Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What Is "pre-crowning"

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nu B
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

Ok, this is probably a newbie question but what is "pre-crowning" I've seen a lot of stuff about and apparently its important.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 17 hours, 45 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 02:58 (GMT -5)

Pre- and post-crowning are events that occur when you pray for your deity but cannot receive the normal crowning for some reason. Your deity still rewards u with a random artifact. Very nice thing ;)

Pre-crowning occurs when u have sacrificed almost but just not enough to get crowning (You feel extremely close to xxx). Praying will possibly give u pre-crowning, but it depends heavily to your piety (beats me..)

Post-crowning is easier. After getting crowned, sacrifice tons of gold/stuff/monsters and get the 'extremely close' piety. Pray, and u receive a free artifact.

Both pre- and post-crowning require a minimum level from your char (unlike crowning). It also depends on the amount of artifacts already in the game (like Si, Black Torc, Gladius etc..). The formula is: char lev >= 8 + 3 * artifacts generated.
So if two artifacts are generated (for example Si and yer Crowning gift) yer char needs to be at least level 14 to get post-crowning. Simple math.

Read more info at the ADOM Guidebook about crownings.

Icesus
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

With precrowning, alignment is also involved. If you're N-, L or CN, you can get precrowned, but if you're one of the extreme alignments C-, N=, L+ you are likely to get crowned. And that is a BAD THING. You wonder why getting crowned is a bad thing? Because you're missing a free artifact:) Crowning doesn't have the same limit with number of artifacts generated. If you're level 8 and get crowned you have to wait until you're level 11 to get postcrowned. But at level 8 you could get precrowned first and after that get crowned, so that you'd have two artifacts at level 8.

I usually try to get two precrownings and then crowning at level 11. You have to sac more and more each time so it doesn't get too exhausting and with three artifacts equipped you don't need more food, where as four artifacts would increase food consumption.(+.25 food consumption/turn/artifact for crowned chars, rounded down)

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/1/2003 at 04:10 (GMT -5) by J.]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: