Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Advice for a farmer

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

7058 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

I've decided to try playing a dwarven farmer. Man, it's hard! This class is strong and tough but, when you think about it, he's just 'some guy' that's done manual labor all his life. I think the only advantage he has is he trains quickly with pole arms. To that end, I've acquired the rune covered trident (Raven) and use that exclusively. Is there anything else I should know about him? Any helpful advice? I'm training toward grand mastery right now but was looking for tips.

PS My friend suggested the game should generate the message 'You grow a mighty beard of power!' when you achieve grand mastery in any weapon. What do you guys think? :)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 2 hours, 58 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

For dwarves, that would be cool. Trolls might grow big tusks. Hurthlings could grow more hair to their feet and elves could grow bigger ears.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Klavert5
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

I like gnome and drakeling farmers :)

Drakeling spit acid in case of emergency and the gnome can read.
and levels fast.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/23/2003 at 07:08 (GMT -5) by its author]
JS.
Registered user

Last page view:

6812 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

I just started with gnomish farmed, who had 6 talents in the beginning. Found AoLS in the puppy cave, has lvl 10 with spears and lvl 7 with shields, only most powerful monsters can touch him. And stone spear of hunting is not bad wiht Food Preservation 100.
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

I actually LIKE pole arms with this guy. :) Usually I stay away because I can't wield shields but the farmer is worth it. He can also carry alot which is good for a packrat like me.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7437 days, 9 hours, 22 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

Needless to say, Orc farmers are tops. They have tons of skills at the start. Wield an orcish spear and TA-DAA! We have a winner...

BTW, who said farmers are hard to play? I won my first and only ultra ending w/ a orc farmer..

Icesus
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

I just meant it was hard because farmers didn't seem to have any type of combat advantages (besides polearms). Am I missing something with my farmer?
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6520 days, 4 hours, 12 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 03:06 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, i've got to try the Orcish farmer then.
Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 04:33 (GMT -5)

Farmers are tough to get started because they have no armour and no missile weapons, spells or wands either. Even so, their class powers are pretty useful. The ability to carry twice as much as everyone else removes a lot of the early game trouble with being constantly strained until you find a girdle of carrying. I like the "pick the best herbs" power too, because it makes it much less tedious to scum stomafillia for sacrificing.

I'm playing a level 50 human farmer right now, but she's had most of her SoCR destroyed so she'll probably turn into a WMoPC. I'll post for help with her in another thread.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Cletus: Spears count as polearms and you can wield a shield with them. A spear+shield combo provides the most DV in the game and is at least my favourite. When you see hill orcs/ish scorchers run away from them and they'll throw a spear at you. Sometimes they'll have a good pre/suffix...

Farmers could also be good for newbies. They don't starve easily.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 04:34 (GMT -5)

Well, I've found one great advantage for farmers. They can carry massive amounts of stuff! I decided to go down the ID for a SoCR. Kinda screwed myself with that idea but that's another story...

Anyways, I started picking up everything I saw for selling later. I check with :b and my limit is 18,563 s just to reach burdened. :) I ended up lugging around 3 eternium plate mails for no other reason then because I could. I love farmers.

BTW, I got me the rune-covered trident and have been wielding it ever since. I'm real close to grand mastery. Now I'm trying to decide where to go next. Maybe I'll dive down to earth temple then back up to drop off his corpse with the druid.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

What's your strength, race, and level on that character, Cletus?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6506 days, 20 hours, 47 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 10:30 (GMT -5)

I found something I liked today. When I was playing IVAN (Latin for ....something which I can't remember right now)and you stayed in the Burdened Status for a while (200 turns), your leg strength would go up. It would be nice if ADOM had that feature.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Well, your strength is trained by being burdened, so you can't complain too much.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

Hmm, that IVAN thing was mentioned in a magazine I got today. Maybe I should check it out.

Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7568 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

What are all of farmer's class abilities? I know the burden thing, but have never actually tried to find out the rest.

My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Read the f'n manual.

Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 21:37 (GMT -5)

I just finished with my dwarven farmer a few days ago. His final strength was 73. I used the trick with ogres and =of weakness. I couldn't have survived in the wilderness for that long if not for the farmer's special skills. That was a fun game. :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: