Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Concerning wizards

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

I decided to do a wizard today...
So how much do they really find books? I've noticed that they find lots of spellbooks even in the beginning, but should I really rely on the spells totally? Or should I use weapons, and if I should, what weapons? And now that I found a pool, I was thinking of scumming a wish out of it =) but I can't decide what to wish for... any suggestions?
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Can you believe this?? I've over half an hour savescumming next to a pool, and I haven't got even one wish! My luck r0cks \m/
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 00:11 (GMT -5)

You need to rely on both weapons and spells. If you're playing a tough race, you can afford to develop just melee weapons; otherwise (especially with elves and hurthlings) try using missiles initially, before you find some good offense spells, and develop a melee weapon skill afterwards. NEVER run out of castings (or even run low, because you WILL run into something you don't want to touch (corrosion, paralysis, stat draining, rust monsters, sickness, etc.), or something that is unaffected by spells (resistant monsters or will o' wisps). Unless you have 300 or more castings or you need to up your effectivity, don't use spells to combat things you can kill physically. At low levels, using your last casting of Frost Bolt on that goblin you could've smashed easily is not going to do you much good if you suddenly find yourself facing a fire drake.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 8 hours, 31 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

Even a wizard can rely on melee if (s)he has a decent weapon. My latest winner (gnomish wizard) cleaned out the fire temple mostly in melee (I only used spells on the Big Boss and to speed up killing a bit). If possible you should collect as much weapons as possible and after altar-identifying their buc-status try out every non-cursed one. Since there aren't any trapped weapons (not to my knowledge anyway, at least not in non-artifact weapons) it is perfectly safe to try out all non-cursed non-artifact weapons. And since one will automatically identify all wielded weapons you may find quite nice weapons that way. For instance when my current char (gnomish weaponsmith) tried out the hatchet from Yrrigs it turned out to be a hatchet of devastation (whoa !) - and a blessed one as well. With, say, an adamantium battle axe of devastation and some skill levels in axes you should be able to melee most opponents (except for karmic beings).

The bottom line is, even with a wizard you should try to hone your weapon skills. You don't necessarily need spells to kill monsters but you can use either melee if you have a good weapon and some skills, or use missiles. You should also not overlook missile weapon skills.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

OMG!
I just used a blessed scroll of identifying and was looking at the stuff I'd got with this wizard, and noticed that I had a wand of wishing, with five charges in my inventory =) not bad! How will it affect if I bless it?
And again, OMG!!
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 15:53 (GMT -5)

So, I got blessed 7LB, 3 rings of elemental mastery and a amulet of life saving (scrolls of CR, here I come ^_^)

What would it be smart to wish for now, so that it'll help me in the later game, not just now?
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 16:19 (GMT -5)

*Laughs like a maniac*
I just got _another_ wand of wishing! Sadly with just 2 charges =/ but now I've got 5 wishes and 6 blessed SoCR ^_^

Very nice luck, eh?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/24/2003 at 16:19 (GMT -5) by its author]
Jonesy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

Not bad.

When I don't edit ADOM's temporary level data to get WoWI, I usually get about 8 wishes, and maybe 2 rings of dsjinni summoning....

Use most of your wishes on Amulets of life saving, that'll help keep your people alive.
I am pretty sure that blessing it doesn't do anything (but it couldn't hurt).

You can cheat to boost your effectivity on spells. If you want to know how, I'll tell ya (30,000 effectivity gets rid of shopkeepers. :).))

If you are playing a wizard, you can try making scrolls of chaos resistance. Wish for a writing set. Here are the consiquences for making them (Thanks, Andy!). Make sure both the blank scroll and writing set are blessed, If I were you...

Scrolls can be written if the PC is literate, has seen an example of the scroll, has a magical writing set and a blank scroll to write on. Blank scrolls can be found in the dungeons (usually an unlabeled scroll, although this is not guaranteed), or they can be created by dipping other scrolls into *normal* water - not holy water or unholy water. Be aware that the cost for writing scrolls of chaos resistance is high - there is a permanent loss of two or three mana points for *wizards*, apparently depending on the blessed vs uncursed status of the magical writing set. The mana cost for non-wizards is significantly higher, ten mana points is typical. In addition, any combination of a blessed MWS with an uncursed blank scroll or an uncursed MWS with a blessed or uncursed blank scroll will result in a loss of hitpoints. This loss ranged from 70 to 145 HP with a WADOMF'd experience level one wizard PC. The HP loss may go down with increasing experience level for wizards, but this has not been tested. The HP consequences for non-wizards may be more dramatic (i.e. deadly).

Writing other scrolls does not have such drastic consequences, though the exact effects have yet to be worked out

The one item I still wish I had is the artifact Silver Key. Opens all doors. :)

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/24/2003 at 16:42 (GMT -5) by its author]
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

But there's always knock, right =)
I'll think about writing those scrolls if I find a writing set...
Jonesy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

Gah, use a wish. :). It'll save you more on the long run, trust me. (Make sure you got lots of PP, though).

For info on raising you effectivity to 30,000, go to the Yahoo! Group Cheatinginadom, email me, or just post here.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/24/2003 at 16:56 (GMT -5) by its author]
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

Nah, that's too much cheating =)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 20 hours, 29 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

Remember that you can wretch a final charge from a wand that has 0 charges. That includes wands of wishing.

Spellbooks of acid ball could be a useful wish. That or generally useful items you're lacking: tower eternium shields, dragon scale mails, a girdle of giant strength etc. You could always save the wishes and use them when the need arises.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Sami
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Hey! I actually could use a girdle of GS =) thanks!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: