Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Weird/buggy stuff.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6517 days, 8 hours, 50 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 at 20:23 (GMT -5)

ashen dagger of the sun (+2, 1d4)

Shouldn't that be impossible?

:-)

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

7002 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 at 22:13 (GMT -5)

did you find one then?

i guess the chances of it occurring are quite slim but the prefix and suffix should be mutually exclusive, same with <weapon> of disruption too
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7107 days, 17 hours, 6 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 at 23:37 (GMT -5)

it would be strange.

why not a frozen dagger of the sun?

(:
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6517 days, 8 hours, 50 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

Of the sun means it does extra damage against undead, ashen means it does NO damage. Which one works? :-P..

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 15:09 (GMT -5)

yeah, it just sounds funny.

is it possible?

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5036 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

somebody wish for one and try it out. i think i'll save scum a pool :D

i dont see why you shouldnt be able to get it, but i have no idea of what it'll do. i'm guessing that it'll do no damage because the suffix and prefix will probably be multipliers for teh base damage. anythign times zero is zero.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3767 days, 4 hours, 51 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

*sigh*
you'd have to have a LOT of wishes... maybe some of the professional cheaters could write a program to repeatedly wish for daggers with a million-charged wand of wishing? Seems like the chances of those two pre and suffixes combining are small enough so you'd just tire yourself out wishing for daggers over and over.

If you could do something like that, though, it WOULD be useful for figuring out how different pre- and suffixes combine.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/21/2003 at 14:35 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 at 22:47 (GMT -5)

We can't wish for things with suffixes and prefixes? Didn't know that. I've only wished for eternium tower shields and amulets of life saving so far.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 at 00:12 (GMT -5)

You mean you never saved and copied a game when you got a RoDS, and then experimented on the copy? :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

I only got a RoDS once, and since it was my first wish, I got really excited and wished for a shield. Then it was too late to save and experiment.

The second wish was from a pool. No way to experiment :p

Next time I get a ring, I'll try out suffixes and prefixes
CK
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

Don't bother, you can't wish for any prefixes/suffixes.
But you can wish for Quicksilver quarterstaves and whips of the snake and whips of slaughtering, though.

The wishing system should be updated, but of course, it should be restricted a bit, like leave out the best prefixes/suffixes, or make the system so that you can't wish for both, suffix and a prefix, ie. wishing for a wicked eternium 2-h sword of devastation would give you just a wicked blaablaa.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

Nah, that would make the game too easy... an eternium two handed sword is powerful enough as it is.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

yeah, being able to wish for an eternium two-handed sword of devastation would be too easy...

(:
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5777 days, 1 hour, 42 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

My favourite weapons to wish for are maces of destruction and swords of sharpness (not quite as powerful as eternium two-handed swords, but one-handed weapon plus great shield means great DV).
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 09:08 (GMT -5)

Can we wish for a third hand? That way we'd be able to wield the eternium two-handed sword AND a shield.
Lavos, want to suggest it to TB? :p
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

that would be a good corruption. lowers AP and maybe CH, and maybe speed. but being able to do that would be nice.

but, now that i think about it you could wield a sword of sharpness in one hand, and then dual wield crystal tower shields (or whatever) in the other two. way too easy.

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

Or a third eye to increase perception and literature... geez, where am I getting all these ideas!?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

Yeah, the three-hands corruption should significantly lower DEX to balance it... after all, you're not going to be USED to fighting with three hands, are you?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 06:37 (GMT -5)

Good point.

Are we taking this seriously then!?!? If we are, it'd increase the number of ring slots by one and make pairs of gloves useless though. No gloves, that could be another penalty.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

Heyy... it COULD work. If we toss it around a bit more, we might actually have a pre-RFE on our hands.

Yes, definitely make gloves useless, or at least halve their protective value.

DEX loss should start out very severe... at least ten points... but eventually become less severe over time--say, sixty days--to end up at a value of maybe four points net loss (you wouldn't know how to use your extra hand, but you might learn).

Also, there should be a small chance of, every combat move, dropping whatever you held in your third hand (also diminishing with time).

There should be a steady drain on some stat or other... Charisma, maybe Mana (Casting spells with three hands could be difficult)... to compensate for the increase in usefulness.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/29/2003 at 11:28 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3128 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 13:06 (GMT -5)

One thing - how would any body armour fit on you if you had three arms? I mean, it's not like you can make a hole in it (unless you have smithing, a forge etc.), and even if you could, it's still a HOLE in your armour...

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 18:09 (GMT -5)

"The moloch punches through your armors and hits you!" 'nuff said ;)

3rd arm still sounds too complicated. I read somewhere that TB was considering allowing using corpses parts as wearables (eg: arms) but since it got too complex, he gave up.

Ch and Ap would certainly go down. But there already are many corruptions that decrease those.

Two weapon combat skill? What about three weapon? :p Since a 3 armed person is rare, I'd say that we wouldn't have this skill and would just have to live with the penalty of wielding 3 weapons. That'd prevent melee heroes from getting too strong.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

yeah, i imagine it would be too complicated. but if it were just as a corruption, it would be ok. here i was thinking...

You have partially grown another arm! (CH -9 AP -6 DEX -12) One extra arm slot. increased chance of dropping equiped weapons. Gloves/gauntlets useless. Double mana cost casting spells.

Maybe something like this?

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

Looks good, Lavos. Maybe one extra sling slot too.
What about missiles? Be able to equip bow, arrow and boomerang. Or maybe have two types of arrows ready to shoot ('hand'y if you are fighting a mixture of undead and constructs :P)

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5675 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

BTW, Taz, to what you said something like 7 posts up: you can already get a corruption with 10 extra eyes :)

While the third arm would already be a complex thing, I think the "random dropping" would be quite a complex addition in itself. Well, actually it wouldn't, since already if you "run out of luck" you're items are left scattered around the level...

I liked the idea of body armour being useless. OTOH, why would spells cost be doubled? Methinks your char could just not use the hand, so it wouldn't get in your way. Also, there aren't too many kinds of "not being used to the corruption" penalties with already existing corruptions, such as horns on your head, thorns in your hands and hooves as your feet.

IMO, the extra arm would just force your char to change his equipment a bit. Use an extra shield for protection instead of the unusable body armours(basically that just means an exchange of PV to DV) and wear some useful ring instead of useful gauntlets for example. You COULD wear three weapons, but that would be extremely difficult when the third weapon's weight comes into play when calculating the to-hit malus and amount of energy points that the melee attack takes(you'd probably get three strikes back at you after you do your attack). Not necessarily very handy.

But the consept is very interesting. Don't know how it fits into adom, but IMO it would truly bring a feeling that you're changing into a spawn of chaos.:) Or WMoPC as they're called in adom.

Honestly, I really think this is too complicated to get added to the game. But that's coming from a true pessimist :)

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/30/2003 at 11:18 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

yeah it probably would be... but is still worth a chance.

(:
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

I was thinking about corruption and willpower. Shouldn't a "weak minded" PC go crazy long before he is turned into a mass of primal chaos, and become some chaos mutant, chaos knight, or even a chaos brother/sister? And very strong willed PCs should be able to resist corruption, or maybe, instead, be able to maintain their sanity when turned into a WMoPC?

I was thinking that everytime a char gets corrupted (maybe over the third corruption) there should be a willpower test, and with every corruption it would be harder to pass it and stay sane.
The same would happen after the last corruption, only the willpower test would be taken every turn, and would need very high willpower to pass.

P.S. And being chaotic should help a little in those tests - after all, chaotics serve choas as they are, so their minds are more resistant to the shock of becoming a chaos being.

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/1/2003 at 10:55 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

Yep. But there should be a willpower threshold that completely negates the chance of becoming insane... otherwise it would be an instakill just for gaining a corruption. 32, maybe...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 at 23:51 (GMT -5)

Wouldn't it make the game much shorter for characters with low willpower?

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

Yes it would. Is that bad? Willpower is propably the easiest stat to get over 30 (herbs, Sword of Nonnak, Water Orb, amulets...).

A realist sees a train.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: