Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / room full of cats

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

For all the ADOM masters like Jonesy, Ekaterin, Iridia etc. What´s your opinion about my recent situation when I (as usually) promised myself to try to avoid killing cats... and on te 2nd level of VD I entered big room full of wild cats! What would you do? I must say I have yet never managed to get to the Cat Lord, but it doesnt matter:-)
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

I'd just kill them, but I usually end up accidentally killing a cat anyway.

What race, class and level are you? What are your resources? If you're a lot faster than the roomful of cats, maybe you could put a closed (ideally locked) door between you and them. If you're a bard, you could charm them with music and let the friendly cats kill the hostile ones. If you have a strong companion, it could kill the cats for you. If you have Healing already, you could flee the VD and come back when you're better equipped to avoid the cats.

jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

Race high elf, ranger, level max. 2, speed 100 or so ... so I guess fleeing and returning later would be good.
P.S.: you do like cats in real life, don´t you:-)? Me too... so why must they attack me?
P.S.2: how many rat corpses would I need to tame a cat (lion, tiger)? I never tried that. Sorry for my English.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Yes, I like cats in real life, but I suppose ADOM's cats are wild animals rather than friendly domestic cats. You could try playing a druid, then most cats would be friendly. It wouldn't prevent roomfuls of hostile cats, though.

I think it's random how many corpses it takes (sorry I can't be more helpful). Tigers won't eat rat corpses, only raw meat, fresh meat, and probably fish.

I'm afraid the cats might be faster than your character. Perhaps you could temporarily incapacitate them, for example with a wand of stunning. If you have no alternative, you could let them hurt you badly then flee in abject terror. (That was a cryptic way of reminding you that if you're below 1/3 max HP and in Coward mode you can run faster.)
Jonesy*u*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

If you have a hallway leading to the door of the room, it's a bit easier to kill them off. Or you can make a door with a wand of door creation. I usually have a couple of arrows or rocks, use some of them to kill the cats off.
I'd just avoid them all together.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

100 speed, huh? Hmm... your high elf could have a natural speed of a little over 100... if you're carrying anything cheap and heavy that's pushing you over into Burdened or Strained, and you don't mind leaving it behind, you can drop it and run. Your speed's a little higher that way. Also remember to go Coward; the higher DV helps, and if you accidentally run into a cat, you're less likely to kill it.

Wands of door creation, trap creation, stunning, and webs are your friends!!

Do you have any way of creating a companion or even a non-hostile monster you can switch places with in a hallway? I've even used wands of monster creation to create hostile monsters in rooms, and if they're the first ones to follow me out, the cat may lose interest.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7312 days, 15 hours, 37 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2003 at 21:45 (GMT -5)

In my experience, the only character classes who should attempt the cat lord quest are Druids, Mindcrafters, Bards, Necromancers or Drakeling members of other classes. Very high (100) stealth and the exceptionally stealthy talent can make it quite possible for other classes though.. the real trick is not killing any cats UNTIL you have those. At that stage mereley wandering away until they fail their detection check works.
You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Why Drakelings? Because of their Music skill? I thought music was pretty useless for taming or pacifying monsters until you got the skill to at least 90.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7437 days, 53 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

But it's quite easy to train to 100% just by playing some instrument...

Icesus
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

Ya, when you find a "rich flavor" room, lock the doors and tape the u key down. :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

With the obvious problem of eventually reaching the 90-day limit, using a lot of time :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7312 days, 15 hours, 37 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

There are only two choices about that damn 90 day limit. You can play super-cautiously, and take the fewest steps in the wilderness, planning your routes, and staying in dungeons for overburdened-risking lengths of time.. or you can just screw it.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 06:35 (GMT -5)

Non-killing ways of getting rid of cats (not necessarily guaranteed, though):

-Stunning (wand or spell)
-Web (spell, could require a relatively high level to be effective)
-Teleport (yourself or them)
-Run away (requires reasonable speed)
-Darkness (Ancardian cats apparently can't see in the dark) You could lead the cats to up/downstairs, cast darkness (or use scroll/crystal) and go up/down. The kitties should be left behind.
-Escape via river. IIRC ancardian felines can't swim
-Invisibility
-Confusion (e.g. with ventriloquism)
-Music
-Feeding (foo rat corpses, raw meat)
-Leading to traps you haven't created yourself. Apparently getting a cat killed with a self-created trap is considered a kill but doing it with a natural trap isn't
-!oEx if you happen to have one

J.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

IIRC, if you zap the web directly at the cat, it may shrug it off, but if you lure the cat into the web, it will always get entangled. Say you have this situation:

#####
#f@./
#...#
#####

Zap a wand of webbing south, then move southeast. The cat will walk into the web, giving you a chance to escape.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2003 at 06:59 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

actually the music skill works when its around 50 or even less if you use a blessed instrument. It may take more turns, but it will word.

As far as the 90 day corruption, i dont think its a big deal at all. In fact I completely disregard it when I play all the time. It just isnt a big enough difference for me too care.

And also, sometime you want corruptions, for instance to help train stats.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: