Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / The Ultimate Guide To Adom

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 21:23 (GMT -5)

THIS IS A COMPILATION OF WHAT EVERY ADOM PLAYER SHOULD KNOW TO BE A GOOD "ADOMMER", ONLY POST REALLY GOOD STUFF...(bullet your tips, continue numbering from the last one)

1. Get Treasure Hunter talent(Miser, Alert).

2. Doors which "do not budge at all" when kicked are trapped doors.

3. When you kick a hidden door, the message "You really hurt your foot kicking the wall" generated.

4. Natural regeneration is just for looks, the Healing skill and blessed regeneration items make the real difference.

5. As a necromancer, always plan ahead to raise a level 110 quickling king undead(skeletal warrior/ghost lord).

6. Never take unneccessary risks in which the char's life is in danger.

7. Even if your character does not have the Herbalism skill, farm herbs anyway because you can uncurse them all with a blessed scroll of uncursing.

8. A truly good player never save-scums. If you die, its your fault, try again.

9. Low level mages may want to try bolting some greater claw bugs to gain quick experience.

10. Giant boars and killer claw bugs make great companions(super strong, great speed) for bards
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5777 days, 7 hours, 37 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

11. Wield a one-handed weapon and the best shield you can find.

12. Get very close to your god by sacrificing huge piles of gold or blessed stomafillia.

13. Some race/class combinations are much easier than others. Trollish Healer is great early on. Drakeling Wizard is great the whole way through.

14. Don't mess with potions of raw chaos.

Also I'd break up your number 6 a bit:

6a. Stay out of places you're not ready for (e.g. the Dwarven Halls, the ToEF, the Bug Temple).

6b. Have a means of escape (ideally the Teleportation spell) and be prepared to use it.

6c. Have healing supplies and be prepared to use them - conserving them is much less important than staying alive.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6332 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 08:54 (GMT -5)

15. Always carry a couple scrolls of darkness or the darkness spell.

16. Save your scrolls/potions of chaos resistance for the nasty corruptions.

17. Do not try to clear a greater undead vault if you are a fighter (or barbarian, etc.) or a mindcrafter.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5675 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Greater undead vaults aren't that bad if you know how to use a bow/xbow (they only have 1 emp.lich in the new versions as intended originally).
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3128 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

I NEVER use 1, 15 17 and 6 most of the time. I would NEVER think of 11 as a good advice, all my winners used 2-handed weapons. I am a nut, that tries Dark Elf Barbarians, goes through Dwarven Halls just to not get annoyed in the forest and has LOTS of luck too often, so don't take any of my advice exept for this one:

18. Always have slaying/penetrating ammo and some means to fire it.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 11:55 (GMT -5)

I didn't know about that emperor lich thing. Well, then point 17. should be changed to "Always clear greater vaults, the most handy stuff come from them". :)

C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

19. Always save SoCr until you are about to go to dungeons and close the gate ( or UCGE then save s until you enter the gate) Use potions for bad c's like apeish effect.
20. Only pray when you need it
21. Spellcasters get these talents, Auras,speed,Learning
22. Always be very afraid......
(I know these were dumb)
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I cannot stress this tip enough. When you walk, use the 'walk' command.

That is, hit the 'w' button, and then a direction. You will walk in that direction untilyou see a monster or other useful things you would stop for.

I had no idea how valuable this is. I used to think that getting the Ring of the Master Cat was impossible. I would always run down a cat by accident while wandering halls I'd been down a bunch of times before. Rushing, stupid, ya know? But with the 'w' and a direction key, you can walk at light speed and stop at the very sight of a monster. This is where you would want to stop ideally anyway, right? It's built in reflexes, accurate every time.

Ive gotten the Rong of the Master Cats four times since I started walking this way, which was about a month ago.

Now, at first, it will be a bit uncomfortable, especially if you are not used to it or are used to an alternate method of walking. But you'll get the hang of it in a day or two, and you'll be loving it.

This is an absolute MUST!

Sorry to be so adamant about this, but do people generally know this? Has this been discussed?

Z

er, the preceding was all I think 23)
loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

//I absolutely agree with maelstrom, I always use a blessed axe of the minotaur king until about C:45. It's really amazing...//

24. Always read a scroll of monster detection of zap a wand of monster detection in a level with a greater vault, ignore the vault if it is too dangerous or it is a vault of unicorns opposite your alignment(champion of order vs white unicorn vault)...

25. Potions of holy water can be "U"sed on any dungeon square to have a 50% chance of generating herbs on that square. This is useful for late-game chars without the gardening skill. Try to get a square of herbs with stomafillia or spenseweed. Keep in mind that the herbs will only grow if the level currently has other herbs or you are in a room with "smells of herbs and antiseptics".
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4909 days, 41 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

26. Low level characters should train at the infinite cave,since dangers can be easily evaded by running away and entering again.(e.g. cats)

27. Try to avoid corruptions unless they are pretty good.

Boredom ceases bladder.
Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7579 days, 9 hours, 51 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

28. Have music playing in the background while playing, I am far luckier when I do.

29. Unless youre save scumming, stay away from pools.

30. Dont feel like you need to complete all of the Dwarftown quests, because you dont.

31. Dont sneak past the eternal guardian, unless youre not going back.
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
Illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

32. For hidden doors: If you use the command "look" on the ground of a room, you _might_ (or sometimes might not) see it says that it is a "tunnel" at the square in front of that hidden door.

(Very convenient because the "look" command does not take energy points, and you can check the whole level at once without losing game time.)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

Concerning tip number 25: I thought that the part of herbs growing only on certain levels was fixed in the new versions. I can be wrong of course...

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

About point 17. Clear the greater vaults, because they usually contain 1-3 artifacts, sometimes 4! And if the vault is greater undead, then skip it. I'd rather miss out some artifacts than have my stats *DRAINED* dry by those lich kings and emperors. The best ones are the greater dragon vaults, because aside form the artifacts, you get to keep all the nice stuff dropped from the dragons.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 02:31 (GMT -5)

Actually greater dragon vaults are the vaults where you can not keep some of the stuff that they drop. Especially if the vault is the "great hall" kind of vault and it happens to be full of blue - or red... or black dragons... I'd say giants are the best encounter in greater vaults. With a ring of weakness, you'll get some str aswell (does this work anymore?). And at least they don't destroy the stuff that they drop.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 14:54 (GMT -5)

No no no. You have to lure the dragons out of the vault. Make them follow you around the level's corridors and kill them at entry points to rooms and at corners in the dungeons so that they don't blast the equipment dropped by the others.

like so:
       ##################
<-vault........X........#
       #########@.......######
               #...........X.#
               #........####@#
               #........#  #.#
               ##########  #.#
X's mark the spots where you lead the wyrms and dragons and kill them one after the other and @'s mark the spots where you stand when you kill them.
The monsters come from the left where the vault is. And if you're running out of space on one level you can always take them upstairs.

Although, I have to strongly agree with you CK! A giant vault is terrific especially if you've been blessed by the RNG with a ring of weakness.

EDIT2: ps. Now look what you've done! I was supposed to just read the forums and now you made me post aswell. And not only to this thread, geez... To top it all off I should have been spending all this time reading for my tomorrow's french exam :P

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 5/19/2003 at 15:12 (GMT -5) by J.]
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Both dragon and giant vaults are nice. Dragons have more equipment dropped, that's why many players scum the BDC when they want to increase their stats / improve equipment.

Giant Vaults, OTOH, can raise your strength to 99! Just have your Food Preservation at 100, get a weapon of hunting, some stomacemptia herbs. When you have many corpses already, stop fighting for a while, and wear the Ring of Weakness, but make sure that you carry little stuff, to avoid death via crushing. Then eat all those corpses and watch your stats rise!!!
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

Just for completeness sake, strength increases occur when strength is low. But since you wear a ring of weakness, your strength will be reduced to 2, thus increasing the chances of the increase.
loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET A RING OF WEAKNESS??? it sounds broken, and i don't think i've got one before...

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESNT KNOW THIS???
Yes  No
Check results

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

It's dropped randomly and it's quite rare. You might not find them in all of your games.

Oh and strength increases can occur if your strenght is high it depends on the corpse you eat. Ogres don't get you higher than you can train yourself with burdening but fire giant kings work even after 40's and so.

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but even a simple ogre corpse will raise your strength if you wear a RoW because the game checks your current strength not your base strength. And since your current strength is 2 from the ring, then there's a much larger chance of an increase.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Yes that's why it's been advertised as a good item all the way from Crimson King's post.

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 09:50 (GMT -5)

33. Get slowed. I heard that getting slow, via slow spell, lets you have a lot more experience when killing monsters. Can anyone confirm this??
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

Yes, if your speed is 30 you get alot more exp from monsters than with speed 100. The best way to use it is to slow yourself and -kablam- shoot the great karmic wyrm with a death ray.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

Slowing might work but the exp increase you get was toned down somewhere along the updates.

Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 18:04 (GMT -5)

At least it worked with 1.0.0 like in the earlier versions or I haven't paid much attention to it.

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

33. If you are new to ADOM, then DON'T TAKE A MAGIC-USING CLASS!!!

34. Leave your sense of reality at the door. Expect your high-level character to be able to carry more items than are physically possible.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: