Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Good to be good?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 7 hours, 37 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

This is sort of a morality thread...

Iridia said she'd wish for an end to famine in the Q&A thread. I'm pretty sure that she means well with this (and not to 'look good' in this forum, haha) but wouldn't that cause the population to grow even more and famine to come back? Isn't famine a way of controlling population? It'd prevent us from stripping all resources from Earth, no? But then, is it moral to let people starve?
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6992 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 11:30 (GMT -5)

You do have a point. If we were any other species on the planet we would reach a certain limit to the population and either migrated or kept at the limit that the land can support, but thanks to our engineuity (jeeze i can't spell) we can bring in food from else where and the population can continue to grow. If we were any other species we would have died out or adapted in places where famine is common.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 20:18 (GMT -5)

That's exactly what I said when I mentioned "no bad effects". Obviously there's a limit to the amount of people any piece of land can support; and once you get to that limit, disease and famine increase and keep the population level where it is.

However, there are ways to keep the population level down beyond than just killing off people through disease or famine (or, for that matter, forced abortions... China, anyone?) Educating people about birth control, tax breaks for smaller families, et cetera... It's not that difficult, really; just keep it down to just over two children per family and you'll keep the population constant.

And then, of course, you can increase the food supply to match the population. In many places the land isn't being used in such a way as to support the optimum number of people--modern farming methods, brought to many third-world countries and successfully implemented, could increase the number of people the land can support and allow everyone to have enough to eat. Modifying the way the government deals with the people--many governments in countries where famine is a problem are totalitarian or extremist--wouldn't hurt, either.

Obviously, there are LOTS of problems with the above strategies. I mean... how, exactly, do you get people who believe in having as many kids as possible to keep their population growth down? How do you change a totalitarian government that's spent money on civil wars instead of food as long as anyone can remember? How are you supposed to bring modern farming methods to people who don't even have decent factories to make farm equipment with?

If you wish for something, it's usually for something near-impossible to get normally... unfortunately, ending famine falls into that category.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 1 hour, 39 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 00:10 (GMT -5)

and that's why it's simply a wish...

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

Yes, Dan, I do have a point :p

Haha, Iridia, I'm from China, remember ;) Actually, I don't think that there are forced abortions here, but if you decide to have a second child, the government won't acknowledge it and you're fine. They try to make your life harder if you have more than one child, but it's still your choice.

Maybe ending famine is us trying to play god or something, going around one of nature's way of population control.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

Hmm. I've read a few news stories on it... I don't think they're propaganda. IIRC it's not forced as in "we'll drag you off and make you" but "we won't give you any government assistance"... apparently that's most of your income.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/27/2003 at 17:29 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it's usually most of your income :p It's a bit hard to enforce it in the countryside though. And if you do go ahead and have loads of children, what are they going to do to you? Take your house and put you in the streets? No way. So if you don't mind being poor, you can have as many children as you want :S

Talking about this thing here in China (here I go OT again...), I've read an article about most of the male population in China turning gay. This is cuz families want sons, and not daughters. So if their first child is a daughter, they abandon her and try again. We end up with a lot of guys, and much fewer girls. Scary really, I'd better get as many phone numbers as possible while it's still early :P

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: