Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What Is A Vault?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 7 hours, 27 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

I promise this is the last stupid question i will post. What is a vault? Is it some thing like an area where the dungeon is shapend in some kind of a pattern and there are a bunch of monsters that are alike? Whats the point of them? I've never found any really good items or artifacts. BTW the Thanks ADOMers thread is for everyone please read.

Is This A Vault?

# . ################################
# . # ................................................#
# . # . ######################## . #
# . # . #..................................... # . #
# . # . #####################. # . #
# . # ............................................... # . #
# . ############################ . #
# . ................................................#
####################################

Ive seen one of these!

You know what i mean

(:

[Edited 5 times, last edit on 7/15/2003 at 18:06 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

This is a "lesser" vault - when you entered that level, you got a "you fell exited" message, right?
That's what we call a vault. A pre-defined area (lesser takes 1/4 of a standard screen) that has monsters in it [either one/two kinds, or an all-around over-powered-out-of-depth-stuff-vault (I hate these, they always have some vorticles)].
For greater vaults you will have a "you feel very exited" message - these are tough, but give 1-4 artefacts. Among other treasure.
The most hated are 'karmic' Greater Vault (a big area, half of the standard level, filled with every karmic beingh there is - from lizards, to ancient dragons) and 'undead' (4-8 emperor liches at once kill damn fast).

It's kind of a bigger tension room, exepct you should call it "Exite area" ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Excite area?! I call it "Get out of the way FAST before you get turned into a dwarven-druid-kebab" area!

Okay. Sorry. So I just had my next-to-last July 2 character killed in a lesser vault filled with random bad guys... so I wanna vent a little.

Grmph.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 7 hours, 27 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

I had a frost giant vault, but that doesnt count as a greater vault does it?

(:
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Propably not- I had a 'lesser' vault of red dragons (I mean FROM red dragons. Ancient red dragons and 5 or 6 greater wyrms were also present... but it was a normal "exite" area, ton the 'very exited' one) - If you found any artefacts or large heaps of gold (I'm talking about 7000 here) in 4 symetric places, then it's a "greater". But I've never heard about a frost giand greater vault - it's mostly giants (all giant types, from hill giants to frost giant jarls and fire giant <intert the name here, I forgot> ).
Jugde by the size - if you play standard 640x480, than a 'lesser' takes about a quarter of the level, and 'greater' takes half (or very near half) of it.
Also greater don't have just one type of monster, but the whole species (frost giants - no, all giants - yes. Also red dragons - no, but fire creatures, from lizards and giants to greater wyrms and elementals, - yes).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

I HATE lesser great red thingy vaults. The ones with red/ancient dragons, wyrms and stuff. One of my best chars got 291'd in one of those:((troll barb lvl ~40 in CoC 46, he WAS going to win) He had already beaten a similar thing of black stuff a couple of levels earlier :) Those wyrms give good exp:)

Now, about lesser vaults. On low levels they don't usually contain anything particularly good. Just a lot of stuff. You can sell it for good price, lots of monsters also means lots of exp and weapon marks. So they're a good thing. Also one of my favourite things to do with early lesser vaults with orcs/gnolls is to lure every one of them around until they throw an orcish knife/spear or in the case of gnolls a battle axe at you. Usually you get a good pre/suffix or two out of them. One char of mine that went through the SMC and UD got two orc vaults. After that he had an eternium two-hander(from the SMC), two orcish spears of devastation and an orcish spear of penetration. Oh, and if you were wondering, yes, he was a beastfighter.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: