Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / "You can do anything you want

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 25 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 at 23:26 (GMT -5)

...to" (or put your mind to)

remember when we used to hear that. i got it all the time from school, and other people. Do you really believe that?

(BTW, i know you might say "well i cant fly without an airplane, so its not true". Thats not what im talking about.

(:
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1656 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

I can't do anything I put my mind to

I can't drive or do sports and I couldn't if I wanted to.

It's a bullshit statement.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5664 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

My opinion, is that provided the right information, desicions, and background, you can do virtually anything. You probably can't wipe out the entire human race with a piece of lint, but if you wanted to become a famous author, you can if you made the right decisions, learned the right people, and were put in the right situations. In other words, you can't just say "I want to do this" and do it, it takes work. A hell of a lot of work.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6507 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

*Jonesy picks up the piece of lint*
*The world blows up*
*Yay*

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

I don't really agree with that statement, but sometimes (like everyonce in a century) it somewhat comes true... I always hated tht saying. BTW; New quotes! Try tink ( a family member of mine says this.)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 14:44 (GMT -5)

I cant say i belive it either. I cant do much very well, but i can play some good music! thats what i want to do, but i still think its not likely. And that would take A LOT of work.

(:
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5664 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 21:10 (GMT -5)

This is a bit of topic but man! Jonsey, do you really need that huge of a sig?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

yeah, it is a little long, but i think its pretty cool.

(:
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Great going, guys. Now you've started me thinking of ways to destroy the world with a piece of lint... NEVER give an impossible task to a science major! :P We are, after all, the people who, every year, build canoes out of paper and tape and cross the local lake with them.

"You can do anything you set your mind to"? Kind of. Some things are physically impossible; but with enough determination, you can do anything, if you're willing to be flexible.

I'm horrible at math. In the third grade, I was still trying to learn how to do basic addition. In high school, I had to take Algebra I twice.

My fundamentalist teachers and pastor assured me I didn't need math; I would just be a housewife anyway, like any respectable woman.

If you know me, you know I'd take that as a challenge.

With the goal of becoming a physicist or college physics prof (I'd decided on it at the age of fourteen), I declared a math major (I'm a physics major now). So far, I've had to re-take three math-related classes.

So, yeah, I'm "slow" at math--maybe the public schools would even classify it as a learning disability. I have to spend about two hours studying for a math class for every one hour my classmates spend; when I don't, I fail the class.

But what would've happened if I'd taken the advice given to me: "You're just a girl; you don't need math, just be a housewife"? I wouldn't have gone past Business Math in high school; I would've given up on ever being a scientist; and I would've picked another profession and probably been bored stiff for the rest of my life.

My teachers would be interested to know that the girl who "couldn't do math" is now taking differential equations (and, amazingly, getting an A), and algebra comes as easily to her as simple addition comes to the average non-scientist. (Yes, I still have to study more than most. There's no getting around that).

I probably won't ever get a Nobel prize; but I'm going to do what I want to do with my life.

Housewife!? As if.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/21/2003 at 08:37 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

Let there be househusbands...hehe. My mom is belives in 'women being the weakest' " One day you'll be a housewife, and clean the a**es of 3 kids, no matter what." Hope not. I'm not the best at math either, but everyone says I am, sure when you're at the start of the book.. So far algebra I is easy for me, all the classes are, except gym.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6507 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

Duke Ravage-Be thankful I didn't put my 600+ quotes on the end of it. ;-P.

I'll take some of the older ones off.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7170 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

I'm a believer in the saying (very popular with my dad) "What the mind can concieve and believe, it can achieve."

I'm actually naturaly really good at maths, but find it damn boring, so I'm sure Iridia is now much more fluent at it than I am.

Which proves that when it comes down to it, having the natural ability to work hard and stick to something is more benificial than many other natural abilitys one could possibly have.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 22:33 (GMT -5)

yeah, its the same with me. Math has always come naturally for me, but its incredibly boring.

Having the natural ability to work hard and stick to something is more benificial than many other natural abilitys one could possibly have.

That's gonna be my new signature. Is that a quote from you?

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/21/2003 at 22:37 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7170 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

Considering how poorly it's spelt, I'd say it'd have to be :)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 at 00:08 (GMT -5)

lol.

(:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: