Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / What to do against corruptions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

boehse
Registered user

Last page view:

7616 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

1st of all sry for mistakes... German... ;)

In many dungeons in the game I'm getting a corruption without even beeing hit or something... just while moving arround...
I wanted to ask if there's something I can to that I won't get any corruptions.... thx....
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Well, someone explain him the corruption side, I'll explain how to get rid of it.

Well, there are some items (and an npc) that can remove your corruptions. If you even happen to find a Scroll of chaos resistance or a potion of cure corruption in your backpack and you've got a corruption, then read the scroll, or drink the potion.
Here's a couple quaranteed scrolls/potions for corruption:

The Terinyo druid gives you potions of cure corruption if you take him a greater chaos monster (corpse). And that means all those temple guards and some other monster (like the black druid).

You get a scroll of chaos resistance from the remote mountain village, if you have a wand of teleportation or something similar and teleport control. Ever happened to thought what the one room in the middle of the RMV is that has no means of enter? Well, teleport to there.

Khelavaster gives you scrolls of chaos resistance if you bring him an amulet of life-saving (Khelavaster is the dying sage, below the dwarven city).

The Greater white unicorn can cure all of your corruptions once after you've defeated the greater black unicorn. That's a lvl 30 quest, so after lvl 30 go to speak to Guth'alak, the terinyo druid and he'll give you the quest

That's all the quaranteed cure corruption stuff I can remember.

Also, potions of cure corruption and scrolls of chaos resistance can be found anywhere, just like all other scrolls and potions in the game.

Happy now? : )

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/30/2003 at 18:12 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
boehse
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:16 (GMT -5)

hhhhmmmmmm.....
Do you use any InstantMassangers like ICQ? ^^
I have many questions... about? ;) the game and wanted to talk to anybody who seems to know the game... I think you do.. ^^
boehse
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

hmmm... I've read about a "Quickling Tree".....
Where to find it?
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

No, I don't use any instant messengers.

The quickling tree is an useless place, you don't have to know anything about it. : )

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 18 hours, 25 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

Well, you should know how to find it - just use the 's'earch command on the forest in the wilderness, west of the river. You'll find the entrance. It's up to you to figure out how to get there (and it's not useless! A couple of quickling corpses, and a dooming, cursing, corrupting, autocuring artefact that does nothing is all you get - you can always sacc it :P).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 01:52 (GMT -5)

Maelstorm has a typo there, the artifact you get from the quickling tree is autocursing, not curing in any way :)

About corruption: in many dungeons in the game you get background corruption, that is the game corrupts you every step you take. You don't have to get hit by anything to get corrupted. Also, the background corruption is increased (doubled?) after day 90 gametime.

If you want to get massively spoiled about the game check Andy Williams' guidebook at www.andywlms.com/adom.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

There's a few "guaranteed" sources of scrolls of chaos resistance (often abbreviated to SoCR) that Crimson King didn't mention.

• There's another enclosed room in Dwarftown. If you teleport there, you will see a dwarven mystic. Talk to him, and if you're neutrally aligned he'll give you some stuff, possibly including four blessed SoCR. (If you're lawful, he'll only give you an artifact axe, and if you're chaotic, he won't give you anything.)
  • Ever been to the Sinister Library of Niltrias (down the deep rift)? If you spend a long time quietly reading in there, the librarian will give you a weird tome to deliver to the Mad Minstrel, who'll give you five cursed SoCR.
  • There are three cursed SoCR hidden in a statue in the Bug Temple, but it's a VERY dangerous place.

boehse
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Just opened another thread in the "Genereal" Topic...
PLEASE! ^^ I'm looking for someone who can support me a bit in playing ADOM
boehse
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

My Barbar can't read... so I have to find a Potion...
Would you please tell me where you would look for an "greater chaos monster (corpse)"?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

I think black unicorns are qualified, as are all the chaos orb guardian corpses, the black druid and multi-headed chaos dragon. Probably bad-ass & signs such as (greater?) molochs.

Have you done the dwarven quests? The first dwarven quest (kill a monster) grants you a potion of literacy if you're illiterate. You could also hunt down dark sages and black wizards, their corpses grant literacy.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 at 14:22 (GMT -5)

i had a bard with 7lb that got corrupted at day 70... i had the weird tome, got 4 from teh mystic and 6 from khelly. i had 11 total cause i kept the tome to try and read it later. by lvl 32 i was corrupted enough to be a writhing mass, i had used all but 3 scrolls. why so much corruption? i don't know. but i do know that poison hands can change 7 PoUH and 7 PoCC into a complete disaster. i had 200 + potions of poison.

i ate the minotaur emperor's corpse, does that have a long lasting effect? it only gave me one corruption, not bad for 3 strength and 3 toughness. does carrying crown of science cause more corruption without wearing it? or moonsycle? i couldn't beleive how much corruption i was getting. maybe it's becuase i did much more melee combat as a bard.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

usually, PCs with mediocre or weak melee tend to get corruption because they spend more turns attacking, thus the background corruption. Spells can get you through the monsters and the levels faster.

As a genereal rule, don't eat corpses of very corrupt being, as the fortune cookie says "it corrupts your very soul"

To boehse:
IIRC, you can give the corpse of the target of the quest assigned by the village druid, (named Kheriax??) not sure on the name. Other chaos beings are harder to get, and by the time you get them, you might be able to cope with some of the corruptions that you encounter.

Another general rule (at least for me)
Don't use those PoCC or SoCR UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY!! Reserve them for later. and the deeper you get in the caves, the more the background corruption, so minimize you movements. What I do is to teleport from one staircase to another, that is if your a spellcaster. :)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

List of corrupting artifacts: black tome of alsophocus, boots of great speed, crown of chaos, sceptre of chaos, medal of chaos, amulet of raw steel, shield of raw steel. Moon sickle doesn't corrupt you unless you use it as a weapon it corrupts you every time you hit an opponent with it. I think that's all... So if you were carrying any of those you were getting extra corruption. Eating things only gives you a certain amount of corruption it doesn't affect the background corruption. Also, crowned champions of chaos get corrupted faster.

Forgot to say that using the chaos orbs corrupt you. Different orbs corrupt different amounts. I think the mana orb corrupts the most.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/3/2003 at 05:06 (GMT -5) by J.]

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 11:11 (GMT -5)

damn, i was carrying the tome for a long time. that must be it. yep. found it in the store in HMV. what a waste.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 03:51 (GMT -5)

And of those J mentioned, only the black tome can be generated randomly. All the rest require you to do specific tasks to be able to obtain them. So more or less you won't get these items unless you are really looking for them.

Just curious, concerning the corruption increase on champions of chaos. Does anyone know by how much it increases? Is it drastic or just minimal.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

The black tome is pretty much the most useless artifact. If when I find it I'm not very far from a shop I just might kick it around to the shop and sell it but otherwise I don't bother with it at all.

Jon McGwire
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 at 00:22 (GMT -5)

Don't leave out another of the *minor* but still important ways of corruption removal: tracts of order.

I never found out what a tract of balance did: moves you closer to a neutral god?

Tracts of order will removal corruption at a small piety charge. Maybe sacrifice 5000 gold per reading to an alter and it should do just fine(that is, considering you're into your higher levels).
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

Well, one should always keep high levels of piety at the endgame, just in case you get into a dire situation.

And tracts of order are useful for when you just you get an annoying corruption, and want them removed. Just one reading of the tract will remove a recent corruption.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: