Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Weirdest char ever

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

So I created this gnomish wizard. I started out with four talents and decided to go for Heir, which I did, only to kick myself when I remembered that I'd only get a wand of fire that'd be just as good as the spellbooks I was sure to find (sure enough, I started with a spellbook of fire bolt and one of Magic Lock). But I figured, why not, he's going to die anyway.

After killing Hotzenplotz and goons for the XP (okay, so wands of fire aren't completely useless) I went to get bridge building from Yriggs. One level above Jharod, I lost the spellbook of fire bolt I started out with to a fire vortex, after having read it only once. Bad enough, but said fire vortex was part of a roomful of other fire vortices. Magic Lock came in useful to lock the door on them.

I got Bridge Building and stopped by the Arena to get some lizards. There was a neutral altar on the level above that, so I went for a pre-crowning. It took just about forever, but I managed it. Fire creatures were a problem, though; I was too weak to melee them and had to lead them off the level and leave them behind. Ventriloquism (which is almost never useful) was very useful.

I got lucky in pre-crowning--Bracers of War (this character, obviously, is doomed to be killed by something exceedingly stupid when the RNG notices and wants revenge). Very soon after that, I found a wicked orcish spear of devastation. Now, why don't I ever find good weapons with my fighter types?

I still didn't have any offensive spells, not so much as Burning Hands, and only three charges left on my wand of fire, so I was basically playing a wizard as though he were a fighter.

Figured I might as well go to the PC and pick up the dead dog. Believe it or not (well, you'll believe it, coming from me) I managed to eat the puppy, cursing and dooming myself. Then, in my haste to get back to that altar, I was also stupid enough to run through two dark rooms (no grues, thankfully) without thinking.

I had to fight every other step in the wilderness, and nearly got killed twice. (Gained two levels, so maybe it's not that bad). Finally sacrificed enough to get back to Very Close (nearly getting killed by a barbarian leader... thank you, Ventriloquism) and finally got those annoying intrinsics removed. Now at level 14, STILL no offensive spells, and going to try for the dwarven quests, after going to the ID for a few spellbooks.

Oh, yes... Three minutes after I saved the game to come post here, there was a complete power outage!

I'll post when the character dies... it's bound to be just as weird as it has been so far.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4900 days, 12 hours, 50 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 00:20 (GMT -5)

I wish he'll di-I MEAN,good luck!

Boredom ceases bladder.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 00:53 (GMT -5)

Oh, he'll die all right. All my chars do. But now that he's level 18 and finally has a few bolt spells, I may actually bother to save the .flg for this one.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

Well, can you imagine a lvl 24 human barbarian wielding 'Vanquisher' to die at the hands of the car lord when reloading his bow (arrow of thunder, to stun the kitty)?? And I only killed 6 cats (one mistake in the dark and my chances for the ring go howling into the ground :( ).
All chars die. And those who don't are just too damn lucky ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Botched
Registered user

Last page view:

7649 days, 7 hours, 2 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

worst thing to happen on the cat lord quest happened to my friend. he was doing great mainly a wizard and started out with a bolt spell and scare monster. next he found a book of calm monster. well he got crowned with staff of the wanderer i think and he went down to the cat lord for the ring. 1 level before the catlord he is confused by a gibbering mouther for some reason and accidentaly kills a cave tiger! of course the cats spirit plunges into the ground and he dies of grief from doing this by holding the check your surroundings key. -Botched
Portrait
Gordismo
Registered user
False God

Last page view:

7472 days, 23 hours, 58 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

I just beat the cat lord. Damaged a lot of my equipment, but I got 3 levles out of it. Had to use 6 blessed potions of extra healing to do it. The ring is not worth the effort unless you're a druid.

Somone on the forum mentioned you can use wand of paralyze on him. It didn't work.

"The past is a ghost that haunts you from the moment it exists until the moment you don't"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2003 at 18:06 (GMT -5) by Gordismo]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 at 09:59 (GMT -5)

It does work. He just might shrug it off a couple of times but eventually it will work.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 at 01:12 (GMT -5)

Kinda like using Lightning Bolt on steel golems. They shrug it off four out of five times, but if it gets through twice, you've got them. :)

BTW, the char I started this post about just died. Level 23, and already had the Fire orb, but... Went to the Arena to get some more lizards, but all my gold was gone because I'd managed to get doomed by a Darkforge pool and sacced it all. So I figured, okay, one more fight won't cause any trouble. Not.

1 killer bug
+ 2 breedings
+ Stiff Muscles
=3 killer bugs
+ 1 very dead gnomish wizard.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7201 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 at 23:45 (GMT -5)

Good game Irdia! Hopefully you'll be lucky *next* time.

The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: