Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Cheating? Legal? Moral? Right?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
NuteKing12
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

Is cheating in adom and beating the game with a kazillion potions of wonder right? Does it justify the hours that it takes it to beat the game the real way? Don't you just hate it when your friend is level 40 due to cheating and you can't get passed level 20!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5672 days, 9 hours and 21 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Hey, it's not multiplayer, if they like to cheat let 'em. They'll just get bored to the game faster and start cheating in another game. Cheaters cannot really boast about their characters or gaming skills because, well, they cheat and anybody could make characters like that.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6977 days, 8 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

If someone wins by cheating, it's their problem, but it's nothing to be proud of. I'm quite proud of my 3 wins, because I didn't cheat.

Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

7724 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 03:58 (GMT -5)

Heh. Cheating's ok for us newbies who are still getting the hang of things. I'm gonna go through it once while save-scumming, then use a different class and do things the hard way >:-D

"The dead aren't so bad, once you get to know them."
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7192 days, 21 hours, 39 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

Naive Vennom. As buttnugget once said: "Hi, i'm John and i've been cheating for 2 years" :D Most of us were cheaters, but now I am not, because i thought Hey! If i win i won't be proud of my victory! And me like be proud, ugh! :)
Anyway, i had very hard time when i was stopping cheating, so i'd reccomend to delete all your scummed saves, WADOMF/ADOMF and all copied tmps. Cheaters must die.

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
NuteKing
Registered user

Last page view:

7750 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

Can you post a score on the top score list if you win by cheating? That would totaly ruin all the logit scores.
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

7724 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 at 03:47 (GMT -5)

Proud? Me like be powerful! ~laughs~ I will soon, however, once I reach level 20. (18 now.)

Naive?? I prefer the term "Experience Impaired", thank you very much >:-)

"The dead aren't so bad, once you get to know them."
Iridia_
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

Yes, your score goes straight to the top... which is why you also download a new copy of ADOM.
super newbie
Registered user

Last page view:

7751 days, 4 hours, 26 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 at 21:40 (GMT -5)

I agree with vennom.
I am using save-scumming as a grey elvish wizard, and I STILL can't manage to finish the tiny girl's quest (I get stuck on the last level. To many monsters!)

Besides, this game is SO hard that I NEED to do save-scumming to get wizards off the ground. I don't know about other classes and races (I never use them, to easy :-)) but grey elvish wizards are HARD. I like their spell casting abilities, though. I'm level 8 right now, and progressing slowly.

Do you use save-scumming?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6301 days, 14 hours, 31 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

I only save-scummed as a newbie or to experiment.

Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5595 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

Ive never save scummed and I dont scum the ID either. Not that I have any particular gripes with people who do. Do whatever is fun for you is my advice.

Is it legal?
Hmm...save scumming is not possible without going out of the game and backing up savegame files or otherwise modifying the game from what is distributed, so IMHO this is illegal (in terms of bragging rights). ID scumming is really just exploiting a feature of the software as provided, so I dont count this as cheating, but its certainly quite cheezy.

Moral?
Depends on your morals. This is too subjective for me to rant about.

Right?
See above :P

Ive never beaten the game and never got a PC past L14, and never felt like cheating. I love how hard the game is. I always play random everything and always play each PC to his/her grizzly death. Thats the fun for me, but everyone is going to have a different reason for playing.
Jokke
Registered user
Molopää

Last page view:

7731 days, 9 hours, 57 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

I think this game is really hard no matter you cheated or not. I was in serious troubles even with save-scumming but stopped it not long ago. Now I haven't got a character past 12. Nearly all my wizards have died because of poison or my own stupidity, but that's the spirit of the game. You must play your characters carefully or soon it meets the end and it's time to hit your monitor again...

By the way Trollish healer is a fuckin good choice, especially when born in the month of a candle.

Play this game without cheating damnit!!!
Jokke
Registered user
Molopää

Last page view:

7731 days, 9 hours, 57 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

Damnit!! Just lost another L9 wizard. I have already had about ten L7-10 wizards and at least as many elementalist and necromancers. I think necromancer is definitely one of the hardest classes to play with.

Has anyone won the game with necromancer?

Elementalist better than wizard
Yes  No
Check results

firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

hmm i havent really played adom that much, i started off cheating by save scumming, which is cool cos i got to see where the game was going .....

had a hard time playing non cheat but i got a good character going :) L35 high elf wizard, shes already got 4 of the orbs so now i kinda want to gain levels only..but umm anyway the point i wanted to make was , cheating is fun, non cheating is fun .just remember what youre trying to do....if youre trying to see what you can do with the game, id cheat (just to get to see some of the levels) but if you wanna be by the book, then play...

i used to think the game couldnt be beaten but now i know it can..btw, my game always crashed even with cheated, (back up get corrupted) so basically my non cheat has gone further down the caverns of chaos than my cheaters!

i think wizrds are easier to win the game (not necessarily better) i used to play elementalist or my first non cheat and she would always die level 20 or so :(.... then i started a wizard and shes kicking butt :)
Wolf
Registered user
Almost as cool as toast.

Last page view:

7663 days, 2 hours, 2 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 at 00:09 (GMT -5)

I saved scummed through the game once soon after I started playing, but haven't done it since.

I've yet to finish the game without save scumming, but I've gotten close a few times. Made it to D:50 once but got transformed into a WMoPC... and had 2 or 3 characters get almost as far.
Warlord
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

Well, I save-scum...and sometimes cheat in other ways too...but once I get the game through via cheating, I start it the legit way. So far, I have only been learning to play ADOM, although I know pretty much about it.

The newest version helped cheating much as it was an "improved windows" thingie. Basivly, the game doesn't change it's memory location every start up.

Heh, prolly half of you are shaking your heads and grumbling "cheater grrr", but honestly, I don't care that much. I know what I'm doing and why, and once I get the game through by cheating, I wanna try something cool the legit way.

Any suggestions for race/class combination for that??
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

let's ignore all cheaters!! THEY SUCK!!!

Warlord
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

:D maybe....I start once you say you NEVER cheated in ANY way in ANY game..

then I could concider...
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

of course i cheated. In ADOM too. For first 3 month. Now i don't (only in case of testing)

Warlord
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmm...

well, anyways. Does anyone want a non-complete gamehack table for adom (newest version)? Pretty good for testing and just plain cheating.
Rogue
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 at 22:37 (GMT -5)

What is ID scumming?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 at 23:00 (GMT -5)

ID scumming is a non-cheating (though not purist) method to get items you need--potions of water, spellbooks, etc. It takes advantage of the fact that the ID levels are erased when you leave and re-generated when you come back on them--a potentially infinite number of items. Just clear out an ID level, go up, clear that out, go back down, clear that out, and repeat. A strategy that goes even closer to cheating, but is more efficient, is to stay on the stairs, go up and down repepatedly, and pick up whatever's in line of sight.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Chris
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 at 23:09 (GMT -5)

How do you cheat cos i'm sick of dying at level 12
at the bloody cave south of the Temple of Eternal Flames.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

You know how to find your save file, right?

save your game, copy the file into a different folder, and play as normal. When you die you can "restore" by copying the copy back into the saved game folder.

Note that this IS cheating and you will be severely flamed on RGRA if you post a VP with save-scumming involved.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7104 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

i think savescumming is ok if your new to the game. i had to do it a lot. but once you get the hang of it, i would stop. unless you want to test something.

but thats just my opinion of course. do what you want, just dont come braging about beating the game when youve savescummed. You cant lose.

(:
CK*Unlogged*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

Well, I save-scummed about a year when started playing ADOM. Now, I use save-scumming only for testing stuff.
I've managed to finish the game about six times without any kind of cheating and only twice with cheating involved. :)

I agree, I think save-scumming is "legal" when you're learning the game, but after you've finished it once, or been close, one should stop scumming and start playing for real.

btw; I've never ID-scummed, I never even visit ID if I don't need TotRR or the sceptre.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6999 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

i do now and then for 7LBs. if i haven't done the small cave, the ID is wear i get my footware from. the ID is good for special missles too, takes far less time than hanging around in the wilderness waiting for barbarians and raiders
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5033 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 at 00:31 (GMT -5)

I do all the time :P
I've given up on a few characters and never got close to finishing the game (ToEE is the furthest I got)

Planning on creating a new character and playing it completely fair though, see how far I can get...

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7320 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 at 11:14 (GMT -5)

Once you stop scumming and playing "normaly" then you appreciacte your characters alot more, and you get more enjoyment out of the game.
except when your V.promising character is crushed by falling rocks.
again.
for the 8th time today.

What do you Wish for?_
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

367 days, 13 hours, 8 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 at 12:52 (GMT -5)

As for scumming ID, I tried the gremlin trick on lv9 a few days ago for the first time. Aaawsome!
After 30minutes boring gremlin erasing my drakeling wiz picked up aboute 50 books, 8 PoGA several PoCC and LOTS of other useful items.

Kinda cheesy but VERY rewarding!
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: