Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Best race for Barbarians?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 8 hours, 53 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

What race does everyone favour for Barbarians? High Elves for Literacy and spellcasting ability (that's what I've been going with so far)? Humans or Drakelings for Food Preservation? Orcs for Find Weakness (I'd try an Orcish Barbarian but I don't like playing evil characters)?

Also, which talents would you choose for a Barbarian? I've been going for Treasure Hunter to compensate for their low Mana.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 22 hours, 12 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

I'd go for drakelings for food preservation and alertness. Maybe dark elves for find weakness and alertness and some mana and spellcasting.

I'd choose (after treasure hunter of course) speed, hp, pv, and dv increasing talents. Maybe basher+mighty blow and whatever they are if I had AotME but that's a total pain in the ass to get!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 22 hours, 46 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

I go with humans (food preservation, 2-handed sword, good learining), orcs (find weakness, St&To from 25 to 30, good Dx), Dark Elves (find weakness, alertness, good stealth), Drakelings (alertness, Food Preservation, good St&To), sometimes dwarfs (4-7 !of Booze, possibility of a PoGA in the start from the fool, good To&St, can get the mithril skin talent).
Usually I take the speed talents, PV talents if I'm a dwarf, the heavy weapon talents (Axe of the Minotaur Emperor, Vanquisher, Grod), DV talents, long life talent if i take human of orc (damn ghosts). I usually get every barbarian crowned L+, but after I clean out both graveyards (anyone seen the CoC graveyard in 1024x768 resolution? Well it gets 4 times bigger, and has 4 times more graves!), do the chaos quests (crown, sometimes even medal of chaos).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7061 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 at 05:30 (GMT -5)

I have seen the graveyard with the large resolution and I think it was _VERY_ challenging with all those liches. Now I play in smaller resolution 'cause I don't want to face them anymore in so great numbers.

Troll is quite good choice for barbarian IMHO. Their strenght and toughness makes them really good smashers. However, trolls get exp so f**king slowly that it makes playing less intresting. But it's of course everyone's own choice what kind of character they are playing. \o/

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 8 hours, 53 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Hmm, I don't like trolls because they take forever to level up, so achieving an ultra ending with one would be virtually impossible. (Also, I have a strong dislike for short-lived races after my bad experiences with Orcish Assassins.)

I've gone back to humans for now - they start with an amulet of luck, which is nice.
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7061 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

Okay, a dwarven barbarian with the heir talent. That's something incredible. Still I had problems fighting against ratling duelists and fencers - when the sword flies away your character is in deep shit. Still I managed to get to the fortress-like village but there was waiting a ratling duelist who decided to disarm my dwarf and then slay him. :(

Anyways, dwarves truly make good barbarians but I think I won't be playing barbarians for a while...

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

The duelists in the HMV are a pain in the ***. If they disarm you, and you weapon flies in the shop - you've lost it. The shopkeeper says "thank you" to the duelist, and claims, thet the ratling gave it to him - you have to buy it back.

I don't like the weapon heir talents, because your character depends too much on it. You loose the weapon (traped door, acid trap and so on), your char can't kill an easy gnoll chieftain.

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7318 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 01:23 (GMT -5)

human barbarian, starts with 2hander and amulet of luck, good learning naturally and good str and toughness because of the barbarianism.

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5593 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

Orcs make great Barbaians - no contest for me.

The only real downside is that relying on melee primarily, unless you can beef up your DV early, undead can age them out of the game (Orcs being the shortest lived PCs with expectancies of around 40 or so IIRC)
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6199 days, 21 hours, 13 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

All I have to say is Dwarf Barbarians give the most potions of booze on New Year's Eve. :) I got like 24 with one once. :)
--<>||<>--
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6514 days, 21 hours, 57 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

I'd go with human, for food preservation and the two hander. 4 out of 6 of their crowning gifts are two handed weapons so it's a good idea to train with them all through the game. My human barbarian cleared D:50 with ease by true beserking with grand mastery & vanquisher (you get about 3 attacks to their one) that was fun.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6968 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

Drakeling Barbarians are the go. They get food preservation to start with, drakelings and barbarians both get st/to bonuses so they are pretty tough. When only orcs and trolls get better st/to bonuses, Drakelings are an obvious choice if for the bonuses as they don't age to death as quickly as an orc or troll when they encounter a ghost lord tension room, and leveling trolls up is more tedious than dodging cats. Also, barbarians are a smart class for drakelings as their spit attack is dependent on st (this may be in calculating range only, but I love being able to spit acid on someone 6 squares away at the start of the game).
Tell me how to get stronger....

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/5/2004 at 18:18 (GMT -5) by Derek B Rackham Esq.]
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

7004 days, 4 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

imo Trolls make the best babarians :D totally brutal warriors, St sometimes above 30 when starting the game - that's fun!
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7195 days, 4 hours, 6 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

I hate trying to feed trolls...I generaly like HighElves. I'll have to try Drakelings...
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

7004 days, 4 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 10:31 (GMT -5)

but High Elf barbarian?? can such a thing really exist? it somehow doesn't sond right to me... just for atmospheric reasons. aren't High Elves supposed to be totally civilised?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

Yeah, barbaric High Elves can read. HE Barbs tend to be much like Rangers in AD&D - mainly bows but also good in melee, maybe learn some spells in the end.
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

Ive been playing Dark Elven barbarians lately. In True beserker mode with dual wielding :)

Lots of good skills, very deadly, but you have to be carefull as well. I actually managed to save the puppy and kill the raider lord in true beserker in the same game. Thats a test of patience :)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Dark Elves are badass, my first win was a Dark Elf barbarian - wielded Wyrmlance, precrowning gift, from lvl 8 to the end :) Keirax and Ancient Blue Wyrm were pure pleasure ;)

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/9/2004 at 10:10 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

I just did a lot better with my last incarnation... Named him Kubla Kahn :)

He saved the puppy, killed the raider lord (No corpse), saved the carpenter. Traversed to the High mountain village, to be assaulted by a Stone Giant lord. Are these thing constructs? Because i had some Construct slaying quarrels and a light crossbow of accuracy...The quarrels werent ID'ed though :/

If i got past him, im sure i could have continued to at least finish the pyramid and do dwarftown, probly to die at the Dwarven Halls
Draco
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

Stone GIANT lord. You gotta use giant slaying ammos...
___

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: