Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Old Time Arcades

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6466 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Time for an off-the-wall query: Which of the following was the best of the classic arcade games: PacMan, Asteroids, or Space Invaders?
I know I spent multiple hours and quarters playing all of them, but Asteroids will always be dear to my heart, since it was the first I played.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1661 days, 4 hours, 24 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

Space invaders. The only space game (aside from Galaga) that I like.

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 9 hours, 29 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Never liked any of them. I'm too young for things like that. Things that were c001 and 1337 in my youth were Wolfenstein and Doom. Along with C64 and Amiga 500(occasionally I got civilization working... only on 4 disks or sth :P)

Long story short: boo, arcade games suck ass :D

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

I've spent countless hours playing Asteroids and Space invater like games (don't know if I've played the actual originals much though). Galaga Deluxe rocks, still play it on my Amiga emu sometimes. You should try Warblade too (PC "port" of Galaga (more or a re-make I suppose) by the creator of Galaga, still very much a beta last I checked, but still fun).

I've also wasted entire days playing Civilization on the Amiga 500 (not counting the ages it took to generate a new world :P).

Other old time favourties include (in no particular order): Double Bouble, Dig Dug, Boulder Dash, Bomber Man, Great Giana Sisters, Rampage, Rainbow Island, Cabal, Utopia, K240, Nuclear War (great little game), Cannonfooder, IK+, Moonstone, Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters (think it won an award for longest game name ever :P), Turican 2, Wings, Maniac Mantion, Zack McCraken(sp?), Monkey Island, Megalomania, Dune, Dune 2 and Populus 2 (probably forgot a few but oh well :P).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

Asteroids.

It's possible to leave the last asteroid and shoot those little UFOs repeatedly, thus getting the top score (if you have several hours to blow).

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Hey Jan Erik, u have almost identical retro-favourite-game-list that I have!

C64: Bubble Bobble, Bruce Lee (excellent!), Operation Wolf, Cabal, Skate or Die, Maniac Mansion, Zak McCraken, Friday the 13th, Zorro, Ultima IV (brilliant!), IK&IK+, Bionic Commando, Rampage, Boulder Dash I-X+CKIT, Street Hassle, Ikari Warriors, 1942, etc, etc...

Amiga: Civ, Colon(workbench version!), Railroad Tycoon, Populous, Mega-lo-mania, Mortal Kombat I&II, Dune II, Syndicate, Monkey Isles, Moonstone, Powermonger, North&South, Speedball, Turrican I&II&III (was it III w/ the Giger/Aliens theme??), Chaos Engine, Xenon II, Double Dragon I&II, etc, etc, etc...

PC games have gone downhill for so many years IMHO. Thank god there are games like ADOM that can keep u rollin' from year to year.. I just played two days playing Vice City and lost interest to it, after all the cool things had been experienced. Todays games just donät have that 'special thing' that made u wait for that world generation in Civ w/ 7.14MHz A500 or the loading epileptic-screens w/ C64 in Bruce Lee. Maybe it's just me...

Icesus
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

Dang, how could I forget about Powermonger, played that game so much I would dream about it for weeks :P Played Speedball too a fair bit, not to mention Syndicate and a few others...

I played Op-Wolf quite a bit too, but mostly the Arcade version. Came across a machine that gave you 4 credits for a 5er (must have been a bug), and ended up playing it untill I would complete it more or less flawlesly 4 times over without paying to much attention :D Haven't played it to much since :P

I also became very adapt at completing that chopper game, what was it called again... You had alternating top and rear vew every second satage and usualy batteled a battleship or zepelin or someting at the end. Final level had a bunch of pipes crossing the screen high and low making it quite a rollercoaster ride...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

I cannot remember the name. I played a game with what I believe is the original BFG. I thought it was called "Heavy Metal" but my google search did not turn up the correct game.

A top down sprites game. Up to two players could play. You start out with a measly gun, but could power up with a flame thrower or long distance gun by opening containers with keys. You could also throw regular and super grenades.

The goal, however, was to get all the pieces to the super gun. When a player got the final peice, the game would say "Heavy Metal" or some such, and a timer bar would start. This gun would wipe out anything on the screen in the direction you fired.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 20:48 (GMT -5)

Ah, bubble bobble. I remember that one. I would have to say PacMan is my favorite out of the three of them.

(:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: