Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Ages

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

25 myself...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6992 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

i'll be 19 and 2 years next sunday :(
CK
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Will be 18 in a few months.

Arancaytar: Gosh, I thought you were older than that, according to your posts I've read here. Do you have a (bad) habit of reading too much dictionaries and other boring stuff? :)
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

570 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 22:08 (GMT -5)

Not really. I do read a lot, but it's mostly fantasy and other fiction (the only stuff I like to read that you may consider boring is Shakespeare).

That may explain my occasional lapses into archaic language, since I effectively learned English by reading Lord of the Rings, which is known for its formal tone. So don't mind me when I occasionally 'thou' any of you... ;P

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 00:25 (GMT -5)

Hey, i should make a post about that. Ive always wondered what that stuff was...

(:
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

I came, I saw, I posted... :)

The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6322 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't call Shakespeare boring... Ok, back to the subject.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

OK, well.... im 13. I wont leave that 2 year gap open.

(:
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

Pretty soon Lavos will tell all the folks where he lives....(don't give in!) (I know he's just saying stuff about his age

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/6/2003 at 18:40 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

i have aleady...
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 15:18 (GMT -5)

The record for the youngest person I ever saw on a message board is 11. He does tend to be a bit, well, weird though. Childish. ;)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

Hmm... I could probably get my little sister on here. At eight years old, she's the youngest ADOM player I know (though she's only played a couple of times, when I was home from school and could manage to get her away from Mother and her anti-RPG fundamentalism). She's not too good at spelling, and still learning English; but she could probably pass for twelve or thirteen. She does in her e-mails to me, anyhow.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/7/2003 at 18:52 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 20:03 (GMT -5)

aawww if i dare have kids i'm gunna make sure they start young, no cutesy platformers for my offspring!
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7170 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

I never played quake.. but I played CS for a long time, as did many of my friends at school.

Down with generalisations! And spelling!

I know I've said it already, but I don't think people who read fantasy books are notably smarter than others (Who hasn't read LotR anyway?). Likewise, I think it's a risk to judge people too far by their games of leisure.

If anything people who indulge in alot of fantasy, reading and games, would tend to be people who have less of a grip on reality, who long for times and places (and worlds) other than their current one, and therefore are poorly grounded.
These people might be more flightly, underachieving idealists, poorly equipped to deal with the nuances of the 'real world'... And how exactly would that be a smart thing?

(and I'm one of them)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/7/2003 at 22:26 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 00:07 (GMT -5)

It might be that way for someone who dresses up as a goblin or wants to be an Ancient Chaos Wyrm for halloween (YAY!,) but i dont think that people who enjoy fantasy stories more than, lets say, comic books, would have any less of a grip on reality than anyone else (generally.) I dont like books, or games, or anything else that you cant use your own imagination in. Its not fun haveing someone else set the boundries of a world you want to experience. I think people who play these kinds of games can think of things in a different way. Ive played CS before too, and it was fun to play against my friends, but its just not my kind of game. ADOM, and other types of roguelikes, make you think. They hold a story of their own that you can decide where to take it. Games like CS and Quake, test your reflexes, ADOM tests your mind.

THis is gonna be my next current event ;P.

(:
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

"someone who dresses up as a goblin or wants to be an Ancient Chaos Wyrm for halloween (YAY!,)

*still laughing at that YAY!* :)

CS tests your mind alot. It's very strategic and tatical.

ADOM, however, is not. It's both largely random, and at the same time largely consistent. This means that is can be very erratic. Sometimes impossible, sometimes very easy. Once you've played it through a few times you don't really need to think of new strategies or tatics to be able to complete the game. It does not keep you on your feet. Look at all the challenges people set themselves to make the game harder.

Personaly I consider Roguelikes some of the stupidest (least skilled) games around. They reward patience and always playing the percentages. They allow people to sit on a problem untill they have thought about it for ages. This is not intelligence (intelligence being readiness of comprehension, not comprehension for comprehension's sake). Due the way in which they are constructed they rarely require you to come up with clever solutions.

(many games I have played I have found that even on the hard settings I have been able to use my skill to find solutions to problems and make it easier for myself. therefore how hard it is really depends on the skill of the player. In ADOM it doesn't matter how skilled you are, the game still takes as much effort to complete. The hardness in ADOM is not (to a certain extent) dependant on the skill of the player, but rather the whim of the RNG.)

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/8/2003 at 01:07 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

i quite like lucas arts point and click adventure games, sam and max rule!

actually about the fantasy book thing, i've read comics all my life, i don't have too much patience for books without pictures unless they're very funny. my mates who read almost nothing but fantasy books and the like do tend to sound a lot more intelligent because they've developed a larger vocabulary (and can rememeber it). taking the latest issue of 2000AD, the longest word is unrighteous. you're not gunna be breaking personally grammatical barriers reading this unless you're about 8
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

ADOM doesn't require you to come up with clever solutions?!

Read the spoiler threads... look at some of the clever solutions on there... and THEN tell me it doesn't require creativity! It certainly requires more than most games--especially computer games.

Now, if you want to throw things like chess or D&D into the "game" category... okay, then I'll give you the creativity argument.

In my opinion, ADOM requires you to think creatively because the RNG is capricious. You have to be prepared for everything; every problem has a solution, every desperate situation, if you anticipate it early enough, has a way out. I have never lost a game of ADOM due to the RNG alone; my own stupidity or unpreparedness was always a factor, even if it was a small one.

(Well, there's the notable exception of stone block traps and elven wizards, of course. But then, you could always get that one talent that helps you evade traps...)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/8/2003 at 14:46 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

looking at he 10 lowest scores on my high score board

2x stoneblock on head (there would be more but i've had a few more bad games)
1x goblin rockthrower
1x hobgoblin in the wilderness (18xp 256 turns)
2x ogre magus! i hate them soooo much!
1x booby trap
1x acute blood poisoning
1x pit viper (though i think the poisoning and falling down the pit contributed)
1x starvation

half of those are due to traps, the ogre magi were extremely out of depth or the characters that died at their hands. the starvation could have been avoided if more corpses were generated. i blame myself for the goblin and the hobgoblin was just unfortunate. RNG sucks arse

in ADOM there are often maybe different solutions to different problems (not just puzzles problems). the ToEF poses a few problems, each can be overcome in a few ways. closing the gate can be done in three ways that i can think of (killing everything, destroying the levelers, placing monsters on pulled levers then blocking them in with locked doors)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

This has kinda gotten off of the subject, hasnt it?

Oh well, i think that after youve beaten ADOM a few times, and have read many spoilers and such, it doesnt take the same kind of intellegence or patience as it might the first time. CS and im sure quake (even though i havent played it) does use stratagy, just a different kind. You only have a few seconds to decide what to do, whereas ADOM gives you all the time you need. Still its easy to make mistakes in both.

BTW, thanks Lamaros!

(:
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

You haven't seen OT yet...remember what happened to adom and relationships? OT; I started playing RPGs in the 3rd grade, starting with moria (hey isn't that somewhere?)
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

quake does require stratigy and tacticsand obviously goes beyond picking the big gun you have and shooting

i think the first rpg i played was back in primary school, i was probably about 6 i think
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 21:42 (GMT -5)

i cant the first on i had played, but i used to watch my brother play final fantasy when it first came out.

(:
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5664 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

my first RPG was probably Nethack. at least, that's the first RPG i can' remember playing. No, I take taht back, it was Dragonquest or something, for the NES. all i remember is fighting lots of slimes, redslimes, drakes, reddrakes, and magicians.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

*Sigh*

Once again I'm late to a discussion and the argument that I want to reply to is long past.

But still: People who read a lot of fantasy might turn out to be idealists, but the reality-escapist argument is one that drives my blood pressure up every time I see it. As if people who can imagine or dream a thing are totally insane and useless! You need people with initiative, you know, and people who just accept dull reality as it is will never make any changes. Yearning for another, better situation does not alienate people from reality, it gives them the initiative to make changes!

Oh yes, so my post contains at least something current:

I think my very first RPG was not on a computer but a dice and paper RP, called "Das Schwarze Auge" ("The Dark Eye"). I think it's called "Realms of Arkania" in the English version. I never really played that one, but it was the first time I learnt of such a thing as an RPG.

The next one after that was a game called Albion, and after that the Exile series by Spiderweb Software.

Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

Iridia: Yes I'll include chess, and other such games. (BTW Chess is not a very creative game; it is a very simple, logical game.)

I'm talking about creative solutions that are useful and save people time, not just creative solutions just for the sake of them.

ADOM stone block deaths:

You kick a door. You die. (no skill, only luck)

You learn from your mistake. You only kick doors on angles from now on. You try to throw things to break the doors. You aviod any doors unless you can't find another way to progress. (no skill, just luck/set patterns of behaviour)

The problem is that ADOM is a game that follow set and (once you've played a couple of times) obvious rules.
It also contains randomness that is unbalanced.
It's not like one time you'll get to the end and find that the baddies are resistant to everything but melee damage, then the next time you manage to make it to the end they can only be hurt with water dame. It's all simple maths.

X will die to a,b, and c.
To do the ToEF you need f,g,h or 2j+k
So on so forth.

While there may be similar rules in other games they don't work in exactly the same way.

To give an example of one of my favourite games: Thief: TDP

If you hit a guard with a blackjack when he's not aware of you, he'll be knocked out.
If you're in the dark then guards and servants won't notice you.
If you shoot a water arrow at a torch it will go out.

These rules don't work together in strict ways. If there's a guard in a room pacing about in a circle and you have to get past him to the other side of the room you have many options. You can:
Charge into the room normally and fight him with your sword.
Shoot out the torches, sneak up to him in the dark and knock him out (or kill them).
Wait untill hid back is to you and slowly follow him from behind; either knocking him out or sneaking out the door on the other side when you get near it.
Run past the guard and try to outdistance them.

Most (the fun bits anyway) of the time you don't have to plan for things like in ADOM, you can just play with common sense and make do with what comes your way.
Once you've completed it once it does become slightly less skillful, but nowhere near the extent that ADOM does. There's always another usefull way to do things, not just another way of doing things for the sake of doing them.

Blah blah... so on..

Re: Fantasy makes weak Idealists.
Not really sure if I believe that either, just spicing up the conversation.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 00:20 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but as i said, if you havent finished it before, i does take skill, and thought. And haveing things be random only means that situations can change, taking more or less tactics than the time before.

Yes, it is (technically) just simple math, and you could probably set up a computer to go through the motions, and complete the game (on average). But human minds dont work that way. You can forget things, or be careless, and take risks. There are several different ways to do things, some more likely than others. Still, it teaches you much patience (must i mention all of the religious threads?)

Anyway, i can see your point, but i havent beaten ADOM yet, and it takes skill.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

with door based traps it's fair enough, stand to the side of the door and you'll be fine. no one dies from those traps when you're on the room side of a door. the worst are the random trapps you find about a dungeon. i think the ones in lagre room are the worst cuz you can go through the same room many times but you take a slight deviation from you normal route and BAM! you've got a chunk of limestone in your head

as far as skill goes i think there is a certain amount of skill involved as well as the luck factor. lavos' bard seems to be oozing luck but he'll still need the skill to get through the game. if skill isn't involved how come i still haven't completed it yet, even with cheating to counter-act my distinct lack of luck? thank's to practise and the guidebook i know the components to your formulas yet still get killed off.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

well, im normally very unlucky ;P. that was why i posted that thread.

Luck is part of it though. And its better to be lucky later in the game than to get really good things in the beginning and then die.

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

And better yet, to be lucky throughout the whole game :p
I should try out a bard sometime, see how lucky they really are.

How's weiqi/go/baduk for a game of strategy? Very simple rules but strategies far more complex than chess.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: