Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Alchemy

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 18 hours, 34 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

As you probably know, I'm one of those odd people who like to post role-play stories on these forums. One of my characters is Fire, an orcish alchemist.

If anyone knows the location the thread that describes the idea for the class "Alchemist", could you post it here?

We estimate that Fire is about level 18 at this point. Since alchemists learn new recipes (say) every three levels or so, and three random ones at level 12, I'd like some suggestions as to the sort of potions an alchemist could learn to make, in addition to the ones which are already in ADOM.

The ones we've already suggested:

• Acid
  • Stunning potion
  • Farsight potion
  • Potion of vigor (temporarily raises HP and PP)
  • "Grenades" (the effect of a fireball, but must be used within 30 min. of mixing)
  • Exploding potion (a weak version of the grenade, which can be used anytime)

If anyone has any ideas, help! Who knows, this could turn into an RFE.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/13/2003 at 18:30 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6466 days, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

How about a "Flaming Elixer"? On a successful "hit" the potion vile breaks and the liquid bursts into flame on the target beastie causing damage like the "Burning Hands" spell. On the opposite extreme, a "Frozen Elixer", same as above but dealing cold damage...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 15:22 (GMT -5)

I'd like to see some sort of Fire that sticks to the monster\thing. Call it Napatha, the Greek Fire. Of course, to mix this, you have to have level 100 of Alchemy Skill and\or have alchemist's gloves.
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6466 days, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 16:40 (GMT -5)

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of in my previous post, just couldn't think of the name Greek Fire at the moment I wrote the note. But you raise a good point. The Alchemist class would probably start with a pair of Alchemist gloves, as one would figure since it IS their specialty after all... And for the potions above I would say a skill of 80 or above in alchemy should be sufficent. Or maybe you could make them at lower skill levels, they just aren't as effective...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/14/2003 at 16:41 (GMT -5) by KillerClawLobster]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

How about a potion that makes you like a ghost, as in able to walk through walls? For a limited time of course, like a potion of invisibility.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/14/2003 at 17:45 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6327 days, 29 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 19:00 (GMT -5)

Potion of water breathing, of course.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 18 hours, 34 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 22:29 (GMT -5)

These are great! Keep 'em coming...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

How bout a potion that makes your spit acid like a drakeling? Or, maybe a potion that gives you a random mindcraft power, but depending lightly on what willpower and level is...

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 04:14 (GMT -5)

A potion that makes you sense your environment(as if you had the antennae corruption).

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6511 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

Nice ideas. Personally, I'd like a spell that is used in DungeonCrawl. It's called Enslavement. (Self-Explanitory). But it should have a high chance of failing, plus you can't use it on Unique monsters.
(This is a VERY long post)
I'd also like a spell called blink. It's basically a short range teleport, but you don't have to have teleport control to choose the location.

Fear "This scroll causes great fear in those who see the one who reads it"
Makes everything around run away, but I think they recover way too fast (about two steps, usually) to be useful. But it can give you some breathing space, which can save your life if you have a few potions that can help you.

I'd also like levitation, for those without swimming, plus for the piranna pool.
Here's a couple of others I'd like.
Deaths Door
This spell is extremely powerful, but carries a degree of risk. It renders living casters nigh invulnerable to harm for a brief period, but can bring them dangerously close to death (how close depends on one's necromantic abilities). The spell can be cancelled at any time by any healing effect, and the caster will receive one warning shortly before the spell expires. Undead cannot use this spell.

Bolt of Inaccuracy
Conjuration Level: 4
This spell inflicts enormous damage upon any creature struck by the bolt of incandescent energy conjured into existence. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to aim and very rarely hits anything. Pity, that.

Cigotuvi's Degeneration
Transmigration/Necromancy Level: 5
This spell mutates one creature into a pulsating mass of flesh.

Dragon Form
Fire/Transmigration Level: 8
This spell temporarily transforms the caster into a great, fire-breathing dragon.
Forescry
Divination Level: 5
This spell makes the caster aware of the immediate future; while not far enough to predict the result of a fight, it does give the caster ample time to get out of the way of a punch (reflexes allowing).
Passwall(Like that potion)
Transmigration/Earth Level: 3
This spell tunes the caster's body such that it can instantly pass through solid rock. This can be dangerous, since it is possible for the spell to expire while the caster is en route, and it also takes time for the caster to attune to the rock, during which time they will be helpless.
Portal
Translocation Level: 8
This spell creates a gate allowing long-distance travel in relatively ordinary environments (i.e., the Dungeon only). The portal lasts long enough for the caster and nearby creatures to enter. Casters are never taken past the level limits of the current area.
Selective Amnesia
Enchantment Level: 3
This spell allows the caster to selectively erase one spell from memory to recapture the magical energy bound up with it. Casters will be able to memorise this spell should even their minds be otherwise full of magic (i.e., already possessing the maximum number of spells).

Sublimation of Blood
Necromancy Level: 2
This spell converts flesh, blood, and other bodily fluids into magical energy. Casters may focus this spell on their own bodies (which can be dangerous but never directly lethal) or can wield freshly butchered flesh in order to draw power into themselves.

Tomb of Doroklohe
Transmigration/Earth Level: 7
This spell entombs the caster within four walls of rock. These walls will destroy most objects in their way, but their growth is obstructed by the presence of any creature. Beware - only the unwise cast this spell without reliable means of escape.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 12:38 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

That's one helluva lot of ideas.

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."
Fire
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 at 22:58 (GMT -5)

Hmmm. I'd like a potion that would temporaily open a kind of seer-like state that would help determine paths to choose from.
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7306 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 at 23:18 (GMT -5)

Jonesy, those sound more like spells than potions, and would be rather unbalancing.

What about a 'potion of resist -foo-' and later a 'potion of -foo- immunity-? Also a higher 'potion of resistance' and 'potion of immunity'?

These would work such that if you drink a potion of resist acid and then a poition of resist fire, fire cancels out acid. Blessed potions last for longer, cursed potions give vunrebility.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/19/2003 at 23:24 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 06:35 (GMT -5)

Yes, That is a list of spells, and I said so at the top(I think).

I'd like a potion that temporaryily decreses PP usage. Also, I'd like some that will temp boost your missle weapons, melee, defense, and accuracy. (Ie, more powerful, more accurate. I got this from a 1993 game, Betrayal At Krondor.)

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Betryal at Krondor was a great game, but those potions increased the skill levels. In ADOM potions like those would increase weapons skills, not the end stats.
Two potions from Betryal we already have: Falmdor's Formula is Potion of Boost Strength.
Those green potions are Potions of (extra) healing.
We still need a Potion of Boost Melee Weapon Skills, Potion of Boost Missile Weapon Skills, Potion of Boost Shield Skills, and potion of Increase Magic Skills (Spell levels maybe?).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 16:53 (GMT -5)

Spell effectivity, i'd think. +50 should do fine. :).
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7306 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 00:18 (GMT -5)

WHat about a relatively high level potion allowing you to "capture" certain monsters monsters in it. For example:

You touch the potion of capture to the specter. The specter dissapears. A strange prescence fills your potion of capture.

More, well, i suppose "coporeal" monsters cannot be captured.

You touch the potion of capture to the kobold. Nothing happens.

If a monster is too powerful for you, there are two possibilities.

1)
You touch the potion of capture to the solar. For a second the solar dissapears, but then it reappears again.

2)
You touch the potion of capture to the solar. The solar dissapears. A strange prescence begins to fill your potion of capture. The potion of capture is too weak to contain the solar. Your potion of capture shatters!

Monsters that can be captured are (in order of power)

Vapor Rats
Ghosts/Wraiths/Specters
Least/Lesser Daemons
Fire/Water/Air Elementals
Fire/Warer/Air Daemons
Will o' the Wisps
Ghost Lords
Greater Fire/Water/Air Elementals
Greater Daemons
Ghost Kings
Solars

If anyone can think of any more, add them.

If you want to know the use of this, once a monster is captured, it can be later released, and it will be so angry at being trapped in there, it will rage and attack anything it sees.

How's THAT for an innovative idea?

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/22/2003 at 00:19 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

Sounds like war dogs. (War dogs were starved until nearly crazy, then they let them out when the enemy attacks, human sandwiches.)

Then there should be an artifact potion of capture that can capture balors, but only once.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 19:34 (GMT -5)

And another artefact potion that can capture greater balors, but only once :P
And another, that can capture, and drain all the power away, from a ChAoS GoD, but this can trap more then one ElDeR ChAoS GoD ;PPP

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 11 hours, 8 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 19:46 (GMT -5)

Why not make it two ElDeRs at the same??

Icesus
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

Ho-ho. :).

(On a very off topic note, there was a thred on the ADOM rec.news thingie. Typeing these names from the Gamma 10 help team will get monster memory messages.
> Got the list
> Thomas Biskup
> Richard Fowler
> Matt Chatterley
> William Tanksley
> Greg Wooledge
> Adam Taylor (aka Blade)
> Stefanie Wolf
> Tom Nowacki
> Adam Rixey
> Laurence Brothers
> Torsten Edelmann
> Chris Koeberle
> David Loewenstern
> Dwight McDowell
> John Michaud (very long)
> Katie Sehorn
>
> All done, I'm in the process of trying them out now.

Also you type your own name, you get to see how well you did. Herm. Maybe Thomas will put in a winner of the Eternium Challenge. (If that ever happens.)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: