Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Pulling Levers for a city

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nu B
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

Is there any way to pull levers? I killed the dwarven village elder with a char. i downloaded and i saw a STONE lever under him. I couldn't figure it out and went about my day. I went to the ruins of an ancient city ( or i think thats what it was) in the Western (or northwestern) area in the wilderness. i went in and there was a minortaur (SP!) mazelord there. Killed him and i saw a stairway there and tried to go down but there was an "unmoving STONE block". hmmmmmm.... do these things have any relation to each other and how do you pull levers/switches. If they dont have any relation what is that city for???
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

The lever is for the lower levels - you 'h'andle it, it opens the "stone portal of dwarven origin" that blocks one stair way.
The block in to the Minotaur Maze is PC-level dependant - get to 21 and you can cross it and if you are over 25 (i think it was 25) it closes again, permanently.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/13/2003 at 10:15 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

I haven't noticed it closing. Of course, I never go back to the Maze after beating it.
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

Where, exactly, is this dwarven wall? I've handled the level, but I can never manage to find it. Little help here?

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 02:25 (GMT -5)

The trick is not to handle the level OR ask the elder to pull it. The wall is blocking one of the stairways in deep levels of CoC. Just one of those obstacles like 'wall of flames' or 'eternal guardian'

Pulling the level will remove this obstacle.

Icesus

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 02:26 (GMT -5) by Ass Whisper]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

Not to handle? Um, you or the elder need to handle it in order to pass the stone block. IIRC it looks like a '!' on the map instead of a '&' when it's in the correct position.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 04:27 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

Well i did the portal quest and it was fairly easy. Got the sword and the gauntlets. Now im faced with another problem. After i went down i killed the banshee, no problem (by the way, i think i have heard something about bringing the banshee into the animated forest level and letting her kill off all those trees, oh well.) i went down what i think was a few levels and encountered another problem, some flames were blocking a stairway and i couldnt cross. So i thought, I must need the elemental orb of fire (if thats not right then dont be too hard on me cause its my first time ever getting this far) I go to the tower of eternal flames and fight my way upward and when i make it to the last level there is no way to get to the other side. Why? why would something like this happen to a char. that could be a winner? anyway i thought i could just teleport to the other side, so i waited and waited but it never worked. Ok I'll just look for a hidden door, so i kick every wall and equiped my ring of searching but no luck. I know I'll just use my wand of teleportation! no... of course not. I am a living mana battery. Well this is a truely challenging game. Of course i could just move on and come back later but there's nothing else i can do. I can't seem to find any climbing sets so i cant go get the ring of high kings or go down the rift to the library. So now what? Anyone have any ideas about anything i can do??? i have finally come up with a char. that could be a winner so what do i do?

By the way that was me who wrote that newbie question i just dodnt want to go back with my slow computer and log on.

(:

Have you had an experience like this before?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 15:46 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

Didn't you know that yet? You can't enter ANY elemental temple if you don't have a digging source (spell, wand or pickaxe).
And BTW - you can't teleport on temple levels anyway, so that wand was just wasted.

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 15:51 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

Ohhhhhhh... ok well even though i have a ring of ice all of my pickaxes burned on the way up :(
where do you get that artifact pickaxe? i cant use a wand of digging because of my corruption. (i have to say thats the worst corruption i have ever gotten) Thanks for the quick reply!

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 15:55 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

The artefact is random, no use counting on it, if you aren't a dwarf (all dwarves can get 'Hammerhead' on crowning).
You know, you still can zap the last charge out of those wands (mana battery doesn't stop this).

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7539 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

You know, there is a guaranteed climbing set in the dark cave..

if you think you can whack dozens of gremlins, then go fetch it.

AS Maelstrom said, you can zap the last charge from wands, or you can dig through the walls (have ring of ice and fireproof blanket, they help keeping stuff from burning). Elementals have a special class skill (although I think it was level 50 so..) and monks can kick walls down (after level 13 IIRC).

For your situation, you could try to get a wand up there, or find a fireproof blanket. Or you could go to the library and with luck you might get Mystic Showel from there.

Good luck with your char. My own promising trollish monk perished cos of a bug. Game crashed, and I loaded the autosave it made, and guess what? The game said, you are out of luck, so I knew I was doomed bad. Then, a goblin came and killed me with one hit...did over 100 damage. Damn bugs!

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Oh boy, this post got way long... it's also got some perhaps spoily information on how to survive the ToEF, anyway, Lavos:

Spoiler
About your pickaxes burning. A RoI(it's blessed isn't it?) only protects your worn equipment, not the ones in your backpack. To protect non-worn equipment you need fireproof blankets. I'm not sure if you were clear with this one. Also, you've been in the darkforge. I hope you're not using the crown of science for fire immunity because it makes you doomed which is never, ever a good thing. In fact it's much worse than fire immunity. Doomed also makes all of your stuff burn way faster than normal. Usually when I go to the ToEF I'm blessed(crowned), lucky and fate smiles without cursed/doomed and I don't get one fireproof blanket burned during the entire trip. You can get sufficient fire resistance for ToEF's background heat with a blessed RoFR(fire resistance) and elemental gauntlets(if you've also eaten some fire thingy corpse). Rings don't get burnt under gauntlets and artifact gauntlets don't get burnt. Unfortunately the pyramid is closed for you, as in the pyramid you can find a climbing set and a pickaxe(as well as thieves picks). They're on the far left of the first level, behind some secret doors.

You should be in good standing with your god. You can pray on the top level of the ToEF for a pickaxe. That's good but there's also a downside: when fighting the ACW or other creatures don't rely on your god for healing as he might just decide to give you a pickaxe instead:)

BTW, on some level in the CoC you have already passed the water temple. It should be easy to find as you have only searched half of that level. Also when entering the level you get a message saying something about water constantly dripping on that level(you might just get it the first time, turn on verbose_level_messages=true in the variables to get it again). You might want to get the water orb before going to the ToEF, it gives +10 Wi which makes your wand of digging shoot farther(correct me if I'm wrong, I think it's Wi dependent) and helps avoid confusion.

If this is your first time in the ToEF I think you could need a few pointers on how to have better chances in there. In another thread you said you have a human fighter. I guess you got healing in the beginning instead of herbalism. That's fine but you still might want to gather some spenseweed from somewhere. It'll be cursed but that's no problem, just uncurse it. You need ways of healing because you can't teleport away in the temples, and if you use a 2-hander you will have low DV and will get hit a lot(that also means a lot of corruption...). Also if you're a human fighter it means that you lack alertness, which means you will get hit by the ACW's powerful energy ray. It's been a while but IIRC it easily deals over a hundred damage. So be careful and have some way of healing with you.

Last but not least, there's one way of killing big ugly powerful monsters that's much easier and faster than just bashing them in melee(getting hit a lot and corrupted) or hitting them with bolt spells which they usually bounce off anyway. Slaying ammo. You have probably found some dragon slaying ammo, bless it and shoot the ancient chaos wyrm. It'll die a lot easier. You could also use demon slaying ammo for the fire demons. I think humanoid slaying ammo also works for most demons. If you haven't been training missile weapon skills, well, maybe in your next game you will:)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/17/2003 at 04:39 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6327 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Actually, the pickaxe and other stuff are located far right in the pyramid. J just types by hanging from the ceiling upside down.
And I'd suggest you go for the water temple first, too, as it's alot easier than ToEF.
Oh, and a one more tip: Don't go standing on those altars in the temples. I've lost way too many chars that way. Should've learned my lesson already, but it's too god damn easy to just chase a monster over the altar (especially in the water temple). :)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

J. One mistake - RoI protects ALL you have. Otherwise noone would bother for them.
If you wear one, it is the only thing that can burn down. But if you wear gloves - your rings are safe, and so are your potions, scrolls, herbs, weapons, rocks, usless pieces of glass (the most important equipment :D )
Or should I say - it works that way all the time I play ADOM ;P

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5771 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

RoI protects all you have, but not all the time. The Guidebook says a blessed RoI protects your stuff 92-95% of the time. That's why flammable worn equipment will occasionally burn away even when you have one.

If you have a fireproof blanket, stuff in your pack will be 100% safe until the blanket burns away, and with a blessed RoI, the blanket is very unlikely to burn.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

Well, good news:

Got the Fire Orb, though that stupid chaos wyrm was kind hard. As for the RoI, yes it's blessed. The crown of science though, I couldn't find it, where is it? I was using blessed red dragon-hide gauntlets for the for protection. I had to run after i got the orb because there were too many monsters and i would have certainly died. I got the pickaxe in darkfordge. I have to fight the "Snake from Beyond" to get the water orb right? Sorry if this isnt making sense cause im writing fast. What is in that minotaur maze? I went in it and went to the bottom level but i couldnt find any artifact or anything... I didnt have much time to look either. I forgot to refeul on Cooked Lizards for food and almost died of starvation. Luckily I was very close to my god and was saved. I have been pre-croowned with the crown of leadership. I am lucky and fate smiles upon me. Left off at level 26 when i left ToEF and am doing quite well. I still need some armor though.

Where can i get bridge-building? I did the druids quest instead of the elders and never got Yrrigs. After that i should be ok. I need to go get the Ring of High Kings. Thats how you get by the eternal guardian right?

Do more experienced monsters give you more experience? Like in the small cave. I was almost killed by a jackal pack because i had fought so many.

Wow im writing a lot. Guess i have a lot of questions. You don't have to answer them all if you dont want.

What about the second druid quest that i have heard about? When can i get that. And that dwarven artificer guy, whats up with him. He's obviously chaotic because he TaLkS LiKe ThIs. And i dont want to change my alingment so what do i do with him?

I was lucky to get that eternium two-handed sword so soon or i would have never made it this far.

Too bad i didnt see your post sooner J. I had already gone to the ToEF before i checked back. About darkfordge, i need the ring of High Kings to go down any further right?

So right now i should go get the Orb of Water right? I sure hope its easier than the ToEF.

If i can give one peice of advice to all newbie out there it would be to keep as many scrolls of darkness as you can or learn the darkness spell. I would have never gotten this far without it.

Corruption is getting me like crazy now, Especially after the ancient chaos wyrm, i wonder how many corruptions there are?

One last question before i end this thing. Where do i find vaults? I can probably handle certain ones depending on whats in them.

Thanks again for everyones help in getting me this far. Please dont feel pressured to answer all of these questions, just whatever you want.

Thanks!

--Lavos, The level 26 Human Fighter

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/16/2003 at 18:24 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

Ok, most the stuff you ask for is spoiler stuff, so...

Spoiler

1.- the guardian/bridge building. You mentioned that you have the 'mana battery' corruption, so that makes it harder. You can freeze the water, if you stand next to it, and shoot a frost bolt in it's direction. Wands of Cold do the same thing, so you'll either have to learn Frost Bolt, or wrench the final charge of 3 wands (remember - you must be next to the square you want to freeze, and ice can lift only 2000s of you stuff)
2. Yes, they do give more xps.
3. He gives 2 quests (both are very lawfull... kill the druid and kill the Dwarven elder ;P ). He gives 2 artefacts - both are veeery nice but corrupt as hell. Don't touch 'em. So you can kill him, or leave him alone (that second option is what I prefer)
4. Crown of Science - you know the down stairway in DF? In the middle of the corridor (once filled with golems) there is a fake wall (in a 'former golem place').
5. Corruptions - 18 of them, to R but you'll never have more then Q. The "R" corruption kills you (or rather turns your char into a purple, mindless 'j').
6. Vaults can be everywhere. They are generated randomly - you can finish the game without seeing any, or there could be one on every non-special level.

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/16/2003 at 19:55 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

Well i guess i'll go to the library and try to find a spellbook of frostbolt.

(:
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

About the minotaur maze: you probably weren't at the bottom yet if you didn't find an artifact :) It's not as simple as other dungeons where you just go down until you find the bottom. In the minotaur maze you have to go back up several times before you find the right path. IIRC it's seven levels deep and you'll get a special message when you enter the last level. You might want to go there (esp. if you like 2-handed weapons HINT HINT) soon because othrewise you'll get too experienced to enter.

And about the water temple: it's A LOT easier than the ToEF. No background item destruction and much much easier monsters in fewer numbers.

Oh and sorry if my last post was too spoily I forgot this wasn't the spoilers forum.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/17/2003 at 04:37 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

No, it wasnt that spoily cause i had already gone through the ToEF before i had came back. Bad idea on my part though. was almost killed by that stupid ancient chaos wyrm. Well i guess ill go to the minotaur maze so i dont get too experienced like you said.

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/17/2003 at 17:55 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

Well i think im at the bottom but i dont know. I 've been throught the whol level but haven't found anything. I would leave a screenshot but i dont know how...

(:
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

Yeah!

Well more good news. though this is the third entry in a row i've put in here without anyone writing anything first but this is good news. Got the water orb, EASY! Walked right in, killed a few grues, killed the Snake From Beyond in two hits, and got the orb.

Is there any way to remove these corruptions?!?
Im on 'O' right now and its going up fast. I know there are scrolls of chaos resistance but where do i find them?

What's the next orb i should get? I have fire and water.

Dont worry im not putting a lot of questions this time even though i have them. Thanks again for all of your help, Verdagon, Maelstrom, Warlord,
Crimson King, Ekaterin, And J.

(:
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5771 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

Have you any idea how you got so badly corrupted? Did you melee a lot of corrupting monsters, or hang out for a long time in highly corrupting areas (perhaps reading spellbooks or smithing)? Make sure you're not carrying around any corrupting artifacts like the Black Tome of Alsophocus. Did you eat the Ancient Chaos Wyrm (or any other chaos creature)? That corrupts you quite badly.

Here's some spoily information on how to get rid of corruptions.

Spoiler

One very effective way is that second druid quest you mentioned. Once you're level 30, go talk to the druid in Terinyo. He'll tell you about a good and noble creature in the forest who needs your help. That creature is a white unicorn, and if you help it, it will be able to cleanse all your corruption once.

Another way is potions of cure corruption - bless them before you drink them, and if you have poison hands, wear thick gauntlets. If you give the druid the corpse of an orb guardian, he will give you a blessed !PoCC.

Finally, there are scrolls of chaos resistance, as you mentioned (again, they should be blessed before use). There are five "guaranteed" sources of SoCR, but not all will be available to you.

• If you save Khelavaster's life, he'll give you a nice reward including six blessed SoCR. Sadly, I'm guessing that you allowed him to die.
  • The Dwarven Mystic (who lives inside the secret room in Dwarftown) will sometimes give neutral characters four blessed SoCR.
  • If you spend a long time in the library studying spellbooks, then talk to the Ghost Librarian, he may give you a weird tome to deliver to the Mad Minstrel, who will reward you with five cursed SoCR.
  • The statues in the Bug Temple contain 3 cursed SoCR, but be warned that it's VERY dangerous.
  • Finally, the secret room in the HMV contains one cursed SoCR.

SoCR can also turn up randomly and can be wished for.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

As someone mentioned earlier, you're dead when you reach the 'R'th corruption. So, you're dead when you get three more.

I'll spoil you a bit more with the minotaur maze just to make it sure:

Spoiler
On the bottom level there are 4 minotaur mages surrounding the minotaur emperor who is in the middle. They are in the shape of an X. The minotaur emperor carries the Axe of the Minotaur Emperor, which is very powerful but weighs 1200s. He also leaves other items, like a PoGA or PoCC. BTW, if he steps into a corruption trap he gets healed, so he is pretty chaotic. Maybe you could get a PoCC if you took his corpse(I think it's guaranteed) to the druid in Terinyo?

In your next game I'd suggest using spears with a shield. You'll have much better DV and won't get hit so much by corrupting monsters:) Also use lots and lots of missile weapons, they are very handy.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

Well i saw the mages but never found the emperor.
BTW how do you do that spoiler thing?

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/18/2003 at 16:41 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

[spoiler]Spoily message goes here...[/spoiler]

remember to make the words inside the []s ALL CAPS, or else it wont work.

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

There's the formating help right next to the box where you write your messages :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: