Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Getting the 1st Orb

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SesameSticks
Registered user
Lvl. 16 Human Fighter

Last page view:

7653 days, 12 hours and 43 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

Right, I've just managed to get far enough to talk to Khelevaster, and now I'm faced with the undead level. I can get through the long hallway alright, but when it comes to dealing with the huge, vampire-packed hallway in the middle I don't think I have a chance. I did mangage to lure out a Lich and a Mummy, though.

I'm level 16 right now...is this enough?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 59 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

Human fighter? It depends on the weapon you wield. If you have some semi-decent two-handed weapon, or a good one-hander like Big Punch, you shouln't have any problem. But if you have something like "mithril long sword" then get a better weapon. Vapires are St&To drainers, they will easly kill you if you don't one-hit kill them, or have lots of DV (50-70 is good enough for a one-hander, two-handers should go for the "one-hit-kill" variant)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
SesameSticks
Registered user
Lvl. 16 Human Fighter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

I've got the Golden Gladius.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 24 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

You might want to share your thoughts about fighting in the arena with someone in dwaftown whose also done some fighting there (hint hint). The golden gladius has another use than just using it for a weapon.

Also, whatever weapon your using, bless it since blessed weapons do 1.5* damage to undead and demons. If you've been training your bow/crossbow skills (which you should) remember to utilize slaying ammo if you have any it's very very effective (bless those arrows too)!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

The golden Gladius isn't such a good weapon. It's quite decent before the animated forest, but you really should find a better sword, like some eterinium scimitar/long sword/broadsword or preferebly sword of sharpness. Any way, have you finished all the Dwarven elder's quests? You should, his quest are a challange I use to find out, if I'm ready to walk past Khelevaster.

And as J. stated

Spoiler
Talk to the gladiator in Dwarftown, he will train you in weapon skill, give you a coulpe of battle-usefull skills, like backstabbing, two-weapon combat or the 'all-mighty' tactics for just that sword.

A realist sees a train.
SesameSticks
Registered user
Lvl. 16 Human Fighter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

I've got past that and under the portal, thanks. Now I'm on the level with all the corpses and 'unearthly wailing'. What's going on?

Edit: where is this orb anyway? I've searched through the entire crypt level. :{

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/14/2003 at 07:08 (GMT -5) by SesameSticks]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

Sounds like the Banshee level. Hope I'm not too late in telling you how to survive it:

Spoiler
Plug your ears! The wail of the Banshee will kill you!

As for the orb, Khelavaster told you that they were kept in elemental temples and you had to dig through the walls. Remember a level which only seemed to take up half the screen? With water constantly dripping from the ceiling? Go back to that level, and dig through to the left-hand side of the screen. Kill the Snake from Beyond which guards the Orb. Warning: this level is rather dangerous, and killed me the first time I got there.

Finally, some info about obtaining good weapons. One way to do it is to drop all your weapons on altars, and try wielding those that aren't cursed, hoping to find an especially good one (weapons of devastation are nice). Another way is to observe their weight. E.g. a long sword (40s) is probably just a normal long sword, but a long sword (28s) is adamantium and therefore better, and a long sword (35s) is a sword of sharpness, which is even better.
SesameSticks
Registered user
Lvl. 16 Human Fighter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the warning, but what should I plug up me ears _with_?
Möwe (unlogged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

There was a bee hive on the level above the banshee, right? This isn't coincidence.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

It's simple. Ever wondered about how bee wax is usless, not tasty, you can put it in your tool slot and so on? Well, that's how you plug your ears (to un-plug just clean your "E"ars)

A realist sees a train.
SesameSticks
Registered user
Lvl. 16 Human Fighter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Crud, the bee-hive is on a lone tile surrounded by a river. I'll try later this evening then. ;-)
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4900 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:47 (GMT -5)

...did you save-scummed?I mean,it's not usual that you survived everything n' stuff.Lv 16 is kinda early,too.I usually go when I'm at higher levels,y'know.

Boredom ceases bladder.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: