Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Dem polar-bears...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 1 hour, 22 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

Just felt compelled to point out a few things, and didn't want to throw the "Q&A thing" off "topic" :P

Duke Ravage:
A: Well, I put it on the south pole because there are no polar bears on the north pole either. Although they may be in alaska... Besides it's more likely that someone would be on the south pole, there's actually land there, not just a lot of ice...

South pole is pretty much just ice too, apart form just along the coast during the summer time...

Anyway when I said no polar bears on the south-pole I didn't mean there where no bears on the pole poit itself. What I meant was there are no polar bears at all on that half of the planet (unless you count anyone that might livin in captivity in some zoo). They exclusively live in north (and yes, close to the coast, but all things considered you are more likely to run into one on the north pole rather than the south :P)

Penguins on the other hand are creatuers of the south, none of them live anywhere near the north pole.

Strange realy, it's two entierly different continents, literaly on opposite ends of the earth, and still people just asume that the same kind of land-based animals would live on both of them just because the climate is almost identical...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

lol!

i think you have been thinking about this riddle a bit too much jan...

(:
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

Nah, I was aware polar bears were an exclusive north-continent thing, I wasn't thinking when I wrote the post, and figured "Well, there's no polar bears on the north pole cus it's just a bunch of ice up there floating around. Lets say the south pole."

And as for the land thing, true there's no real "land" on the south pole, it's just ice, but there's land under the ice. Not just water, like on the north pole. That's why Antartica is an actual continent.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at 00:28 (GMT -5)

I was going to say something along the lines of Jan, but I just couldn't gather enough effort together.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 3 hours, 14 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

Also about Duke's puzzle:

Q: A woman was at her camp. She went for a walk, and walked 1 mile north and 1 mile east, where she saw a bear. She then ran 1 mile south and arrived at her camp. What color was the bear?

The most obvious answer is that the camp was at the South Pole, but there are an infinite number of other possible positions for it. It could have been a mile and a bit away from the North Pole, so that after she walked 1 mile north, her walk 1 mile east took her all the way around the North Pole in a circle. It could also have been a little bit closer to the North Pole, so that the walk 1 mile east took her twice around the pole, or three times, or more.

(As you say, polar bears don't live that close to either pole, so someone must have brought in a bear from elsewhere, and there's no telling what colour it is.)
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5028 days, 36 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at 04:50 (GMT -5)

Haha, yeah Ekaterin, if you walk 50cm south from N. Pole then you walk 1000km east, you'd probably cross the same ground a few times, huh?

Here's another riddle, but the answer should be obvious: how many penguins can a polar bear eat a day?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

polar bears don't eat penguins, they're on oposite sides of the planet.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5028 days, 36 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

Ooohhh, so smart... :P

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: