Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / freakiest death

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7105 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 18:24 (GMT -5)

If you've ever died it some times says that you unnaturally aged X years. It has probably happened to one of your characters if you have ever gone down to that undead level in CoC

(:
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3765 days, 10 hours, 18 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

Re: Item destruction

Happens all the time, with bolt or ball spells, as well as vortices and dragon/lizard/etc. breath. Acid is most likely to cause item destruction, followed by lightning, fire, and last of all ice, which tends to destroy only potions.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 22:00 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7583 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 00:45 (GMT -5)

So all I have to do is cast a fire bolt at a wand on the floor, and it will be destroyed and go off? I dont understand... I wouldnt be holding it. When people say "wrenching final charges" out of wands, they do mean destroying it, right?

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7542 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

Wrenching out the final means that you try to zap a wand with 0 charges. You eventually get to shoot the last one, but the wand will disappear after that.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

Items don't always get destroyed when they're hit with something. Se on fifty/sixty chänssi. But it's quite likely(and annoying) that when you blast firebolts with your wizard in a vault that all sorts of nice spellbooks which are piled under other stuff and you can't see are getting burnt.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6469 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

Ghost and their aging bring me to my most freaky, alibi memorable and sad, death...
After my L50 Dwarf Paladin triumphantly battled Fistanrius and his kind friends on D:50, closing the gate, and started his most triumphant march to the surface to leave the Draklor Chain (and provide me with my all time 2nd win!) and look forward to his well earned retirement, when he run across a lowly ghost on the Graveyard level (don't even ask why I didn't just take the shortcut) and being the mighty Paladin he is, decides to kill this lowly undead pest, when low and behold the Ghost ACTUALLY hit me! Once! And of course killed me due to aging. I hadn't realized exactly how much those darn Ghost Lords on D:50 had aged me... Oh, the humanity!

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 5 hours, 33 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Actualy I think I read about someone who actualy died from "natural" old age in ADOM once (or maybe I just dreamt it)...

Well some ghosts where obviously involved. Basicaly the char was aged to within a year of death from old age (probably a troll running into an early ghost or someting), and I guess he had one of those early birth signs, because a bit into the game it was like "Happy Birthday!" "You die" (well I asume the whole grim reaper thing came first)...

I bet the first time anyone ran into the "exploding frog death" they where very "WTF!" too :P

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3126 days, 21 hours, 3 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

Self-shot, the female hurthling archer, broke her leg on a wall - didn't know that was possible...

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Zaknafein
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

The most annoying death I've experienced in ADOM was with drakish fighter. it was right after I had cleaned up the D:50 and started going upwards. There had passed only 83 days in the game time and this guy would surely have made a new astonishing record of mine. But, Alas! When going upwards from the icy lvl, my poor Draco was close to hypotermia, and everyone knows that it doesn't do any good to drakeling's speed. So, right after arriving on D:49, a &%@¤ing ghost king appeared! I of course tried to kill it but it hit me like 10 times against my 1. And after few turns had passed, my dear Draco was aged to death! After the shock had passed and I had forced my mouth shut again, I seriously considered throwing either my computer or myself out of the window. Luckily things didn't turn out that way... The only consequence was that drakeling chars didn't seem too pleasant to play for a LOOOONNGG time...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5775 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 04:12 (GMT -5)

Make yourself invisible next time! Ghosts can't see invisible, so you could have walked away and warmed yourself up before returning to kill it (or just fleeing).

Having said that, I've died from old age far too many times. Once I lost a wonderful Orcish Assassin to a horde of ghost kings. I wore a ring of invisibility and fought them one at a time, but it only took one critical hit to kill me.
Jenda
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Not my freakiest death but yesterday I was very disappointed when I had descended to the 6th level of puppy cave (I had quite promising char), locked Kelly so that he couldnt fight with me (do you do it too?) and then started to clean the zombies´ vault - after a while I found an elven chain mail (10s). So I moved to a room which I considered safe and put on the new armor (sometimes I cant stand curiosity). It was purely the same as the chain mail (0,+5) I wore before. I kept fighting but suddenly after an attack of a ghul my new mail was damaged -> (0,+4). That annoyed me, things like that usually occure to me much later in the game. I decided to keep the new mail as a backup and wanted to shift... I put off the damaged mail... and a ghul was next to me... you know what followed when I had no armor:-( hate paralyzation#@%^$&
All I could think of in next 10 minutes of anger was that such situations cant be accidental... and that TB must have figured them out and somehow implemented into the game:-)

ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7429 days, 10 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

Adom has something personal against me, or at least my latest character, a dwarven archer. I had a promising start, killing the raider lord, and then getting healing skill from the elder quest, but I was really short on quarrels. Not to mention I had lost 3 crossbows already (stone block trap, 2 explosion traps), so I decided to go into ID. Got diseased by the first giant rat I met, but no worries, I managed to crawl back to Jhared for healing. Back to ID I go, and again, giant rat on level 2 diseased me. Again I managed to get healed, and I was feeling very lucky (even though I had no bolts or arrows and my gear was just bad), so I decided to try the little girl quest.

Sadly, there was a little room that helped spawners spawn faster. And there was a green worm in there. And then two green worms. And at this point I screamed out in frustration, tried to run, ran into an eye, got paralyzed by the fluids when killing it, and got swarmed by the worms that, yes, diseased me. At this point, I quit.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 at 04:51 (GMT -5)

Hmmm.... ten minutes?

Maybe you need anger management therapy, 'cause I'm so used to losing promising characters that I got over the loss of a level 21 character in less than two seconds today.

Sometimes I think that after so much ADOM, if I ever find myself in a plane crash or something, my last thought will probably be, "Figures."

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6674 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 at 22:48 (GMT -5)

Yesterday I got eaten from the outside in. By a snail. That will always hold a special place in my stomach, lol.

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7178 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 00:29 (GMT -5)

I was in bad shape with my Diety, so I decided to offer some stuff to him. As a Dark Elf I thought, they like books and I'm illeterate anyway so I offered one... a cursed one...

The summoned creatures wasted no time offering me up.

The number of time I've forgotten to re-equip my weapon after dancing with ratling fencemen and then found my bloody fists inefficent in halting my untimely deaths is also creeping up on me.

Teleportitis and shops isn't a fun combination either... especialy when you missed noticing you had it.
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

578 days, 5 hours and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

My two favourites are still dying from kicking empty air, and causing an explosion while mixing two potions of water. ;)

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Well my new level 18 PC was just eaten by a grue. It sure does seem like that happens a lot with a 1/10000 chance.

(:
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

It's 1/1000 IIRC. And you know what happens in a roguelike when you have 1/1000 of a chance to die. Try it 50 times, and you'll survive about once. It should be another aspect of Murphy's Law ;)

The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Lavos-notlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

lol!
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

I remember the first time I died to a grue. It was one of my first games and the first time I made it to the end-game(I savescummed then). I hadn't read the guidebook or anything so I was pretty stupid walking around cursed/doomed(didn't know much about them). So, my lvl 50 barbarian descends the stairs from D:49 to D:50 and gets eaten by the grue. It made me wonder what did I do wrong and how do you beat the game if you get autokilled when entering the last level:)

Hmm, come to think of it, that's probably the only time I've died to a grue.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/2/2003 at 11:11 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 20:54 (GMT -5)

Now that sucks.

Thats all i can say,\.

(:
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 08:36 (GMT -5)

Well, it's lucky he'd savescummed, so he'd a backup of the char. That's a kind of death where it's IMHO morally correct even for roguelike purists to reload. :P

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

I don't think so... not for the purists. The only reason to reload is a computer crash, power outage, whatever--because those are absolutely unavoidable, no matter how strong your character is.

Just because it's an instadeath doesn't mean a death from grue attack isn't preventable. First, you can just not get doomed in the first place; second, you can carry a light source into dark rooms if you do get doomed.

If you wanted to exempt grue attacks, you'd have to exempt all instadeath situations... death rays, gorgon petrification, (near-)permanent paralysis, et cetera. And if you did that, you wouldn't be a purist anymore.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

I agree with Iridia: the only proper reason to reaload a backup is if the game crashes, you have a power shortage cutting your game off or something that is not your fault. I might even allow cats jumping on your keyboard causing you to step on an altar and getting sacrificed. But if you reaload for any other reason then it's cheating.

Also getting yourself eaten by a grue is a very big, stupid, idiotic, newbieish mistake. Everybody ought to know the effects of dooming and not go walking around in the dark while doomed. I might even say that everytime you get yourself killed while doomed you've done something wrong and should have known better than go walking around begging for trouble with bad luck(as in cursed/doomed instead of lucky/fate smiles).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/3/2003 at 12:24 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

"Cats jumping on your keyboard causing you to step on an altar and getting sacrificed." Lol, the cat is lucky that you're an ADOMer then, who is strictly opposed to killing any sort of feline... :p

Btw, is it actually possible to be killed by a non-aligned amulet, like Amulet of Order for a chaotic? Never happened to me...

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

Yes it is.

Now where is Dougy(was it dougy?) with his "all the ways you can die in adom" list? It's somewhere on these boards but I'm too lazy to search for it.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

yeah, its happened to me, i was at a low level (like 10) and wasnt paying attention to what it said. Soon enough i got my hitpoints low and there it was, killed by an unaligned amulet.

(:
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5775 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

Dougy's list is on the Web here.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Woooooo! Great, thanks! I'll bookmark the page for further reference(I had it on the old computer but not this one).

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3126 days, 21 hours, 3 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

"He died of exhaustion on a bad day... (born with 0 or less initial hp (on a monday))"
This one sucks! You die before you even start :D

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: