

I gather that in order to get it, I need Alert and Miser. Is this correct? Any other requirements?

And if it is hidden, are there any other hidden talents that anyone knows of?

Thanks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/30/2003 at 11:32 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5590 days, 2 hours and 1 minute ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 17:03 (GMT -5)

I use it quite a lot, but I suck bad at ADoM and can never keep my PC alive long enough to ascertain whether all the hype is warranted.

People reckon its very powerful, and some are going so far as to say its cheating LOL. Other funny things ppl are saying is that the level of generated monsters is increased to offset the better items although AFAIK this has not been tested.

Yes you need alert and miser and if your PC only gets one talent to start with...you must take alert as the first one since it dosn't appear after that(?)

Anyhoo, this is all heresay, so I'll move aside now for someone who knows what they're going on about...hehe.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 15:18 (GMT -5)

It's very hard to know the exact effect treasure hunter has as it doesn't modify anything you can see about your char. I try to take it always because I want to have as much luck as possible (usually if I don't get preserver I use ankh and always two luck rings if possible).

And I don't think it's 'hidden' but Thomas just forgot to include it in the manual. I think that's another reason why people can think it's 'too powerful' and 'almost like cheating', they might think that every good item they find is due to them having TH and thinking that because it's 'hidden' it must be good. Remember that there are no other 'hidden' talents.

You're both correct the required talents are Alert and Miser and yes Alert is like all the other +1stat-increasing talents, it has to be taken at lvl 1 and you won't get to choose it after that. Miser could be chosen at lvl 48 if you'd want to (but then you wouldn't get a chance to take TH:)

On Wolf's scale I'd say it's useful or okay.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Orc Man(logged out)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

Well im going to say that you should get it. it REALLY affects your chance to find GOOD stuff I found a Wand of Wishing with 3 charges in the grave yard.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

That might just be good luck, you never know :)

Honestly yes I believe that TH helped you with that but I'll bet it won't help you that much that early next time.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 4 hours, 57 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

I've found a WoW with 4 charges in the graveyard with a "Far Slayer" next to it without the TH talent :P

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

BTW I think I've found more ?oCR and !oCC with TH. Like my drakish barbarian found a ?oCR in the CoC before dwarftown and two dropped from two zombies almost killed in a row in Nonnak's graveyards upper level. I don't like corruption so I like TH.

Recently I read in r.g.r.a a theory that certain classes with TH might find a bit more of certain item types. Maybe TH is intelligent and gives more corruption fighting items to barbarians who need the most exp to level and thus need a longer time (=more corruption) to level up. Okay so I've played maybe two barbarians with TH so it's a long(very long)shot. Maybe a sling of the longshot(+8,+3) even. Or Whirlwind. No, I don't think it that long of a shot.

Orc Man(logged out)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

I just cleared out the top part of the grave yard now and this is what ive found. 1 blue dragon scale mail, 1 girdle of giant strength and a RoDS, all of them cursed but that doesnt matter. All of those dropped by zombies.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

Are you playing a bard or something? That's great equipment!

Orc Man(logged out)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Actually, im playing orcish healer but im going to test this with some bards methinks
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7201 days, 2 hours, 37 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Good luck!

The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2003 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

Back in the days before talents bards were the ones who were thought to have good luck in finding items. I dunno but the one bard I've played in 1.1.1 (with treasure hunter) didn't have any problems with finding good items. He also found a few extra ?oCR and !oCC and had 5 wishes left when he died. Well he was stuck with a trapped mithril chain mail for a while but I got it damaged and destroyed by the denizens of the big room so no biggie.

firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

first time i got round to picking treasure hunter and i found 3 shops, in the three successive level and a level with stomafilia, morgia and spenseweed on the way to HMV. i dont know if treasure hunter has anything to do with it, cos i always find herbs but not 3 shops in a row! anyone ever had that before without treasure hunter?
Lazy C
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

I've started the New Adom, much harder. My char is a treasure hunter, so far they have found a lot of nice spellbooks, and gold.
Lazy C
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

I've started the New Adom, much harder. My char is a treasure hunter, so far they have found a lot of nice spellbooks, and gold.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: