Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Games you loved as a youngster

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

I remember playing the wing commander games I&II at our sommar cottage with my cousin when I was small(he always brought his amiga there). They were great and some of my favourites:). Too bad I can't get any old wing commander games to work on my new computer, mainly WC I&II and privateer I&II:( Also some great sommar cottage games were the sensible soccer series and cannon fodder. Those are the games I remember I really liked to play:) Why go swimming or play outside at +25C when you can stay inside playing the computer(when you're age 7-10).

At home I remember playing all sorts of weird games on C-64 which I had no idea what they were about(I must've had a couple of hundred games on floppys), I was too young to understand how to really play them well but they were a lot of fun. Gauntlet, ghosts&goblins, some olympic game with things like cliff diving and jumping over barrels on skates as events. Also some weird sports game that was kind of medeval, with tug-of-war, beer drinking contests and the like. North&south, ooh baby, taking something like 15 minutes to load with the tape thingy :P

Then one favorite on the amiga 500 was Dune II. I was something like 8-9 and during spring holiday my friend was over and we played it up till 6 in the morning. Not often stayed up that late at that age:)

Oh yeah, I've been spending too much time with these bloody things from real young. Kind of explains things a bit I think :P

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

I know some sites you can get C64 games (commodore)(need an emu.) c64.com, angelfire.com/on3/jap.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

I'd never do that. It's illegal you know. ;)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

When I was young I played games like Alley Cat and Golden Axe.
Then came Entomorph, the first RPG I played. After that, there was Warcraft II, Warlords 2 (Delux version)...
Never had any computer outside PCs, the first one was an AT 286, and my parents upgraded all the way to the current one (Athlon XP 1700@2900 )

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7200 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

my aunt used to have one of those c64. hey! i know quite a few people here use kazaa (my aunt does that to i used to have napster so... hey i did pay for it! with the most valuable thing of all MY TIME. anyway i think games like that are probably abandonware (legally relased by company) well should anyway.

The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6295 days, 14 hours, 19 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

Wldn't do that? Most of the folks I know would grab the site and run down the street. I think most of those games are legal (most), companies released them (coining the name abandon- ware). Now there is nothing I can say about the roms, emu.s.

The first game I ever played on a computer was at school and the name was amazon trail (on some old apple at school in the 3rd grade (first year they ever had computers at that school in OK). First game ever at home was Oregon Trail (same year, dad bought the infamous 386) and animal quest by alivesoft. Later I played Starfire (great game), Tomb Raider (my sis ex's playstation (4th) , Starwars, Crash Bandicoot, and some street fighters game I loved. Recently I tried Warcraft, II, III, Daggerfall (good!), Enter the Matrix (good!)Hospital on my friend's computer (kazaa powered).

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5615 days, 21 hours, 11 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

When I was young I didn't have any of the "common" home computers (C64, Spectrum etc.). Instead, I had a... Sharp MZ800 (shocked gasps all around). As can be expected it had precious little games available though two of them were far above the rest. A puzzle game called Flappy and a shoot-em-up called Zexas offered some fun time.

When I grew a little older and got an Amiga I particularly liked Pacmania and Turrican. There were others, of course, but these are the ones I remember best.

ATM I don't play much. Mostly I play ADOM when I have time but during Midsummer I had a lot of fun playing GT3.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

I can't remember which Turrican I played, most likely the 2nd and it was very good! Also a game that was really awesome that somebody mentioned in another thread was Moonstone. Kind of creepy and great fun. Another old game I can't get to work with this new computer. Damn, damn, damn!

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5615 days, 21 hours, 11 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

I played mostly Turrican 1 and actually completed it several times (without cheating). Also completed Pacmania a couple of times. There were other games as well, can't remember the names, though. IIRC I also completed Wizball and Bubble Bobble playing a two player game with my little brother.

Moonstone, eh ? I remember it, great fun that one... It was nice when I (or possibly a friend, can't quite remember) found an easy way of killing that huge dragon. Those mudmen were nasty...

Some lesser-known games I also enjoyed were Apidya (completed it once, that's one tough cookie) and Gem'X. What a pity Kaiko went under, I was really looking forward to Gem'Z...
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

My first computer game was Pacman, played on my cousins' computer with a monochrome screen... soon I graduated to Frogger, then a version of Uno on my grandparents' computer, in all its four-color glory...

I finally got my own computer at age 11, and enjoyed games like Digger, Asteroids, and many text adventure games. I learned to write programs in BASIC and wrote my own text adventure... it wasn't nearly tricky enough, though, because my sister solved it in two hours.

Ah, the good old days...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/21/2003 at 17:59 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6295 days, 14 hours, 19 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 01:24 (GMT -5)

I wrote a pacman like game on basic using rabbits as the ghosts, can't find a old copy of basic though.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 8 hours, 36 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

I squandered my youth and young adulthood on Ultimas I, ][, III, IV and V.

I also was taken by the original Castle Wolfenstein (not the Doom like 1st person shooter)

Aside from that, there was Congo, Talon and Swashbuckler.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 22:55 (GMT -5)

Wolfenstein?... Man, i didn't even realize other people remembered that...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

i guess im a little young but i remember street fighter coming out. Everyone ran to the arcade to go play it... ah, the good ol' days.

(:
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 20:42 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah, Pac man too.

(:
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 01:37 (GMT -5)

Ddune 2. I played a few games, many I can't remember. But dune 2 got me hooked.

Betrayal at Krondor & Chaos overlords are both great old games I loved to death. Along with transport tycoon. And a couple others that don't spring to mind right now.

Didn't get a computer untill I was about 13.

I've always loved strategy games, particulary good turn based ones. And good rpgs are just fantastic (they can be very strategic!). Imagine ADOM as a RPG and not a roguelike... much of the basics could remain the same.

Dune 2! The original and the best, I never finished it with Ordos though, god they sucked.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7438 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

Ordos, heh? *grins evilly*

Wasn't it just fun to convert those nasty Harkonnen Devastators and make 'em self-destruct?

Icesus
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

I liked the Harkonnen mentor. How he described trikes and such: "this is a pitiful little machine". :)

Was it just me who felt that when you played as atreides your own ornithopters really sucked ass and got destroyed immediately, but other players' ornithopters always managed to destroy your important buildings despite 20 rocket turrets surrounding them? :)

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7438 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Ya, the 'topters were VERY dependent on luck, which was bad.. And that bald mentor I'll never forget (wasn't he's name in the paper manual Marko IIRC, and that was my friend's name also ;)

Also own units shootin' own building was were annoying.. But the game quite efficient anti-rush system: the user-interface.. 'twas SOOO slow to get all those tanks get movin' towards the enemy base.. .. .

Icesus
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 22:23 (GMT -5)

I never used 'thopters. I do remember making use of the sonic tank speed bug though (on game speed 8 they had greater range than turrets, I think).

That first mission where you see enemy thopters killed me, took me ages to realise how to fight back against them, I kept trying to click on them.

I read the book because of that game, and I still think it's the best SF/Fantasy book i've ever read. I was 12 at the time and I've read it at least 10 times since then.

LOTR sucks. Took me months to finish it, so boring.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

I remember a fun game of DII I played with my cousin. Might have been one of the last ones, where you fight two houses. Spice was all out but the enemy was pretty crippled so we won the game by waiting for fremen to come from the palace. Took several hours so it might have been faster just to start a new game, but it was practically over so...

I think I should try the book, might be fun because I'm a fan of the game.

Also, LOTR is a bit too heavy for me. I don't read that much and when I do, I just don't like to pick up a book with a thousand big pages full of very small text. It would be easier to read if I had the three books as separate, now I usually opt for some crime novels my mom always reads.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/5/2003 at 05:23 (GMT -5) by J.]
RhinChin
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 23:10 (GMT -5)

I like Dune 2.
i was like 5 but i was pretty good at it but now its a pretty crud game now and a finnaly clock it last week.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: