Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Scroll Case

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6517 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

I was thinking, why shouldn't we have a lockbox to hold our scrolls/valueable stuff in? You may lose your waterproof blanket, but by sticking your valuables (Mainly Scrolls of Chaos resistance) in the lockbox, they wouldn't be hurt.

Of course, your lockbox could get rusty or something and fall apart.... So you'd probably want to waterproof it.

*You pick up the 6 blessed SoCR. You put them in your scroll case.

3 turns later.

You enter a water trap! Your scroll is washed away.*

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7107 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

It sounds like a great idea to me. How much would it weigh though? and is there a limit on how many scrolls it holds? maybe it could wiegh 50s and hold 6 scrolls. Maybe?

(:
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5675 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

That wouldn't be any fun. Just don't take chances and keep stuff you don't want to get destroyed in a safe place. Items like these would be for wussies only :P

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3128 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

Why not make it hold ALL your scrolls - it has less chances to be destroyed, but if it does get burned/dissolved, all your scrolls go bye-bye.
That wouldn't make the game easier, just less annoying ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3766 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 at 18:34 (GMT -5)

LESS annoying!? You lose all 6 SoCR when your box gets destroyed, and you call that less annoying!?

Either the box should be made of eternium and hard to destroy (and destroy all scrolls with it), or it should be made of iron, easier to destroy (and simply disappear when destroyed, dumping the scrolls onto the floor or in your inventory).

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7447 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

Anyways, it will need great changes to the item-management in the game. Now there aren't any objects that can hold/store other items. They appear in the ground,equipped or inventory. It will need much coding from Thomas.

And come to think of it, I hate those stupid questions that pop up in nethack and avanor "Do you want to put something to the chest or take something out or both??" S-T-U-P-I-D!

IMHO,we have only 1 choice -> bury the idea.

Icesus
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

To solve the problem of coding it all, you could just add the Scroll Box as something in the class of the money belt, fireproof blanket, waterproof blanket, ring of fire/ice, et cetera. It would protect all scrolls from being destroyed, but would eventually be destroyed itself.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Jonesy*Unlogged*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

That's what I was thinking (Iridia's latest post). I was thinking of something like a waterproof blanket, but far more common.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5675 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

Why not make scrolls water and fireproof while you're at it?

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

You forgot Acidproof and Lightningproof, J. ;P
Also they should be scroll-of-Item-destruction proof, and do more melee damage when wielded, that a Wicked Eterinium Two-handed Sword of Devastation :D
They're scrolls - pieces of paper. They're ment to be destroyed easy. Boxes cannot protect anything, if they are destroyed - and the heat/acid that can destroy a metal box MUST be enough to burn the paper inside. Also - a box made of metal can heat up to the degree that will burn scrolls, while the box remains undamaged. So there is no logical explanation for boxes getting destroyed, but the scrolls in them staying in one piece.

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/23/2003 at 17:39 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Djinni
Registered user
don't rub MY ring

Last page view:

7074 days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

aahhh...but how about an asbestos case? ;)
Djinni
Registered user
don't rub MY ring

Last page view:

7074 days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

or one made from the mystical material that the black boxes on aircraft are made from
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 11:01 (GMT -5)

Hmmm. Yeah, asbestos... that could work. Except ADOM doesn't use modern materials.

Just say it's enchanted. :)

"Scroll case of protection" or something.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 19:33 (GMT -5)

Asbestos isn't "modern" - it's a mineral. Ofcourse dust from asbestos causes lung cancer, so I don't think it should be in ADOM (Unless you want a new finishing message: "He became a great ruler of his race, but ruled shortly - died just a few years after compleating his quest" :D ).
Also - 'black boxes' aren't made from some 'mystical material' - it's just normal reinforces steel. Their design is the thing that keeps them in one piece (and I don't think they have that advanced technology in ADOM :P ).

There is no way this'll work ;)

A realist sees a train.
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6471 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

I actually submitted a RFE for an item along these lines, though a bit broader. It was for a 'Bag of Carrying', an enchanted bag that holds a certain amount of stuff. Same chance of being destroyed as clothing, gloves, etc. RFE #3060 if you want to comment on it... :)

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/11/2003 at 11:13 (GMT -5) by KillerClawLobster]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: