Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Too Non-judgemental?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7097 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 at 21:04 (GMT -5)

yes, this is again one of those random thoughts i come up with that i wanted to post. Have you ever noticed how the world came from completely judgemental (against almost everyone) to extremely non-judgemental? i dont like to judge, nor be judged, but when you think about it, it comes down to some pretty rediculous things.

Say for example, in the countries where women can be killed for showing any skin. That doesnt seem a bit odd to anyone. And of course the answer i might get is, "well, thats just their culture. you cant judge them." hmmm.... so killing someone because a this male-dominated country doesnt want women to show skin is alright? ok, then.

what about a criminal who is a known con artist? hes escaped from jail several times, and finally gets out (on bail lets say.) he says he's turned his life around, but later it is found out that he is still onto his same game. he is sent back to jail several times for the same purpose (lets just say he lived a long time, or the sentences were small.) now he finally comes to the owner of a hotel and wants to stay a night. he says the same thing, that he's turned his life around. You are the hotel owner. would you give him a room (saying you or your clients may be in harms way, if you were to judge?)

(:
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4698 days, 16 hours and 9 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Well, personally, I believe that there are absolute codes of morality that cross all boundaries.

However, before you start judging people based on your beliefs, I think you really need to explore, within yourself, why you think an action is wrong -- You could be judging somebody based on your own pride, fears, desires, etc.

You also should do your best to understand the other person's situation, and why they might be doing whatever they are doing.

Lastly, an probably most important, IMHO, you should remember that you are fallible. You probably do not know all there is to know about the person's situation. Also, you may not be sincere or unbiased. Your judgement may be selfish. I think you should temper your reaction based on your level of surety, and you should never be 100% sure.

"Is it possible to be so open minded that your brain falls out?"
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 01:18 (GMT -5)

*agrees with Caladriel*

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7170 days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

Eh, message board philosophy is so.. lame (in the wounded sense of the word) it just hobbles along.

Such a topic is something that can encompass very deep and intersting debate, but most often wont.

Nothing matters either way, if you are smart and patient enoguh you can find a way to justify anything.

I remember I wrote a short philosophy paper on this topic (not a very good one) so I might find the time to see if I wrote anything worthy of contributing.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 00:07 (GMT -5)

Well, i was really wondering what you thought. It was brought up in geography a few days ago that, even though killing women may seem strange to us, it's just their culture. I was hardly amused by this (as you can probably tell) and, even though im not the type to do this, i asked, "and this would be considered okay?" and she gave me that same old automatic answer, "we cant judge." so now (seeing as a way out of homework that night.) i said, "how is it that we can be called marginally worse when we judge a country that kills women for showing skin." and of course, i got the same automatic answer. so now other people were joining in, and finally that oh so wonderful bell came, and all was forgotten.

and Lamaros, i would very much like to see that paper of yours. just for some entertainment. i dont know why, but ive always liked seeing peoples work (like songs, poetry, essays, papers, etc.)

(:
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

Lavos: Next time your teacher says we cannot judge another culture, ask him/her about:

The Haitian slave colony -- The French determined that the most profitable course of action was to work the slaves to death in the sugar plantations and import new ones.

The Nazi Concentration camps -- The Germans decided that Jews were damaging society, so they implemented the ordered extermination of anybody with Jewish blood.

The Serbian Rape camps -- The Serbs believed only those with Serbian blood should be allowed in Bosnia, so they rounded up muslim women, and arranged for them to by raped daily by lines of Serbian soldiers, in order to impregnate them with Serbian babies.

The Taliban's vision of Islam -- The Taliban believed it is better for a woman to die than to be seen by a man other than her husband, so any woman that needed surgery was left to die, because women could not be doctors, and male doctors were not allowed to see them.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

Lavos: If you don't feel like being grim, you can always say:

"Are you saying you can't condemn the Taliban for its treatment of women because you cannot judge other cultures? Well, I guess you have a different cultural background than I, because I certainly condemn them. I'm glad that, due to your cultural beliefs, you are not allowed to critisize me for critisizing them."
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 19:15 (GMT -5)

yeah, thanks. still, thats what made me bring up this thread. that is a very good point.

(:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: