Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / (RL dev) Corridor generator

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7909 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

For anyone (Stas? :)) who's having a lil prob fixing a corridor generator for their RL-game, here's some ideas that can help.

In my RL-game (which progress has stalled for the time being)I have a corridor generator that, atm, can generate straight, horizontal and vertical corridors.

First of all you need the starting point of the corridor (sx and sy), length of the corridor (len), type of corridor (type), and possibly color of corridor walls and floor (though I handle colors by giving type of tile in my RL). Here's a bit of code on how the corridor generator can look like (I'll use C code style since I am fairly familiar with it):

void gen_corridor(int sx, int sy, int len, int type){
  int x, y;

if (type == HORIZONTAL){
    for (x = 0; x < len; x++){
      set_tile(sx + x, sy, FLOOR);
      set_tile(sx + x, sy - 1, WALL);
      set_tile(sx + x, sy + 1, WALL);
    }
  }

if (type == VERTICAL) {
    for (y = 0; y < len; y++){
      set_tile(sx, sy + y, FLOOR);
      set_tile(sx - 1, sy - y, WALL);
      set_tile(sx + 1, sy + y, WALL);
    }
  }
}

In theory: Step <len> times in appropriate direction (horizontal, vertical, etc). For each step, set floor tile at current position and wall tiles next to the floor tile. Repeat until <len> has been reached.

The code example above might not be the most efficiant one on earth. In fact, I just now got an idea on how to slim the code a bit. Another note: As I wrote that code example on the fly, with no test-compiling whatsoever, I can not guarantee that it'll work as planned. I am sure that there will be modficiations made to it if you decide to try it out in your own RL.

And finally: Do as you like with it, and if you feel like it, add my name to your thanks to list. :)

Good luck!

Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7661 days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2001 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

well, i tried that BUT:
that code doesn't "look around", I mean it doesn't check are there walls or doors or floors on its way, or near it... So that could result:
###X...
#...#
#...#
#...#
#####

X is ending/starting point, floor...

gimme your email, I'll post you what I have done for the time... I use djgpp... so there is ScreenPutChar :)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2001 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Yes I know that the example does not check for walls and such. As it was only an example, I wanted to keep it simple. :)

Oh I don't use DJGPP anymore. I use Dev-C++ now. Though I plan to go back to DJGPP when it comes to DOS-based progs. Anyway, email: lockes@telia.com

Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7661 days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

doesn't it already come with DOS based progs?

BTW, I saw you in newsgroups... and Jan isn't lurking there anymore (isn't he?)...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2001 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

You mean that Dev-C++ can compile DOS progs? Yes it can but I seem to have some probs with including conio.h and other non-standard libs correctly.

Oh he isn't? Ah well, nevermind then. :)

Locke Cole

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: