Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Newsgroups

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1656 days, 18 hours, 29 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

I hear about these games.roguelike.adom or something like that. I wants in and I dunno how. help?

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

In order to get a "real" access to a newsgroup you'll first need access to a usenet (news) server. A lot of ISP's have a news server included in theyr package (they are just not very good at telling people that), and there is a number of free news servers out there too...

One free news server that I know about is news.cis.dfn.de (port 119), depending on where you are it might or might not work for you. Configure outlook or netscape or whatever to use this news server, download a list of the groups it carries and subscribe to rec.games.roguelike.adom.

Alternatively if you don't feel like setting up a news reader you can access the group via google's web inderface here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rec.games.roguelike.adom

(this is a great place to search for old messages, by the way, messages tend to expire from the servers quite fast, but google have archives going back years and years)

You have to register there (at google) before you can post from theyr interface though. Keep in mind that newsgroups are not the same as web forums. Messages are sirculated between all the news servers, and each group only have a scertain amount of space available on the various servers. unnessesarily long messages, spamming and such is therefor frowned upon seeng as it will "push" other messages out into oblivion that much faster. Newsgruops (generaly speaking) have been around longer than the WWW so they often have a "culture" of theyr own and tend to take "nettiquete" quite seriously.

Find the read the newsgroup FAQ before you start fiering off messages, and as a rule stay on topic. Just lurk for a while and get a feel for the place. Learn how to quote and atribute properly and so on and you should be ok.

P.S. The FAQ I mentioned can be found here: http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html read it ;)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/7/2003 at 08:20 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: