Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Hello (and dual wielding)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Deen
Registered user

Last page view:

7571 days, 7 hours, 3 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Hello,

I started playing ADOM about 8 months ago, used to savescum because I didnt know anything, then didnt play for a few months, and now I am back to ADOM, playing with one life and enjoying it.

My best char was a dwarven assasin who got to lvl 21, but was killed by a titan (after I killed 5 of them).

I got a lvl 16 dwarven necromancer right now :)

Anyway, I have a question.

What are the advantages of wielding 2 wearpons as opposed to 1 wearpon +shield?

From what I can see, the disadvantages are

-loosing about 20DV and 4PV points
-getting a penalty to To-Hit (I know that a high two wearpon combat skill fixes this; does a score of 100 give any bonuses or just negates the to-hit penalty?)

Are there also damage modifiers depending on the weight of wearpons?

Thanks

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

574 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

You get to attack two times each round, so you get in two hits, both of which have a slightly lower to-hit chance. It balances out, and with a high 2 weapons skill it's great.

I don't think 2 weapons skill actually can be improved to a point where you're better with two weapons than with one, it's almost like being able to do integrals, but not multiplication, in Maths. It's by definition easier to wield one weapon than two. However, Thomas Biskup has never been famed for his logic (and his knowledge of chemistry, which you notice when you dabble around in alchemy...), so I don't know.

And the weight of the weapons is, as far as I know, not taken into account. Would be a good idea for an RFE (a suggestion for improvement) in the bug report database at www.adom.de

If you're very good with 2 weapons, and have both weapons at a high skill (wielding twin weapons is also good because you only train one skill double as fast, and I heard it gives you a bonus), then the two attacks are an unimaginable advantage, even though they are the only one as far as I know.

BTW, the only chars I know that fight with 2 weapons well from the start are rangers and weaponsmiths, the other classes should stick to one weapon until the 2 weapons skill is high enough; getting two attacks is no recompense for having -10 to -20 to hit bonuses, and hitting nothing.

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7175 days, 1 minute and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

I always dual wield with my assassins to begin with, untill I can find a nice +Dv shield. (I tend to ignore PV with my assassins, getting DV above 60 asap.)

This is because I get the assassin to just throw weapons at any hard enemies, I only dual wield in melee against the easy ones to train myself up.

Can't be bothered reading the manual and the like, but I'm pretty sure weapon weights are taken into account too. Also, whips are very hard to dual wield with. (Though possibly good at really high levels with really high dexterity? I've never tried)
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

I might have forgotten assassins, do they also get the Dual Weapons skill from the start? That would be three classes. I know that human rangers start with twin swords, and I've had my weaponsmith start with two warhammers all the time.

I've actually tried switching between different weights (with one weapon), and the only change I noted was the difference already caused by the [ ] bonus written on the weapon. I never tried dual wielding though, so it might be that you get a bonus if both are the same weight.

Oh, and you should definitely get the Ambidextrous talent right from the start, it's vital for dual wielding.

The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6327 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

Well, weight affects alot for fighting with two weapons, but after you reach 100 on two-weapon fighting, it really doesn't matter that much anymore (except if you use the lead-filled mace or something similar). But the only weapons I ever dual-wield are polearms, 'cause you get almost as much DV out of them as with a one spear + shield.
If you have polearms at level 14, you'll have a dv bonus of 20+10 if you dual-wield two spears, and still get two attacks (and you usually get to grandmastery in polearms if you use them through the whole game in both hands).
And I've actually never used any other classes than a barbarian for dual-wielding. :)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/2/2003 at 07:24 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 7 hours, 46 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

Note also that it takes more time to do an attack while dual-wielding. So you might get to do two hits but if the monster you're attacking doesn't die he will also get two attacks right back at you :/ The speed at which you attack while dual-wielding depends on the weight of the weapons, your skill with the weapons and the two weapon combat skill.

Rangers are also better at dual-wielding than other classes. Other classes get an extra -6 to-hit modifier for using two weapons. Rangers also get better at dual-wielding at levels 32&50 when the weight of the weapons used affects half/one quarter as much.

So in short, it's easier wielding two daggers than a morning star and a heavy mace. Whips are a different matter because their to-hit and damage depend more on dexterity than strength and I think they get an extra penalty for dual-wielding.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Deen
Registered user

Last page view:

7571 days, 7 hours, 3 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

That is what I also noticed, that it takes longer to swing with both wearpons, so ideally you should try to kill things before they hit back.

Thanks for replies.

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

"...ideally you should try to kill things before they hit back..."

That, my friend, is the philosophy behind hand-to-hand combat... :P

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: