Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Super powerfull heroes...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 10:40 (GMT -5)

Descided to split this from the A new book series seeng as it was getting a "little" bit off topic (largely because of me :P)

Iridia

Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 19:35 (GMT 1)
It's a lot like the way super-hero comics are being written lately, because the authors don't have enough foresight to keep their characters vulnerable. Superman, for example, couldn't even fly in the first few strips... recently he's been seen shrugging off nuclear bombs. And so, they must manufacture near-godlike villains so there'll actually be a plot...

---
Die Gedanken sind Frei...

Yeah, though with Superman at least they have always made a big deal about hiding his sected identity, so you can always get some suspence in by puting him in situations where it's hard or impossible for him to intervene without blowing his "cover".

Pluss you have the Kryptonite and "magic" weaknesses. Pluss aparently you can prevent him from "recharing" his aura of indestructability if he's cut off from direct sunlight... I mean he can still take a nuke point blank, but throw in a second one and he's in trouble... Most of those setups require some rather elaborate and unlikely setups though....

Also in the TV series (Clark & Louis) he's been wimped a little bit, he can't live in vacum longer than he can hold his breath (wich is quite a long time), and a head on colossion with a meteor that threatened to destroy earth actualy gave him a slight concussion and amnesia :P

That said I like the X-Men (or would Marvel heroes be a better word?) type "super" heroes better, instead of a few hard to exploit weaknesses they are just regular humans with one or two special abilities.

Can't rely think of any other "super powerfull" heroes right now (other than Lord Rahl from those Sword of Truth books as mentioned in the spawing thread, I mean he's a "normal" human, but he can destroy anyting in sight with magic (though he rarely does) and as long as he has his sword no mere mortal can hope to defeat him in melee, and he can snatch arrows out of the air or shoot them down with arrows of his own and stuff like that)...

Can anyone else think of any heroes who have become to powerfull for theyr own good (or rather for the excitement of the storries they are part of)? And what manner of elaborate tricks the authors come up with to for such heroes to cntend with....

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Superman was toned way down in 1985 via DC's "Crisis on Infinite Earths." All the parallel worlds were destroyed, and the heroes merged into a single earth.

All the comics started again from #1. Superman now has to hold his breath when in outerspace (albeit, he can hold his breath a long time) He still has magic and kryptonite. As you said, he can run out of juice if removed from yellow suns or exposed to red ones.

I find him a much more palatable character now.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

My trouble now is with the "new" Green Lantern. I once read a story where Kyle pulls together all these asteroids and creates a planet.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

Marvel is not without its guilt. Marvel does not have omnipotent super heroes (although the Hulk comes close to indestructable) but it does keep creating bigger and bigger bad guys. Each time the heroes defeat on "omnipotent" being, Marvel has to come up with a new villain that is even . . . um . . . more . . . omnipotent.

First was Galactus, then the cosmic cube, then Eternity, then the beyonder, then The Beyonder was only a cosmic cube, then the infinity gems/gauntlet. Death fits in there somewhere (she goes up and down in power)

Now they have just finished their own version of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" with some storyline called "The End" or "The Infinite" or some such where the source of all power was obtained, and the universe was restarted -- though now, nobody can come back from the dead (yeah, right)
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 21:42 (GMT -5)

Hmm, yeah I guess it swing the other way too, even the the heroes aren't all powerfull it gets kinda dull to have them go back to fighting bank robbers or what not after having defeated some extra dimentional super maga ancient demonic overlord thingy. Sort of a downer...

Never rely read the Hulk, but as I understand his only real "weakness" is that unless you get him hopping mad he's just a normal person with no powers whatsoever. Though if someone come after him in that form I guess he'll get mad pretty soon so...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: