Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Help for a total Noob

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
FDS
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

ello all, Im like a total noob to this game, I dont even kno what all the things at the bottem of the screen mean yet, Iv read through most of the manual & I know most of the keys i think, but i cant get a good start at least i dont think so i already have like 30 names on the High Score list & iv only had this hame for like 13 hours now so far iv taken a Drakish Wizard, Druid, & Ranger to lvl8 & then I die of something stupid like being eaten, Any way I was wondering is any one can give me some tips, iv already read back a few pages on this forum but i dont kno what most of it means sorry im a moron
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5771 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

Have you had a look at the ADOM FAQ? That has some useful information without too many spoilers. If you want to be thoroughly spoiled, look at the ADOM Guidebook.

Drakish Wizard is a good combination, but don't forget to study your spellbooks somewhere safe like Terinyo before setting out on your adventure. Read each spellbook once or twice at the beginning, then keep them until you've trained up your Concentration and Literacy skills before reading them again. That way you'll get more castings out of them.

You might also want to try a Trollish Healer - a big dumb combat wombat whose wounds regenerate incredibly fast.

Where do you normally die? What do you mean by "being eaten" - which monsters are killing you? It is possible to be eaten by a slavering grue, but that is a very obscure death.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

Some general pointers: don't eat kobolds of any type, zombies, ghuls, raibd dogs, bees. Those corpses disease/poison you and that's a bad thing. Also when you encounter a karmic being, that is any monster that changes colour, don't attack them in melee, they can curse or doom you which is a bad thing. Learn to use herbalism, it's one of the most useful skills as you get healing, poison/sickness curing and stat increasing herbs (as well as ingredients for possible alchemy recipies but that's a bit later in the game). Very useful. Last but not least, try to get the habit of training missile weapon skills whatever race/class you're playing. Missile weapons are pretty powerful in ADOM and it's always much more safe to kill/weaken monsters at a distance than at hand-to-hand range. If you're a wizard you could also kill things from far with your spells but be careful as in the early game you could just end up running out of castings. It's a very stupid being when you're facing a revenant at level 8 when you've used up all your firebolt castings on goblins and bats.

Wizards are arguably the most powerful classes in the game, although the early game can be a bit tough. If you're having trouble staying alive you might want to try a priest(maybe a high elf?). They're a bit more buff and get better starting equipment along with the handy detect item status skill. A pretty good class I think.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

7575 days, 4 hours, 52 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

I downloaded the guide book & check the faqs when I have a question & use the manual to. I dont know where I was when I was eaten it was some cave it was dark & it said there was something moving by my head so I moved up & I was eaten. as for being a troll id rather play as something smarter then me. I ate a few kobolds already sometimes they make me sick (and how do you get rid of sickness btw, other then waiting it out?) but one of them uped my power points I think it was the light blue one I dont member what one that is. Is there like a shop where I can go & buy a long bow & a quiver of arrows or something? cuz all iv found so far were short bows & random arrows & it sux when you have to reload every 3 shots

Please sign on the dotted Line:
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5771 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 12:02 (GMT -5)

To cure sickness: as J. says, learn about herbs. Eating a curaria mancox herb will cure sickness. If you don't have any, a potion of healing will often but not always work. Jharod the healer can cure sickness (have you met him yet?).

The light blue kobold that boosted your mana was a kobold shaman. They are good to eat if you have some means of curing sickness. Other kobolds just make you sick, with no compensating good effect.

Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7306 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

You were doomed. If you are doomed, you can be eaten by a grue ever time you take a step in the darkeness. (1/10000 chance i think)

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 22:57 (GMT -5)

oh well dont I feel lucky, outta 10k I hit that single one. Now if only I was that good with lotto tickets id be set

FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 23:54 (GMT -5)

is there like a list of all the quests in the game & how to get them somewhere?

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

Re: Kobolds

Eating a kobold (if you have the appropriate herb) is a good, if slightly dangerous, way to train Healing, since you're sick for quite a while, and every time your hit points get above half your max, you get another fever attack. If you've got enough time, you can even wait it out in the wilderness, using (and training) the survival skill to keep from starving.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

Sickness also lowers your toughness 5 points so you can raise your toughness to 30 with morgia roots that way... Everything in ADOM has a use :)

Oh and I think the chance to get eaten by a grue is 1/1000 every step you take in the dark. If you're doomed that is. But if you get messages about something swinging past your head in the dark that's just some monster attacking you.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

One main advice for a new player: Explore yerself ANYTHING u can imagine. Try EVERYTHING that could be even remotely possible. One sure way to spoil yer ADOM experience is to read every trick in the game from a guidebook or spoiler forums..

I started playing ADOM way before even knew there were 'guidebooks' or 'forums' and figured out the game much from nothing.. 'twas helluva fun and probably that is the reason the game feels still so good, even after many years of playing..

Waiting for a new version of the game and it's new features is nowadays the most exciting.. nothing much to explore anymore.. sad..

Icesus
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

Hm. The guidebook didn't spoil my ADOM experience. Unlike most games, ADOM has so much variety that playing it repeatedly doesn't get boring (or, if it does, doesn't stay boring). Even once I'd read the guidebook, ADOM was still a challenge--especially since I never restore a dead character from a save file unless I'm testing something or the game crashed.

ADOM isn't the sort of game where knowing all the rules will automatically grant you a victory. It's kind of like knowing how all the pieces move in chess, how to set them up to trap your opponent--and still enjoying chess.

The strategy is always there, and the game is always unpredictable; the RNG is always one step ahead of you. It doesn't get boring just because I know the rules; it gets more exciting because now there's strategy in planning ahead--everything from training Raven-born characters in polearms to preparing for bad pool effects in my quest to save an ancient sage I may never have seen before and whose reward will only become useful much later.

Depending on what sort of an ADOM player you are, you mightn't agree with me. But there's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

574 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

The manual doesn't spoil anything IMHO, without it you can't survive for more than the first 15 turns. It just lists a few key commands, and you have to test strategies yourself (I'm currently trying bards, because I've heard somewhere that they get cool boots with the heir talent).

But then, my philosophy on what is cheating is extremely different, since I don't regard backing up save files as such for example. :P

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/31/2003 at 16:23 (GMT -5) by Arancaytar]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

Backing up save files isn't cheating; but you can't call ADOM a roguelike if you do.

Claiming you've won without backing up, when you have... now that would be cheating.

BTW, better make a distinction between "guidebook" and "manual" before things get more confusing: The guidebook is the spoily document, and the manual is the non-spoily document that comes with the game.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/31/2003 at 20:10 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 20:15 (GMT -5)

Well, the guidebook explains all the quests, doesn't it? That's definitely a spoiler, and you can definitely play the game with nothing but the manual.

However, there are some things I never found out without spoilers. For example I never knew how to save Khelavaster. ;)

The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
NuB
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 20:59 (GMT -5)

I still don't know :(
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7442 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 21:15 (GMT -5)

Thx Iridia for backing me up.. For all those newbie out there, one advice before others:

Read The F*cking Manual!

Icesus
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7102 days, 14 hours, 53 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

Now calm down Ass Whisper.

j/k

(:
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 17:07 (GMT -5)

theres a part that tells me who to get the quests from but sometimes & cant get them & I wanted to know if theres like something I have to do first or if I cant get it cuz i did another quest like if I do Guth'Alak's quest I cant do Rynt's

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

Rynt's and Guth'Alak's quests are the only - afaik - quests which exclude each other, so you can only do one.

The other two quests which are exclusive are, of course, the Hotzenplotz/Tywat Pare conflict, where you can only murder one of 'em. ;)

FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

is there any way to destory bridges?

Arancaytar.
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

Don't think so, but why would you want to do that? :P It's usually enough of a bother trying to build the darn thing...
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

what is being Blessed & the Bless spell good for?

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7539 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

IIRC the Bless spell increases your chance to hit in combat. You get the message blessed when it is on. Champions get permament blessing, unless they become fallen champions.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

do plant seeds ever grow?

Deen
Registered user

Last page view:

7571 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

with a high Gardening skill they should.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Herb seeds grow... regular seeds don't.

Re: Destroying bridges

Though it can't be done, it would actually be quite desirable to destroy a bridge in quite a few instances; if you've ever played a spellcaster with frost bolt (necromancers start with a book of it), you know that ice bridges come in handy when you want to cross a river--but that's not all it's good for.

For example, if you've got a cat chasing you, and you don't want to kill it, you can cross your ice bridge, get one space betwen you and it, then cast Fireball (provided your willpower is low enough) or fire bolt at an angle. The cat will be trapped on the ice--same effect as closing a door, except monsters (well, dragons, but that's unlikely) can't free your trapped cat. You can even isolate the patch of ice the cat is on, completely trapping it.

That strategy also works for keeping things with strong, corrupting, or poisonous melee attacks away from you so you can snipe at them with missiles or spells. With things you aren't worried about hurting (i.e., non-cats), you can even send the fire bolt straight across them. Free experience from the Old Barbarian, anyone?

Edit: Yeah, spoily info here...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/3/2003 at 11:55 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 18:45 (GMT -5)

can any one tell me what a scourge is if found like 12 of them & i have no idea what weapon it is

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/3/2003 at 18:45 (GMT -5) by FDS]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 13 hours, 23 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

Scourage is a type of whip - you know, the kida short leather thingy, that sadistic women in black leather use to beat up masochistic men? That's a scourage :D

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
FDS
Registered user
FireDrake of Ice

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

heh tys, but now can any one tell me where the quickling tre is i have the crouptions i need & iv been on every forest tile in the chain & i still cant find it im dirving myself crazy
is there a lvl minimum or something?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/3/2003 at 19:59 (GMT -5) by FDS]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?