Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What is the old barbarian for?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

I killed the old barbarian because whenever I talked to him he just said something like, 'Hmph, leave me alone.' But now I don't know if he was going to be helpful at all. He gave me about 5000 exp. but I was wondering if there was something better you could get from him.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Your alignment was Chaotic? Thought so.

If you're Neutral or Lawful and have killed 500 monsters, The Old Barbarian gives you a quest to kill 20 of the one you killed first. If you complete it and come back, he gives you the Courage skill, which takes the edge off your tendency to fight badly when you're surrounded.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 21:27 (GMT -5)

Thanks,

Personaly I prefer the 5000 exp. but maybe that's just me.

(:
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

I prefer both >:)
Get Courage, and kill him in the dark :)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

He doesn't fight back in the dark? Ooohhh... *evil grin*

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

heheheh, thanks. I'll have to try that. Now i just have to find the first monster i killed...

(:
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 18 hours, 43 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

Always write down that first kill! U need it also when tracking down quickling bard from ID. It's good to have a relatively rare kill as a first kill, like mugger, bandit or sht. Never kill rats, bats, orcs, kobolds or goblins first, if u want Courage. It's quite useful u know. If u don't want that or the TotRR, then it doesn't matter what critter is yer first kill...

And if u have courage already (potions&scrolls of education can give u it!), then the old barbie gives u a crappy two-handed sword :-(

Icesus

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/14/2003 at 17:19 (GMT -5) by Ass Whisper]
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7539 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

Also courage can be gained from a wish as any other skill.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Now wouldn't a rat, bat, goblin or something like that extremely common be a good first kill if you want to get courage? A different matter for the TotRR though...

A good way to remember your first kill is either to name your char according to the monster you killed or use the monster memory.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7539 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

A good first kill is a monster which you know appears somewhere, but is rare elsewhere. Bandits and Outlaws and Outlaw Leaders, Muggers and Beggars are good, since you don't meet them often in regular dungeons. I think Muggers only appear in the outlaw village. Farmers are too pretty good.

If going only for TotRR and not courage, then killing a unique moster like The Mad Doctor is good.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 at 12:45 (GMT -5)

Farmers aren't such a good idea... Terinyo doesn't regenerate, does it?...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

A good first kill is a gremlin. You know where to find 20 of them when the need arises :D

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6671 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

Muggers do spawn, I see them in dungeons all the time, but I've never seen a beggar anywhere but Lawle~ but that may just be me :P

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

Beggars can spawn also in High Village, very rare though.
Muggers are abundant in Assassin Guild, especially if u kill everybody else except the prince. Elsewhere, muggers are quite rare, so they are one of my fava first kills. Outlaws & bandits are nice too, but leaders are too rare methinks...

for J. -> Gremlin quite hard to take as first kill, unless u have a pet to slay all those rats, bats etc. in the first caves... ;P

Icesus
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

You could try walking over to the gremlin cave :)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

Taking quite a large chunk of game time, and maybe starving in the process...

Actually, a greater claw bug is a wonderful first kill for a spellcaster that starts with a bolt spell (train first up to effectivity +2). They're always in the same arrangement when you enter Bugville, so you know which direction to fire your bolt. Two or three castings should do it; then you can make a run for it before you're chopped to pieces!

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/17/2003 at 11:27 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

I recall sometime testing with a hurthling archer and with good luck they can kill one greater claw bug with their lvl 5 thrown rocks and get to lvl 5 from the kill.

BTW, I just got an inspiration doing that and my hurthling is doing great! He got the 40 rock heir and has been taking corpses from there, got his speed and dex up and a few levels(lvl 12, dex 33 speed 128). Also, a greater claw bug dropped a ring which appeared to be a ring of regeneration! Now I'm thinking of forsaking healing and taking herbalism instead. This is one of the best starts I've ever had with a char. Looking forward to see how I get him killed.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/17/2003 at 13:47 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
ABCGi
Registered user
Atomic Bacterial Chemical

Last page view:

7623 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

The Old Barbarian is a reminder that all heros have their day.

……ABCGi

Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

Hey, I'm a gray elven wizard with almost all the spells in the game, but im running dangerously low on bolt spells. My Fire bolt is at 30 more castings, Frost Bolt at 100, and Lightning at 4. Where can I get more gauranteed spellbooks (besides the ghost library)?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Nowhere:) There are no other guaranteed spellbooks. Now would be a good time to start training those melee&missile weapon skills which I guess you have neglected a bit until now. Even with a spellcaster you shouldn't rely totally on spells.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

IMO the Infinite Dungeon is quite good place for spellcasters to find a spellbook or two, if u have the patience to go trough the whole level before ascending/descending. I usually go there very early just to loot if playing a spellcaster.

Ambushing dragons at mainmap generates also pretty neat stuff, including sometimes spellbooks (if u can best 'em) as well as "Great Treasure" graves (if u can best that Lich that jumps out!)

Icesus

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: