Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Spellcasting Barbarians?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

Could a High Elven Barbarian with Concentration and Literacy at 100 cope with reading a simple spellbook like Fire Bolt or Frost Bolt? If so, what's the best way to get these skills to 100? Currently I have Literacy at 64, and its modifier seems to be stuck at +1, although it occasionally goes up by itself since I've been reading gravestones a lot. No Concentration yet - no chance to wish for it, and I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile.

What about other combat wombat classes like Fighters and Beastfighters? Can they be trained to read spellbooks?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

Beastfighter - propably not. They're even dumber then barbarians
Fighter - Elves and Gnomes can, other races may have problems.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Oh, and if Barbarians can't cast spells, how on Earth are they going to cope with the Bug Temple now? Even in version 1.0.0 I had a pretty hard time beating it with a Mindcrafter.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

Blessed 7LB and good missile skills? Meleeing might be a bit hard unless you had 200 DV or something...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

Not quite - stealth at 100 and invisibility lets you backstabb the bugs on the surface (at least I did that in 1.11 with invis&stealth 100), and the bugs in the temple can albo be taken down in melee - just a good weapon is needed, so you can one-hit-kill them - like the Axe of the Minotaur King (Vanquisher doesn't help, it does NOT slay bugs :( - found out the hard way and had to run away from killers - survived, because of speed 152 and 7LB)
Get rid of ALL DV lowering equipment, remember that a [+1,0] clothes are better than [0,+17] eterinium plate mail, don't fight more then 1 at once (if you can kill them with one hit, you can fight more, but don't EVER let more than 1 near you), use wands. And having ridiculous DV doesn't hurt either. Two shields+coward tactics+wand of Fireball might help near the stairway.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Gordismo
Registered user
False God

Last page view:

7470 days, 21 hours, 58 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 at 22:11 (GMT -5)

Or just go in, play a few tunes on your harp, and watch them kill each other. :D

"The past is a ghost that haunts you from the moment it exists until the moment you don't"
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at 02:22 (GMT -5)

Does the Darkness spell do any good? They see invisible, yes; but can they do it in the dark?... At least it should keep them from totally surrounding the PC until s/he gets into a corridor.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

Damn, my Barbarian died to a greater undead vault after getting her stats severely drained. I wonder whether Darkness does any good in there - i.e. is it safe to get up close to an emperor lich in the dark?
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7185 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at 04:34 (GMT -5)

btw, aren't dark elves supposed to see in the darkness? :)

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

I guess you meant that as a joke bacause of the smiley but if you didn't then I'd like to ask why should dark elves see in the darkness?

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7055 days, 10 hours, 14 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

They have darkvision but the darkness you find in the adom is like the spell and even dark elves can't see through it but, for example, demons can. Or at least in D&D they can.

Btw in D&D you can't light darkness (the spell) by torch and in Adom you can. Adom doesn't really work like D&D works so who cares anyway what I'm talking. Blah. Must get away from here. *disappears*

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7533 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

TP is right. The "elven fire" ( or whatever it's name is) works just like that. Dark elves see the heat, but the dark from the spell is as dark to them as it is for everyone else.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 at 04:54 (GMT -5)

I finally got a High Elven Barbarian with Concentration and Literacy at 100, but she still had a hard time with spellbooks. Sometimes it would work (she even has ~180 castings of Identify now) but sometimes even simple spellbooks would have nasty effects. Oh well, AFAIK the only permanent bad effect of reading a difficult spellbook is loss of Toughness, and if it's not too high to begin with, it can be repaired with morgia roots.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

I took my spellcasting Barbarian down to the bug temple, and she didn't seem to have much difficulty in there! On the top level, she mostly just crept up on the bugs in Coward mode, before going Berserk and killing them in one whack. On the bottom level, she used bolt spells a bit more, but still often finished off injured bugs in melee.

However, she died in the Earth Temple after she got surrounded by a horde of earth elementals which killed her before she could kill them. Would invisibility have helped in there?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure but offhand I'd say they see invisible. Earth temple can be very mean because of the fact that the grues and elementals can pass through walls. Next time I suggest you lure them to an upper level a few at a time so you've got a better chance and can rest in between battles.

buttnugget
Registered user

Last page view:

7631 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

btw, getting literacy to 100 can be done fairly easily. i can get a grey elf paladin to 100 before lvl 10. not sure about barbarians. here's what i do. simply start the game by going to SMC and reading the scrolls in the room you find them over and over. ~50 reads should do to bring your potential up to 100, probably with a 3d3 or 2d4. i dunno about trolls though, with a learning so low it might not help that much.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: