Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / A not so original thought...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7710 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

If one considers that people believing in this or that religious and/or political system are the direct cause of many (if not all) of the tumultuous events in the past/present, would it not be logical if humans, as a whole were to dump these pathetic pastimes and go on about the process of fulfilling ones potential in the manner best suited to each individual (pursuit of Science, Building, Farming, etc.). This makes the concept of nations, religious empires, even monetarism, irrelevant. Oh, I'm sure there are those who will say "But how could the human race possibly advance without these systems?". The answer is of course, quite simple. Each individual is just that, an individual, doing what he/she/it is most suited to do. And humans, being social animals, perform best in groups. Each individual is credited based on the amount of time spent in pursuit of the social good. The more individuals participating in the process, the less amount of work is required for each individual to survive. There is no real substance to this "Production Credit" (or whatever you would like to call it), so it is not monetarism (as no interest can accrue, making banks and other such institutions obsolete). I know this is still incomplete, but it is a start. Feel free to contribute ideas, or just flame me for my irrevence to the imaginary being of your choice...

You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

I don't flame people (unless they are incredibly stupid) but I do disagree with you...

We already have this sort of a system... it's called "capitalism". Your time spent at work is your "pursuit of the social good" and your salary is your "production credit". There's no way to make banks obsolete, by the way... even "production credit" needs some way to be organized, tallied, and stored (even if it's only electronically). Interest rates are necessary to combat inflation...

Your basic idea is also flawed. The problems of humankind are not caused by either religious or political systems. Unless you're a fanatic for either one, those things are too far away from you to really have an impact on the way you grow up and what you do with your life. Your parents, your peer group, and maybe the media, influence what you are much more than religious or political systems.

Those systems, like communism or Nazism, or fanatical Islam or Christianity, that have caused so much trouble? They were all started by people. Stalin, Hitler, Bloody Mary, Osama Bin Laden... these organizations wouldn't have come about without them and others like them.

The fact is that, whatever religious or political system the people are under--or even if there isn't one--some people are going to "go bad". If there were no governement and no religion there would be no way to deal with them. Human society needs some sort of structure; otherwise there's nothing but chaos.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7312 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Religion is good but in human hands it has a tendency to promote judgement and fear. Let's all turn Jedi and remove all our negative emotions.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 at 19:46 (GMT -5)

Nono... strangely enough we need negative emotions too. Anger is very, very useful (no matter what Jedi masters say) when you need to do something, and do it fast, without stopping to think. Adrenaline is a Good Thing when you can't use the Force. :)

Positive emotions can be a bad thing too, because they can be deceiving. Love can deceive, a sense of security can be false, happiness can be drug-induced... you get what I mean.

What we really need isn't a removal of negative emotions, but a control of the emotions we do have, so that we master our emotions and use them to our purposes, instead of the other way around.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

Anger tends to divert away somewhat from control usually in most people.
In saying that, the Scottish rebels lead by William Wallace showed that ferocious rage in the battle field inspired by desire of freedom proved formidable and smashed England's forces several times.
Also Luke Skywalker defeated Vader when he threatened to convert her sister, he could of killed him but his light side kicked in afterwards.

In most modern day, down to Earth life events in general, anger is rarely needed and for most of us it leads us to saying and doing things we regret afterwards.
Anger is one word short of danger but occasionally can provide the difference between success and failure. I agree with you to some extent but deffinatly disagree to say anger is very, very useful as it tends to do more bad than good.

LS
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 at 05:48 (GMT -5)

Postive emotions can always be good if you link it with true awareness. If it decieving, then it was never good in the first place but was just never detected as an illusion.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

Then perhaps the Good Thing we are all looking for is not love, but truth? Makes sense to me...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Well both really, true love never dies.

LS

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: