Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Good roguelikes

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

NaZgul
Registered user

Last page view:

7739 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

Can you post here a link to some good roguelike games? I've played only Rogue and ADOM :) Or a link to some site, containig this information..
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

Try Dungeon Crawl http://users.olis.net.au/zel/

I like it myself. Tonnes of interesting races and classes. Some "races" are realy unique, like the Ghoul where you have to keep eating raw flesh to prevent your body from rotting away... The religion system is also very diverse and interesting. There are no side quests and such, but it's realy refheshing after blowing off 100 ADOM characters in a row (it's just as hard to get anywhere though, at least I think so) ;-)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
NaZgul
Registered user

Last page view:

7739 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2001 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

Thanks, Jan Erik. I've just downloaded it and I'll try it today :)
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4704 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

Try Nethack (Just search the web, for links)

Also, if you liked Diablo, you might like Angband
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

6518 days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

And if you like apples, you might like bananas

Just a thought!!
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6368 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 at 23:43 (GMT -5)

I see no reason why a person who likes apples might like bananas. They don't taste similar, and I'm accounting all the kinds of apples I've tried. If I recall, they are Rome, Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, and another that starts with a "B." Oddly, that's one of my favorites.
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

My point exactly, Diablo is not like Angband, it might be a dungeon hack but so is ADOM in my opinion.

Also so while I'm not really on the topic where are all the technology oriented dungeon hacks?? I've played 'alphaman' but I haven't stumbled across anymore. Long live the post-apocalyptic rpg. Or a magic/tech hybrid. Anyone played Arcanum?

Long live the Granny Smith :)
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Corre: Have you played Angband and Diablo?
Except for the graphics, I think that the play is the same: Keep descending in a dungeon, which exists underneath a town. Use a spell to "Warp" to the surface and back. Meet bigger and badder bosses until you finally meet the big bad guy.

The names are different, but the play and story are essentially the same.

Personally, I prefer Bananas to Apples
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6368 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

I've played Diablo. By the time I got to the priest (or whatever) I got bored and quit. I haven't thought about it seriously since. I don't normally quit things, either. :|

I'm pro-apple. :D
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 00:09 (GMT -5)

Cal - I never got around to playing Angband cause I played Moria instead (almost identical). Finally killed the Balrog after about 5 years of playing with a elven priest. Diablo is just plain boring (finished in 2 weeks), angband has more scrolls, potions, weapons, monsters, levels and more actions. Still is like comparing apples to bananas or maybe an apple in a banana skin.

Death to the Balrog!!
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7658 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 04:57 (GMT -5)

Corremn>5 years!! I won Moria in 4 weeks!! lol! (but I save-scummed, it is *SO* easy with windoze/linux :)

Angband isn't that good, it's not "random" enough (you'll get the point, if you cheat in it) :)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

I suppose Angband does have more "gimics" than Diablo, but I don't feel that that changes the game play much. I do think Angband was a leap above Moria, with the artifacts, Bosses, special levels, etc.
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

Just never got into to Angband, after I discovered Adom nothing is as good.
Cal> Of course it wasn't 5 years straight, with Moria I mean, and I didn't cheat. But 4 weeks is impressive.

Besides the main difference between Angband and Diablo is the turn-based play. TB play style wins hands down. THis is what really separates action rgps (diablo) from real rpgs. But thats just me.
Jacknife
Registered user

Last page view:

8144 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 00:21 (GMT -5)

Diablo was orriginally supposed to be turn-based, it in fact was supposed to BE angband, but it got changed around, story-line and item wise. the real time didnt show up until very late in development. (Information gotten from printed interview with Blizzards Eric Schaffer, to avoid any flame.) Also one other important question:
(Yes for apples, No for Bananas)<--edit

-Peace Out, War In
-Jacknife

Which are better, Apples or Bananas?
Yes  No
Check results

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Is that on-line anywhere?

Kind of like Dungeon of Doom was supposed to be a graphical Rogue, I suppose.
Deviant
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 at 21:52 (GMT -5)

OMEGA!!!!!!!!!! It's almost as good as ADOm, in fact after trying several roguelikes, it was only ADOM that I found better... The world's just as big there are loads of quests but no races or character classes... You make your career as you progress thru the game... Download it at this page
http://www.win.tue.nl/~kroisos/roguelike.html
Hassinen
Registered user

Last page view:

8161 days, 13 hours, 1 minute and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2001 at 05:15 (GMT -5)

Oh but you guys have to remember that Diablo has multiplayer which makes it a few thousand times more interesting. I'm a bit of a fan myself =) Oh and yes I find classic Diablo to be better than D2, even with the xpac.

But still ADOM has been my game of choice for at least a month now and haven't played anything else. I gotta beat it once before I play anything else. Addictive like hell, ADOM is.

If something can go wrong, it will.
ret
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

www.avanor.com - best roguelike game :)
Victim of Stray Dogs
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 07:37 (GMT -5)

Angband sucks. Would you like to know why? Because every time I went into a store to do a little bit of shopping and then went out into town again, I would immediately be informed that I was dead. Apparently, some f-ing rabid dog had been standing there chewing on me while I was buying my necessary rations or whatever. That's obscene. I don't care if it was a bug. If a dog is biting your ass off, you'd think you might notice.

Agree with me and I'll be your friend
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6300 days, 16 hours, 37 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

Moria was the first rogue like I ever played, I won it in 1 month, about 4 weeks.
It took me 1 month to get the hang of it.
Wolf
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 at 08:56 (GMT -5)

Moria was my first true roguelike, and is the only one I've played apart from ADOM. It's okay, but the huge maps made exploration a bit tedious at times and the movement controls really pissed me off - something like

H-left
J-right
K-up
L-down
some other keys above and below those four for diagonal movement.

[rant]Not sure if I got which keys go which way right, but it was something similar to that. Meanwhile the arrow keys were used for digging in the direction they point. I mean really, what the hell was the programmer thinking? "I'll just completely ignore the logical thing to do, ie. use arrow or numpad keys for movement, and instead I'll use them for some obscure functions such as mining, and use alphabet keys for movement.. and I won't even use logical alphabetic keys such as WASD or something, I'll just use some really stupid arrangement instead! What a great idea!"[/rant]

Anyway, is there any way to change them? Otherwise I don't think I'll ever go back to see if my lvl 17 paladin can go on to kill the Balrog, I'll just stick with ADOM and its intuitive controls, pretty colours and more easily navigable dungeons. :)

Edit: Forgot to say - apples all the way, bananas are gross and kinda slimy. Plus apples feature in ADOM and bananas don't, so they get extra coolness points for that. And Palagran, I think your "B" apple is probably Braeburn. A good Braeburn is the best apple you can get. :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/12/2003 at 08:59 (GMT -5) by its author]
super newbie
Registered user

Last page view:

7750 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 at 22:11 (GMT -5)

I really like Nethack- best roguelike game ever, in my opinion- even though (using save-scumming) I have never beat it. It is actually somewhat easier to get your charecter off the ground- in fact, without save-scumming I could probably get to the quest at least- but it gets MUCH harder later (as in Death himself). Also, the Devteam thinks of EVERYTHING in this game. So much so, that one review said that it was SO complete that the learning curve was to high. I kind of agree- if you don't look at the spoilers you might get in trouble (but there are VERY good spoilers out there). Anyway, my two bits.
P.S. Bannanas are SO much easier to eat- no juice to splatter, just a peel. Much more convenient- but, really, I don't have that much of an opinion either way. Their both good.

[edit]
Some spelling mistakes corrected and I forgot to mention something: I HATE Angband. I mean, who wants to play a game where you HAVE to cast out of the book? Meaning you have to have light (in Angband by default all corridors are dark), meaning you have to have a light source? How DUMB is THAT? Especially since you can't see ANYTHING in between rooms. In order to see walls (if you don't have a light source) you have to bump into them. I haven't played Angband seriously at all because of this. Anyway, somebody has to like it (but I certainly don't) for it to exist.
Happy ADOMing!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/8/2003 at 14:03 (GMT -5) by super newbie]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: