Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Exercise is good!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Uncle Ned
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

Physical exercise is great, it exercises not just your physical form but it motivates your spirit!
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 4 hours, 35 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

I disagree. A friend of mine once gave me his opinion, with which I find myself agreeing:

According to the theory of evolution, things that are good for us tend to be desireable. This is why bees are attracted to bright colors -- Bright colors usually lead to flowers -- Similarly, things that are bad for you tend to repulse you. Most poisons taste very foul, because the combination of genes that make poisons taste good died out rather quickly.

When I exercise, I hurt. 2 million years of evolution have resulted in a body which feels pain when it exercises. Nature is trying to lead me away from exercise. Thus, by the theory of evolution, exercise must be bad for me.

:-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/14/2003 at 10:10 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1661 days, 2 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

Allergies don't help that matter any.

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

Not necessarly, you need to exerise to keep off weight (excess.) This rule applied to the older generations of humans, where losing body fat could mean death (starvation) and that's why. Life is naturally lazy, (look at chemistry for example, always easier to join atom with more example salt).

-----uh i shit myself again......
Unlce Ned
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

Exercise doesn't hurt, yor muscles ache at most but don't over strain yourself, that is bad for you. Reguler exercise within comfortable proportions will make you more healthy and stronger.

Also some foods that are bad for you taste great, such as sweets. How do you explain that one?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

You claim sweets are bad for you, but then, you also claim exercise is good for you.

Fatty foods taste good and have been around for a long time. Two million years of evolution have produced a gene set that encourages you to eat fatty foods. Ergo, if you believe the theory of evolution, fatty foods must be good for you.

:-P
Uncle Ned
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

Fatty foods aren't good for you if you have too much, and evolution hasn't yet defined the optimim balance as it is a little slow.
Nowadays, fatty foods are freely available and so the gene that makes us crave for fatty foods isn't as needed as it used to be, hence why it is bad because it promotes excessive eating of fatty foods, making people obese.

Also, along going back to exercise, it naturally increases the production of endomorphine chemicals producing cells, giving us the feeling of well-being and the 'athletes high'.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

Re: Fatty Foods
Or so you say, but I don't see any grand darwinian theories backing your claim.
:-P

Re: Exercise
Endorphines are pain killers. Your brain wouldn't have to produce them if your body wasn't hurting, and your body wouldn't be hurting if you were doing something good for it.
:-P x 2

Essentially, your brain is saying: "Well, I have been trying to dissuade you from doing this, but if you are going to ignore all the lessons your ancestors learned and continue, I'll at least try to keep you sane by deadening the pain."

;-)
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7317 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, I think it's pretty obvious exercise is good for you. Caladriel, are you just trying to exercise your debating skills?

LS
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

I hate exercise. My asthma and obesity hate it too.

Spoiler
soon we'll become master-debaters

C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

Who s5858ed them selves? I'm going to have a word with someone, they stole what I would have said! Yeah it was it up for early humans so they wouldn't die of hunger and exercise ment you are losing too many calories, stop! (not to mention if person doesn't excercise much.)
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Luke: I am not even practicing my debating skills. Instead I am practicing my baiting skills.
:-)

I do want to see if anybody comes up with good counter arguments against my point -- I do not think "It's pretty obvious" is a good counter argument :-) -- The idea that evolution has not caught up with the modern sedentary lifestyle is so-so; it doesn't convince me.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

Evolution takes place over generations defined by the environment. In the highlands around 1700 for example, the environment was harsh and survival was not certain - the people who did survive would had to have beaten the odds rendering them strong. Hence why the highland warriors were like supermen, they could wield huge axes and claymores hurl boulders and logs great distances.

It never felt good for them to exercise and strain themselves, but it made them incredibly strong and in the long run the managed to put up a fight against the English when they invaded.
Hence exercise makes you fitter and stronger, making you live longer in the survival of the fittest.

LS
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

Although these days, exercise is not as needed, but it does make you live longer as it exercises your heart muscle making your heart healthier.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Er... I beg to differ.

It doesn't take endorphins to make physical activity enjoyable. Now, repetitive actions like push-ups? Uh... nope, those won't be enjoyable no matter what you try. But there are many sorts of physical activity (i.e., exercise) which are enjoyable just for themselves. Physical activity ought to have a purpose; if you exercise just using repetitive, boring, strenuous movements, of course you won't like it!! Here are some examples of thoroughly exhausting, strenuous things that I like to do, which don't require endorphins to make them enjoyable...

--Swimming...
--Modern dance (I'm horrible, so I only do this in the privacy of my own dorm room... but I still love it!)
--Bicycling. Especially going downhill at about 30 MPH, with no helmet on so your hair's getting all tangled, you could wipe out at any second, and you don't care because you're having so much fun
--Ice skating. Especially when the rink is nearly empty and no one minds you speed-skating... :)
--Volleyball... I'm horrible but I love it...
--Self defense classes...
--Believe it or not, going to work (which, for me, is often low-paying physical labor) and getting double the quota. It's worth it 'cause your supervisor will probably let it slide the next time you're late :)

Most people have some sort of physical exercise they find enjoyable. I don't recommend doing repetitive, boring exercise because unless you're really disciplined or really responsible, you're never gonna keep it up.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Fighting for me. Unfortunately my sleeping pattern shifted so I can't go to my taekwondo class to re-learn how to fight effectively thus putting me in the lazy train again.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, I guess I must fit into the disciplined class then.
The low branch of a tree at the bottom of my garden has experienced me doing up to 20 pull ups a night which are more straining than push-ups. I'm disciplined but I still do it for enjoyment, the feeling afterwards makes me feel confident and strong.
It's like the aching of my muscles afterwards makes me feel somewhat alive and animated, like actually done or achieved something.
I guess it's hard to explain, some people just are different and enjoy different things.

LS

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: