Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New Vampirism Condition

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6199 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

I posted this on the old forum, so i thought i would put it here too. I have always thought it would be great to be able to become a vampire on ADOM. :)

Vampirism - creature vampires can use a special attack to infect characters with Vampirism. Perhaps the character must stay indoors or underground during the day and when he attacks with bare hands he drains life like weapons with the suffix "of Vampirism" - the need to eat would be replaced with the need to attack and drain this way. This would also be the only way to heal oneself... other sources of healing would do damage as it does to undead creatures. The only way to cure Vampirism would probably be to drink holy water... this would make the solution somewhat difficult to achieve, but not entirely impossible (though annoying because you could have used that PoHW to bless something...). And of course one could continue to be a vampire if cautious...
Also this would be a good reason to introduce another creature type - the "Vampire Hunter". Perhaps it would normally not care about a character unless they passed within one square and were a vampire and then it would "decide to fight to the death..."

Let me know what you guys think. :)

--<>||<>--

Should Vampirism be added as a new acquirable condition?
Yes  No
Check results

Botched
Registered user

Last page view:

7652 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

the only problems i really forsee is travelling. unless the night condition lasted a long time you couldn't really travel much anywhere. this also if implemented could produce a new metalman challenge. but i kind of like it and its hard to get rid of but not impossible. -Botched
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7191 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

if doing the TOEF without anything, then even this is possible!

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

How about an added item called "Sunblock"? For non-vampires it could serve as temporary 1st level resistance to fire, and for those with the vampire condition, it could allow them to temporarily move about under sunlight...

Good Idea? Should I RFE all this?

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

Hehe kind of "Blade"-ish, no? :D I think it would be great :D

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 9 hours, 18 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

Sunblock is too modern. "Dark Cloak", maybe. Especially if it were a permanently cursed item with negative PV/DV. Being a vampire would then use up a LOT of holy water, adding more challenges.

How about "Vampirism" as a corruption?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/1/2003 at 03:53 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7426 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Hmmm...In ADOM, are the undead there because of corruption or are undead just undead who want to tease normal people, and that is why they now roam the land?

Because usually, undead are just evil, but they nothing to do with "chaos" itself. I was wondering if ADOM is different.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 at 05:06 (GMT -5)

Undead are neutral in ADOM :)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

you can't sac 'em anyway :)

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

...and then you'd have to add polymorph because why could you transform to a vampire but not a beast? And of course dragons as a playable race. And different types of undead. And aliens and pink elephants.

There is a way in adom to be transformed into a vampire already, and changing it to something else would be, IMO, too much <foo>angband and too little ADOM.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Vennom
Registered user
Champion of the Undead

Last page view:

7722 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 01:29 (GMT -5)

An undead playable race period would be pretty fun; I'd rather be a lich than a vampire. Less hassle >:-)

"The dead aren't so bad, once you get to know them."
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7426 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Well, it would be definately very different to play. For example, vampires traveling outside need to check their survival skill on every move, to see if they can find shelter for the day, or they start receiving damage equal to drowning...the amount of possibities. *sighs*

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

I agree with J.
After vampires we would instert Golems, Zombies, Skeletons, Half-titans, Chaos Warriors, Mind Flayers, Beholders, Half-cyclops, Liches, Gibbering Mouthers and ElDeR cHaOs GoDs as playables...
I played one <foo>angband (don't remember what it was) that had all that, and more.

A realist sees a train.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

yeah, that definetely sucks.
Although it'd be fun to play as a green worm or a stone statue, especially since they are unlife :))

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

Maelstorm that's exactly the game I was thinking about:) I'm not sure but it could've been Zangband? There's also one which has twelve or so different kinds of dragons as a playable race.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

It was propably Zangband <some number here>.
The game where Smeagol/Gollum, Ugluk, Saruman and Bullroarer the Hobbit where normal mosters, as well as Robin Hood and some other stuff...
Jedi Holocron was an item...
Vampire Chaos Warrior fighting Smeagol&Robin Hood with a Lightsaber - that's the game in a few words :D
The most "funny" thing about it was the fact, that there were more races and classes then the letters of the alphabet..."press [alt+shift+\] to select Golem, and [shift+9] to select Chaos Mutant".

A realist sees a train.
Lazy C
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 at 12:45 (GMT -5)

How about (my favorite item from nethack) rings of polymorph, and rarer rings of polymorph control you can only morph into weako monsters (black dragons as the highest) you die as a monster minus 7 to toughness. Never going to happen.

Like my idea?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/3/2003 at 12:45 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

No no, not as a race or class, but as an acquirable condition, like blindness, confusion, etc.

And as far as "Sunblock" being too modern... there IS an IBM manual in the game, you know. hehe ;)

In accordance, however, Lycanthrope should definitely be acquirable as well... I will think on it.

Silver weapons would definitely do extra damage to a lycanthrope, and there should be an added "Potion of Cure Lycanthropy" item. Perhaps this would be the only way to alleviate the condition, and would make were creatures more dangerous. Also one should be able to summon creatures like that particular were, but for a high energy cost, and perhaps this would abuse Mana similar to animating corpses with Necromancy...

Ah, were i TB, the things i could do...

--<>||<>--

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: