Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Suicide

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

I'm fighting a single dark elven priestess, no other monsters in sight even though I'm using Farsight. This is what I get:
"You scorch the dark elven priestess. The dark elven priestess decides to fight to death in a blind rage! The dark elven priestess attacks the dark elven priestess. The dark elven priestess is killed!"
So... did she just commit suicide? My gnomish druid must be really ugly then...

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

You're playing 1.1.x, right ? This is a commonly known bug with berferking monsters. Sometimes they just decide to fight themselves instead of the player (and might even get experience posthumously).

I'm not sure about the reason but I presume the reason is something like this: when the monster decides to berferk the game randomly chooses one of the possible targets (blind rage, see) but the monster itself is listed as a possible target (I consider this a bug).
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

I don't think so.... Your dark elven priestess, befuddled, critically wounded, berserk, and desperate, may have mishandled her weapons and managed to hurt herself--and when you're critically wounded, it doesn't take much.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7300 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 23:18 (GMT -5)

Shut up.

You know, it's really very stupid to post something insulting to a person who can delete your post easily.

For that matter, I'd say that either

A)You are a second account spontaneously used by a reg in order to annoy Iridia without getting into trouble

or

B)You are a stupid troll like Bradley who has decided to annoy all us intelligent people.

I'm putting my money on B).

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7096 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

UGH! it probably IS bradley. good point though, its not a good idea to make fun of a person who can easily delete your posts...

(:
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 01:44 (GMT -5)

Iridia won´t bother with such idiots, I guess...
The prob with the suicide: I like it and agree with The Real J. You can understand it as an accidental mishandling a weapon or simply as an attack of ANYBODY around the monster (in a blind rage)... I would´t consider it as a bug.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 6 hours and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

It's a bug. If not a bug then it's a feature Thomas already tried to get rid of(something along the lines of "fixed - monsters no longer attack themselves when critically wounded" in the list of new features for 1.1.1) Too bad the fix didn't work :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6293 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

Sarcastic -> Oh, no! Dark elven priestesses need help!
The bug is still there, (and doesn't make sense), maybe she didn't want the char to kill her? :)

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

Bradley? I think I might search for some of his posts later. Curious about him now. But yeah, moderators like Iridia tend to get a few weirdos mad at them when they do a good job in keeping order. One of my friends was in a foul mood the other day cuz some ignorant fool played some trick in the forum he looked after.

Haha, C, what about:
The dark elven priestess yells "you will never get me alive!" The dark elven priestess attacks the dark elven priestess. The dark elven priestess is killed!

Shouldn't this happen more often? There are usually 3 possible targets at most for berserked monsters: you, the monster itself, and another monster (if you're fighting in a hall). That's a one in three chance of it attacking itself. Right?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 at 06:49 (GMT -5)

Taz: that's 3 targets if there were another monster in addition to the berferking one and the PC. There could be even more in case of e.g. dark elven spider factory and the summoned spiders (though I've yet to witness a case of a dark elven spider factory berferking on his/hers summonings or vice versa. Or a werefoo and the summoned foos). A lovely sentiment, though:

"The werewolf lord decided to fight to the death in blind rage. The werewolf lord attacks the werewolf king..."

It would be even more amusing in case of the cat lord and a cat...

J.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

Oh yes, that would be lovely scenario. What would the cat lord do, if it would berferk and kill a cat? :)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

His eye would blow up :P Or is cats eye ring just the name and not really the eye?

I've seen summoned spiders and undead fight each other, and summoned wolves (or direwolves, dunno) kill the werewolf that summoned them ("you stupid werewolf! I was in the middle of my yearly shower! Why did you have to summon me now!?")

Real J, I try to fight in hallways, so most of the time, it's 3 possible targets.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 at 07:12 (GMT -5)

"Cat's Eye" is a name of a gem. The ring is the Cat Lord himself.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Bah. I haven't done nearly enough moderating to get people that mad at me. I suppose it's just someone who wants to stir up trouble.

*deletes annoying post* There.

Actually, I do think it's probably a bug. Otherwise the message would be something like Taz's example ("You'll never take me alive", etc).

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 10/27/2003 at 02:21 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7312 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 at 21:53 (GMT -5)

Its not a bug. Something that selects doesn't happen by chance. Look at confusion. On the other hand, some of the things that HAPPEN because of it are bugs. Yergius can kill himself, denying you head of the thieves guild. So can Hotzenplotz and Kranach, though those haven't happened to me -yet-

I wonder if Andor Drakon could? What would happen afterward? ;)

-

Yergius, the master thief, decides to fight to the death in a blind rage! Yergius, the master thief, attacks Yergius, the master thief. Yergius, the master thief, is killed! Yergius, the master thief, suddenly looks more powerful.
You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
A guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

I've come across berserk suicides twice, thought it was pretty funny. And both time it said, "The * looks more powerful." Crazy.

How is learning when you're dead not a bug?
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7281 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 at 22:23 (GMT -5)

How could you know?You haven't died before. :P

Anyway,I agree that it's a bug.No one would be that stupid to hit himself and die.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 13 hours, 28 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

Why not? it would be nice to have some lv 5 goblins kill themselves when you go at them and you're a lv 50 ugly troll barbarian. Maybe they figured out that they don't stand a chance against you. They could run but they could never hide.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

If I were to go on a bloody rage,I would target my enemy instead of myself.You don't want to scream and all just to get yourself killed,now would you?

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

Quoting myself, posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 17:29 (GMT 2): "It's a bug. If not a bug then it's a feature Thomas already tried to get rid of(something along the lines of "fixed - monsters no longer attack themselves when critically wounded" in the list of new features for 1.1.1) Too bad the fix didn't work :)"

Now, what's wrong with that way of thinking? Any reason it would be a feature, not a bug?

LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7312 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

I just think its all too possible to hurt yourself in a beserk rage, unless you were unarmed. Swords are -sharp- people, and thats not even mentioning what you could do to yourself with a flail. And even if Tomas has tried to get rid of it now, perhaps by public demand, orgininally it must have been intentional. I program semi-pro. Its a cut and paste job, he already has auto targeting from confusion - why does the beserk rage also include themselves as a possible target, while the (earlier) confusion does not?

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

Yeah,confusion should cause you to hit yourself.Well,maybe whips could hurt yourself in a berserk rage.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

IMO, that would be a nice little addition, whips hurting yourself when going berserk. At least if you go true berserk. Imagine a huge troll flailing around with whips like there's no tomorrow, occasionally hitting himself in the progress.

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Whips are not suited to berserking since they are really light and tend to fly around uncontrolablly.So I guess I agree with J.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: