Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Another Dumb Death Thread...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6193 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Lol plenty of these, but what the hey.

Died within sight of the Rune-Covered Sling. :) Ouch!

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6506 days and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 18:59 (GMT -5)

Heh... Not as bad as dieing from greater Molochs on level 47, just after being crowned and before I went down.

I strained myself kicking and died on the Ice level (forgot which one). Quite old, though.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7419 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

Just had one of the most frustrating deaths ever...
Human archer, level 21, ended up fighting a tension room of ghosts, and aged much. 97 years old, but still alive! I was pretty much "Whew, that was close.", but I had no potions to help my situation. So, I started moving (I knew about a potion shop a few levels up in the CoC), but after going up a level, I died of old age! For a long while I just stared at the screen in disbelief.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Jenda
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

To ArcticWolf and others: that must have been horrible:-(
I ve been playing the game for about 1/2 a year... my best char was level 19:-)
Because of my English I am not sure if I understood the first message - does that mean that he was near the artefact and saw it but he didnt get to it?
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7419 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

Jenda: Yeah, he died close to the artifact.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

Not a stupid death, but very frustrating:
There was a thread I started about a year ago (Yay, you feel lucky, on the page 8 in the ADOM section). I got two surges of power in the same level of CoC(bracers of war and skullcrusher). The character also was very promising (hurtling archer, crowned with rune covered sling). So the game went alright until I got to save Khelavaster and went to the graveyard. IIRC I didn't have any protection from confusion equiptment, so the liches confused me and vampires did the rest.

Those deaths are the ones that makes you really frustrated and you have to keep a little break from ADOM after losing a char like that.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 14:39 (GMT -5)

You can always check out my entry on the adom hall of fame under untimely deaths... the character named "Pie". :) Lol ya won't believe what happened to him...

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

http://adom.brinkster.net/hof/flg_disp.asp?display=graff2.txt

That was the char I started on TB's birthday.
I knew mana temple would be too tough for me, but I still decided to go for it. I would've survived it, but I didn't notice the poison hands corruption and I drank a couple potions of poison instead of healing. I also forgot to take berserk off, which most likely was the worst mistake I did there. I also don't have a clue why I used the rune-covered trident when I had shields on mastery.
That would've surely won if I just didn't blew it in there.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/22/2003 at 18:40 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

7058 days, 11 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 01:42 (GMT -5)

I use to die alot from traps. Very frustrating when you start a new character and you fall into a pit on the second level of some cave. I didn't even get a chance to get started. :(
Jenda
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 02:06 (GMT -5)

Yeah, those traps are sometimes very annoying. I dislike the pits with vipers and the stone blocks falling from the ceiling... But it belongs to the game.
On Sunday I died with a char who was VERY non-promising... these deaths are often rather delivering. I had poor weapons, few scrolls and so on. And - imagine that I was level 15 and had max HP less then 100. It was not a big fun to collect exps awaiting another corruptions...
Had to take a break from Adom...
...until next day:-)
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

Argh, why no one told me that the great karmic wyrm dodges death ray in 1.0.1? I think you can guess what happened to my lvl 30 gnomish beastfighter an hour ago.

KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6460 days, 9 hours, 18 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

On the trap subject, I really dislike acid traps and exploding doors. One time I ID'd my stuff and noticed I had a sword of sharpness (I was only Lvl 5), took one step, opened a door and got hit by an exploding door. You can guess what the only thing destroyed was...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

Speaking of traps, did you know you should check or kick doors from a diagonal direction? :) That way if the door falls over or if a stone block falls from the cieling, it will land in the space in front of the door instead of on yer head. ;) Yust in yase ya yidn't know. :)

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

568 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

Yep, it's standard door safety in ADOM ;).

Up until a while ago, the diagonal keys on my number pad wouldn't work though, so I died a lot from falling door traps...

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Orc ManV2
Registered user
Don't Listen to me!

Last page view:

7567 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 01:24 (GMT -5)

One of my necros just died, today ran into a karmic wrym in DH, pulled off one acid ball and got blasted from 300 health to -142.

Current Death's: 146 (Recording started on July 17, 2003)

Current Wins: 0
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

Just got my head smashed by a stone block trap after taking one step in the SMC (I think that's what it was, I can't remember those abbreviations, it was the one leading down to the Fortified Village anyway).
I survived about 20 turns. Was a promising character, too. An orcish mindcrafter. Ah well.

So I was just walking, and suddenly the walk keys don't work anymore. I look at the text bar and see the 'You die...'. It was then that I noticed the trap. :P

The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/2/2003 at 09:18 (GMT -5) by Arancaytar]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 11:34 (GMT -5)

You played for 20 turns and decided that he was promising?:P Okay...

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

Yeah, well, his starsign, starting weapon, and attributes, you know. It wasn't exactly "Wow, this char is going to win the game in 2 days", more a feeling that it would have some chance of surviving the early game easily.

When, for example, I get a Trollish Wizard (cool combo btw, the wizard intelligence + troll strength) with a cursed dagger instead of a quarterstaff (happens sometimes), a cursed ring, two potions of poison, a spellbook of Light and two spellbooks of Darkness, I quit. Like that. That would *not* be a promising char. ;)

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

Trollish wizards used to be even better when it was somewhat safer to cast from your hp. It trained mana... Now it abuses mana. Oh well... :(

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
WhiteKnight
Registered user

Last page view:

7280 days, 17 hours, 38 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

Stepped onto a chaotic altar at the same time as a goblin rockthrower came into sight. :(
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1655 days, 1 hour, 6 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

I lose more characters to boredom and forgetting what I was doing with them and deleting them.

Foxfire
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

Electrocuted by a charged robe.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6991 days, 3 hours, 47 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

ooo yeah i loose many a character to boredom but in a different way. when you get a huge room full of relatively puny monsters or maybe worms and you sit there for 5 minutes pressing the direction key diligently watching each message, healing each hp lost then you get bored and hold down the button for 10 seconds and the b'stard hobgoblin gets 4 critical hits on you in a row and you die. werejackals and jackels are worse i think 'cause you still get loads in a room (with more summoned) and they're always more experienced than you realise.

those deaths, falling blocks, those random surprise killer monster that appear round corners and kill you with one blow and being paralized to death. all too common
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7096 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

Yeah, ive done that one before. I still have to say, being petrified by eating a Gorgon corpse is pretty bad. I was level 20.

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/27/2003 at 21:28 (GMT -5) by Lavos]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: