Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Suggestion: Weaponsmiths

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7539 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 07:05 (GMT -5)

Since TB's site is pretty inactive, I thought I'd bring this up for discussion here. Bear with me if this has been up already.

Weaponsmiths's ability to enhance weapons is maybe not that used, but it's more something you can do just for doing it. Sure great items can be forged, but the inability to create weapons hampers the skill greatly. As it is now, you need to find a good weapon, before smithing is of any use.
I know creating weapons could possibly overpower the smiths, but as they are now, they aren't that good other than that fire immunity they gain.

My suggestion is that weaponsmiths could imbue weapons and armor with magic, improving their ability. This might overpower them too, but let's face it, they aren't that popular class anyway.

How it would work, would be something like TSR? dwarven ability to create a powerful weapon once in their life. I'd change that so that it would only take a very long time before a wsmith could do it again. The magic itself would appear as the suffixes(?) like of penetration. Level would reduce the time of between the smith could do his magic. Level would also affect the strength of the enchantment and maybe spell points would affect this too. So people with high level and a lot of s.points would be able to do very powerful weapons.

The weaponsmiths only real advantage against non-weaponsmith smithers is the reduced time gained as a class bonus, but it really is not that great. This ability could also be enabled only for dwarven weaponsmiths. Also the ability could class bonus with of about level 20 to 30.

Input? Flames? I'd like to hear of you before posting it on ADOM main site or mailing TB about it. Thanks for reading it
-Warlord

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 12 hours, 27 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

Even if you were to post this idea I think it would never be added to the game. Also it wouldn't be fair to restrict anything for only one race/class now would it? It'd only emphasize playing traditional combos (like elf/wizard), which IMO wouldn't be such a good thing.

Also it would be very very unbalancing for smiths to just snap their fingers and get a murderous 2H eternium of devastation and penetration.

I agree, weaponsmiths suck. They don't even have mining. Mining would be nice to get ore.

I don't think TB wanted the weaponsmith to be the ultimate class in his game. The only good thing about them is how ever weak the race is that you're playing your char will always be strong enough to carry your starting equipment (with that 1000s anvil) so you'll always have a strength of 18 or so even with halflings.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

Ok, of you think it's too easy, then add a minor stat drain, like in writing scrolls (try out an advance scroll like SoCR or Peace or something like that and you'll see).

Or that if you are too weak, you could die in trying to make too powerful weapon/armor.

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6671 days, 5 hours, 38 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

But IRL (or medeival times, w/e!) if you were forging armor, wouldn't you stop if you were getting beat up by your own hammer and forge? Why would you keep standing there?

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Yes, but you see the magics used to enchant the armor are the ones which kills you.
I mean, you CAN kill yourself by casting too much spells in Adom...and that's what kills in the magical armor/weapon thing. The enchantment the smith is tryin to do.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

IT could work. It would probably have a few bugs, but with a little work, sure.

(:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: