Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Love, etc.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7097 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

Well, since i posted a question like this in the Q&A thread, i thought i would leave a thread in here for this. It can be a very broad topic, and very specific, depending on how you look at it.

(:
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 14:49 (GMT -5)

Lavos asked: do you think love is a state of being, or a feeling?

Duke Ravage answered:
On the love thing.
IMO, love can be both, either, or neither. Most of the time though, it's a feeling, and often it's a decision. (Some may argue this point.)

(:
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

Taz said:
I'm very tempted to go OT and start discussing love. I guess it is both by having more than one meaning, ie: state of being AND feeling. Oh, one more thing, I've been called a hopeless romantic by a few of my friends :D

(:
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

Well, my opinion is that it is (mostly) a feeling. its an undiscribable feeling. And i wanted to ask, because i think love is different for everyone. some people love everything and everyone, and some people say they never have, and never will experience it. But that is of course, my opinion.

(:
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5664 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 21:03 (GMT -5)

love also comes in many, many flavors. there's the kind of love like you feel for your parents, the kind of love you feel for your siblings; the kind of love you feel for close friends; the tender kind of love, like you would feel for a wife/husband, or girlfrind/boyfriend; and the kind of love like "I love all the earth and everything in it." all of these are different, and can come from different things. the love like you would feel for a wife/husband, that is IMO a decision driven by feelings. And maybe even a bit of hormones.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

yeah, i agree. you love your parents, but not in the same way that you love your wife/husband (or boyfriend/girlfriend.) i think they all are driven by feelings. you only have to love your parents so much, but most people love them more. and you dont *have* to choose to love anyone else (though most people do) and that is because of the feelings attached there.

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/20/2003 at 23:29 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

Love is a feeling, but it has to be a decision too: You can't trust your feelings. I mean, ANYTHING can affect how you feel about something: your body chemistry (ask any woman who has PMS), things that are totally unrelated to the person you love, even tiredness or sickness. Sure, you get that warm fuzzy feeling a lot when you're around people you've decided to love; but you have to DECIDE, or it won't be constant and unconditional, like love ought to be.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

Just a quick question, is love LEARNED or NATURAL?
It's actually both, but I'll leave you guys to guess why.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

Love is such a broad word. You guys probably said that there're many kinds of love (parents, siblings, nature, husband/wife/bf/gf, etc). So I guess that unless we define exactly what kind of love we're talking about, you could say that it's learned AND natural, a feeling AND a state of being, and so on and so forth.

SolidSnake, I guess it's both. I've had crushes on first sight (natural love) but I've also grown to love a female friend of mine (learned love). Wonder if it can be both at teh same time though.

Gee, I'm glad that no one here knows me in real life :p
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

It is both.

The NEED to be loved/sense of belonging is natural.

The ABILITY to love isn't. Case in point- Researchers take a girl monkey, isolate her from all other monkeys. When she is ready to give birth, they artificially inseminate her. 9 months later, the monkey doesn't know what to do with the baby. So I guess there isn't such a thing as maternal instinct. (Some of the monkeys experimented killed their children....)
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7170 days, 10 hours, 32 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

I would hesitate to postulate absolutes if I were you (but I'm not).

:)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7097 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

i dont think im the same as a monkey, but i dont know....

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

post a photo of yourself, we'll tell you if you look like one ;)
people say i look like a giraffe.
wow, how did i go from love to what animal i look like?

I think that the ability to love is natural, but in the case of the mother monkey, she wasn't taught how to do it.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 at 20:15 (GMT -5)

yeah, i got your point, i was just kidding. I think i probably look most like a monkey.... but im not that bad looking (for a monkey) :P

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 at 22:40 (GMT -5)

Haha! And I"m a lean, mean giraffe :P
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 at 00:19 (GMT -5)

lol.

(:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: