Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What Should I Wish For

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Downer
Registered user
ChAoS sEeS aLl

Last page view:

7610 days, 1 hour, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

I have a wand a wand of wishing but don't want to waste it on something crappy. What's the best thing to wish for?

If she floats then she is not a witch like we thought.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 02:45 (GMT -5)

If u don't have seven league boots, wish for them like "seven league bootss" with two 's' at the end. It will give u multiple boots (3 pairs or so). 7LB are very nice equip, worth wishing I think.

My favourite waste of WoW at high levels is emperor moloch (in a big hall or empty plains). He won't appear, but summons 30-40 greater molochs. If u can kill 'em, it gives huge exp. And it's easy to run from them...

Amulet of Life Saving is sometimes necessary to wish for, if u wan't to save khelavaster (to get the trident).

Potions of education is also nice, 'cos they can give u brand new skills, like athletics or necromancy for any kind of character. Or they can raise your haggling or listening etc... always bless them!

Icesus
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6326 days, 22 hours, 32 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

Also, I usually waste a wish on Girdle of Giant sthrengt as the game doesn't have any other brilliant girdles, except the platinum girdle, but it's almost impossible to get. If you've ran out of good things to wish for, save the wishes. You never know when you might need an item that isn't very easy to find.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

You can also wish for 'pairs of seven league boots' to get, well, 2-4 pairs of the damn boots :) This one's a no-brainer but if you're getting corrupted heavily, wish for scrolls of chaos resistance. You could also wish for tower eternium shields or dragon scale mails (of your preferred color) for some good defence. Also remember that when your WoWi has 0 charges, you can wretch a final charge from the wand, thus breaking it.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

You can also wish for 'pairs of seven league boots' to get, well, 2-4 pairs of the damn boots :) This one's a no-brainer but if you're getting corrupted heavily, wish for scrolls of chaos resistance. You could also wish for tower eternium shields or dragon scale mails (of your preferred color) for some good defence. Also remember that when your WoWi has 0 charges, you can wretch a final charge from the wand, thus breaking it.

Also, bless the 7LBs and SoCRs.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Downer
Registered user
ChAoS sEeS aLl

Last page view:

7610 days, 1 hour, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

Ok this is probably a stupid question but what do the 7LB do? I already have a pair.

If she floats then she is not a witch like we thought.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

They affect your walking speed. Normally it takes you 1000 energy points to take a step. 7LBs change it so that it takes 1250(?)/750/500 energy to take a step. So with blessed 7LBs you walk twice as fast. Very useful for running from tough enemies, doing hit&run tactics and spending much much less game time. They also reduce the amount of game time that passes in the wilderness by a very large factor(could be half, could be more don't know).

Example: heired bard(who get 7LBs from start) enters terinyo, talks to people, visits SMC, visits outlaw town, goes to ID and levels up to 6, goes down to the carpenter and gets healing and bridge building, and after that goes to rescue the puppy. Elapsed gametime at that point two days and a half and the puppy still alive down there. I'd guess 6-7 days without the boots. Very useful, you know, because after day 90 background corruption is doubled and all...

loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

correction to earlier point, if want skills, wish for scrolls of education instead of potions, scrolls usually gets more skills... has anyone tried wishing for "experience"? i want to try but dont want to waste a wish =).

i guess scrolls of chaos resistence are the best to wish for... and yea, i use wishes on girdles of g.strength too, but mine got destroyed -___-
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1660 days, 21 hours, 42 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

I've wished for rings of fire/ice and amulet of life saving and DEFINATELY go for 7lb.

I don't wish for armor and weapons as even eternium can be damaged and rendered useless.

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7538 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 05:46 (GMT -5)

You can wish for certain skills directly, instead of makign it a luck shot with PoEds

Rings of elemental mastery are very nice too

I'm gonna check that exp. wish soon and the same I'll try to get weapon exp. I'll report back later.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

IIRC you can wish for all the other skills but healing(if you wish for it you get healed, duh!) and alertness(increases perception).

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Yes, that is true.

Also, wishing for experience or levels gives nothing (tested with 1.1.0) and I tried several ways of wishing for weapons skills. I noticed that wishing for 'dagger marks' gives a level in every weapons skill. Tried also sword marks etc. but dagger marks was the only one that worked.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

Comfirm this please, Warlord: So if my char has level 14 Mastery in Polearms (for example) and wish for dagger marks, will it go up to 15? Or does it have same kind of effect when gaining weapon marks from old gladiator, that gives only few hundred marks or so (can't remember the exact amount) to all weapons?

If this is true, I finally can get that Grand Mastery someday. Never had a greater than level 14 mastery (and that was polearms w/ an orcish farmer w/ sword birth sign, advances VERY quickly)

Icesus
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 13:41 (GMT -5)

Hmm....glad you asked. I made a little more testing and it seems that the number of marks given is randomly distributed among all the skills, so some advance faster than others. The amount of points is unknown (further testing required).

At now, I can recommend this with level 0 to 5 skills, as it seems to give enough marks to advance a full level, but beyond that, several wishes are needed.

And yes, wishing for dagger marks in that exact form gives the marks. I will look more closely to this later. The message generated when wishing is "As you wish"...even you wish for 'dagger marks' the dagger class is not favored more than any other.

I tested most of the weaponskills, but only daggers gave the marks, so wish for dagger marks for almost guaranteed success.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2003 at 13:51 (GMT -5) by Warlord]
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

Didn't work for me! I have a savegame from 50 level assassin that closed the gate and has dual-daggers and weapon skill of 14 in daggers.

Before wishing:
Req marks: daggers = 4224, bows = 2097

After wishing:
Req marks: daggers = 4057, bows = 1897 ! !!

other weapon skills went up 1 level, but they were on level 1 all. It was as I supposed! I can give u that savefile to test yerself. There are two RoDS and WoWishing in the backpack. get the file here, if u wan't...

Icesus
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

As I said, the number is random and distributed among all the skills. Works best at low level skills to give a little boost.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

Ya, too good to be true ;) I just got pretty excited the second I read yer message... ^_^

Icesus

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2003 at 14:11 (GMT -5) by Ass Whisper]
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

Sorry, I didn't test it enough the first time. I might look more closely to this tomorrow, or then after a week (got a trip).

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6511 days, 20 hours, 36 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

This is from the CheatingINADOM's Wishing Guide Version 2 file. Thanks to Clint and Theldon. I may post the whole version of this. :)

'better marks' - Wishing for better marks in 1.0.0 adds 1(!) to every weapon skill mark, even shields. Later versions add a variable amount dependent upon stats. Don't know the exact formula, character with unmodified stats got around 100 marks, +/- 15 or so, while a character with 99 all stats got around 500, +/- 30 or so. - theldion
(Edit-After extensive testing, you get somewhere between 300 and 600 marks per wish.)
2. Equipment:
'helm of water breathing', then 'insight' to see if it's cursed, if it's not,
wear it
'amulet of life saving', then ditto
'girdle of carrying', then ditto
'cloak of invisibility', then ditto
either 'maces of destruction', then ditto *OR*
'eternium two-handed swords' several times, 'insight', pick one that has 'of
something', 'penetration' is good
'ring of elemental mastery', then 'insight' to see if it's cursed, if it's not,
wear it
'ring of see invisible', then ditto
'bracers of resistance', then ditto
'seven league boots', then ditto

'annis hag' until you get a corpse, eat it - this curses you. Be careful. Useful if you wanna try to generate vaults.
'greater daemon' until you get a corpse, eat it - this DOOMS you. Be plenty damn careful. Useful if you wanna try generating vaults.

'blink dog' until you get a corpse, eat it
'pixie' or 'pixie archer' until you get a corpse, eat it - chance of granting teleportation intrinsic. Useful if you've gotten teleportation control from the blink dog corpse or item, pain if not.

'invisible stalker' until you get a corpse, eat it - grants either see invisible or invisibility.
'red dragon' until you get a corpse, eat it - ancient red dragons also give +1 str in addition to Level 3 fire resist.

Fire resist is the only resistance that has levels.

'white dragon' until you get a corpse, eat it - ancient whites also give +1 toughness (these are useful if you ran into a stat drainer)

'troll' or variants -shadow trolls decrease toughness - eating these guys have a chance of increasing your HP regen rate, and are the only way a troll PC can increase it. Not the same as Healing skill. 'potions of troll blood' do this for anybody except trolls.

'quickling' or variants until you get a corpse, eat it - increases speed, but be careful - quickling kings and queens also shorten your lifespan. Use potions of longevity to counteract this.

'giant slug' until you get a corpse, eat it
'blue dragon' until you get a corpse, eat it - ancient blues also give +1 dex
'cave fisher' until you get a corpse, eat it
'scrolls of luck', read two of them

Please note, no corpses give petrification (gorgon corpses petrify you - not a good thing to eat), confusion, sleep, or death ray resistances, items do however. - theldion

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/6/2003 at 15:50 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1660 days, 21 hours, 42 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

Wishing for marks. I've never tried that but I intend to. That'll help my wizards along rather nicely.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 04:34 (GMT -5)

The guide Jonesy posted is intended for people with WoWi 2000000000+ charges so most of those ideas are pretty much a waste if you don't have 2 billion wishes:)

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6511 days, 20 hours, 36 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Yeah. :). But using 25 wishes takes most of your marks to level 9. So if you wanted to be a jack of all trades....
(Edit-You can't go up more than one level at a time. Sorry. :). 5 wishes will usually bring all of your things to level 5.)

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/8/2003 at 13:27 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

There must be a million better ways to spend 5 wishes :D

Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

Heheh, 5...
I did that wand-of-wishing hex thing in the spoilers forum, now i hav 6474326543 or so wishes!!! its awesome, but i keep running out of ideas what to wish for ^^

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 04:56 (GMT -5)

Pathetic... that has nothing whatsoever to do with the game anymore...

Icesus
loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

must you wish for those monsters to "hopefully" get some corpses? why not wish for the corpses directly? like "greater titan corpses"(they give +3 str and +3toughness). if this is confirmed possible, we'll all be wishing for that ancient blue wyrm corpses(that quest ancient blue dragon in the BDC) =)

and ass whisper, i don't understand, i've attained GM twice now and it doesn't seem that hard, both with needle/sting and using daggers throughout the whole game...(found an orcish dagger of vampirism around D:15) {^!^}
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

No, no wishing for corpses (learned the hard way, wished for "giant slug corpse" got a giant slug, that, ofcourse, didn't leave a corpse).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

Helps in gettting corpses if you wish for 'long bows of hunting' first.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

Guidebook states (and my personal experience) that long bows of hunting only increase ANIMAL corpse possibility. Weapons and missiles w/ suffix 'of hunting' increase ALL corpse possibilites... I luv'd my orcish spear of hunting!

Icesus
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I just use my wowi with millions of wishes for healing. (Ie, 100% healing). And wishing for Skills (You can't wish for Alertness or Healing, so you might want to try wishing for Scrolls of Education and then reading them (Might give you that skill).

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: