Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Titles

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2001 at 23:31 (GMT -5)

Hey Jan. I noticed on some other forums, members are given titles under their name after they achieve a certain number of legitimate posts (and perhaps after a certain amount of time has passed as well). For example, after say, 200 posts, the "Registered User" could become, say, "Senior Member." --Or maybe have them increment gradually, something like "Newbie/Junior/Senior/VIP/Ancient Member," etc. Just a thought.
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7933 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

Sounds like fun, not only will it encourage the quantity of posts to be increased but will provide insight to how old or new other members are to this forum. Good think Palagran!

Sengoku
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 9 hours, 56 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

I should get automatically ancient/VIP title :)

well, I HAVE been posting for a long time in ADOM forums...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 hours, 45 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

IMHO such systems tend to encourage new messages a bit to much, some people will always want to achieve a "cool" title and will post limitless amounts of drivle/spam to achieve it.

But I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to implement if it's something people want...

Hey how about this, you pick a "race" and then your title will be an increasingly "though/rare" ADOM monster of that race. For example:

Undead:
Skeleton
Zombie
Ghoul
Shadow
Shadow Lord
Lich
Greater Lich
Emperor Lich

Dragon:
Fire Lizard
Red Baby Dragon
Fire Drake
Red Dragon
Ancient Red Dragon
Red Whyrm
Ancient Red Whyrm

Dang I'm runnign out of dragon type monsters... Guess we culd just say that they have fewer titles and further between them...

Say what, how about you guys come up with some nice "title" sequences along with what you think will be a reasonable amount of posts to achieve each rank...

For example:

Humanoids:
0   - 200 - Goblin
200 - 600 - Goblin Chieftan
etc. etc.

If we get enough good ones I'll put it in...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

imp
quasit
homunculi
least daemon
lesser daemon
greater daemon
moloch
greater moloch
balor
greater balor
emperor moloch
Portrait
Kyp Durron
Registered user

Last page view:

8333 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Furry Creatures

Rat - 10
Giant Rat - 20
Wild Cat - 30
Cave Tiger - 40
Cave Lion - 50
Brown Bear - 60
Grizzely Bear - 70
Cave Bear - 80
Griffin - 90
Dorn Beast - 100

Kyp Durron
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

Jan: For Dragon (flaming reptiles) you forgot ancient chaos wyrm (It does live in the fire tower, after all) and multi-headed chaos dragon (Doesn't it have all attacks, including fire?)

Also, shouldn't you have Mummy, "Skeleton King" and "Undead Chaos Dwarven Berserker" in the undead list?

How about using a doubling numbering system that ends at 1024, ie:

Demon
imp - 1
quasit - 2
homunculi - 4
least daemon - 8
lesser daemon - 16
greater daemon - 32
moloch - 64
greater moloch - 128
balor - 256
greater balor - 512
emperor moloch - 1024

Kyp: How about Wild Boar

[Edited at 17:35, Thursday, July 05, 2001 by Caladriel]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 at 05:20 (GMT -5)

what about non-ADOM monsters, from all kind of fantasia games/books? Achieving title "Morgoth, the Dark Lord" (one level before Morgoth: "Sauron, the Sorcerer") would be sooooooo nice! ones who want to be on the good side, could get "Manwë, the Lord of Winds (or something? can't remember all those non-evil chars)?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 hours, 45 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

Weeeel, this is an ADOM forum after all, I think we schould try to stick to ADOM related stuff as much as possible. Besides I think there might be at least some slight chance that a lot of that material would be copyrighted or trademarked or whatever... Not that I think the odds of "getting chaugth" is that high, but better safe than sorry...

If anyone can come up with some cool "imaginary" (following the hob... hurtling trend you know) titles I might consider it naturaly...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2001 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

maybe you shoud find those wyrm anmes & NPC names in exe, and then just use them in titles :)
Lord of The Rings

NaZgul
Registered user

Last page view:

7735 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

I have all Wyrms names.. But that is a BAD idea. we need some ranking.. And Wyrm's name are of equal meaning. And NPC's names are also bad. IMHO.
Portrait
Ade
Registered user
Being perverse is bad

Last page view:

7710 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

We don't need some ranking. I think all of this is just a BAD idea, like Jan-Erik said, "IMHO such systems tend to encourage new messages a bit to much, some people will always want to achieve a "cool" title and will post limitless amounts of drivle/spam to achieve it"
And also, it may create some kind of 'status-ranking' and cause the new members to be shunned and mocked since they don't have this and this COOL name but they're ONLY 'goblins', or 'imps', etc...
It's never a good idea to 'rank' posters in a forum by the amount of the posts they write, it should be the quality that counts over quantity. One possibility that I could perhaps accept is the ranking by the time the member has been registered, but it creates some problems, too, someone re-registering after login disappearance, etc etc...

You make my life and times
A book of bluesy saturdays
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 21 hours, 17 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2001 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Why not keep this forum just a simple forum? Simple is good, don't ya all agree? Also, Ade's agruments against are very good.

Locke Cole

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: